Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Do people prefer phone calls or emails for notification? 

I've gotten one phone call, and I thought it was a very thoughtful, personal notification. On the other hand, with an email, you can look at it over and over (and over and over) to convince yourself that you didn't imagine it.

There's no wrong way for a program to say "yes."

Hello folks.

I am a current A&M student that is nearing completion of the program. I have noticed several posts here that are incorrect. First, almost everyone gets the same stipend of $18,000. A few are able to negotiate more or receive additional support from within the university. I so far do not know anyone admitted with a half stipend or no stipend. They value equality in the program so we are all basically on the same playing field with the same investment in the program. We are all funded as RAs the first four years and mostly GAs after that. We DO NOT pay tuition but we do pay fees, which run ~1200 per semester. The program runs year round the first two years and 9 months thereafter.

On admissions the stats vary widely. It depends on your sub-field as most decisions are made at that level. Strong GPA and targeted research ambitions can easily overcome low GRE scores. Despite this we are heavily quant focused and some people sink because of that. Some admissions are still going out and some will be even later as others make their decisions and slots open up.

Many of us finish in 4-5 years and the placement has been historically decent. For those admitted we will have a recruitment weekend in the spring. I hope this helps and please ask any questions you think I can answer.

The 8ball says that I'm going to be shut out..

I'm also having these worries, but I know rationally that no single program result can have much bearing on the likelihood of another outcome, and only half my programs have been exhausted. It is very worrying though. I took a big risk this cycle by only applying to highly competitive programs, and filtering my list based on places I believed I had very strong fit. So rejections just start a chain of second-guessing every single aspect of the application. If the worst case happens I'll at least attempt to ask for feedback from programs (I know many claim they won't provide that) but for now it's important to remember that it's not over till it's over.

So chin up, and keep fighting.

Let's try to summarize this --please add as you realize to be necessary. As of noon (EST) February 12th, the following schools have announced admission results:

- UC Berkeley

- UC San Diego

- Cornell

- Princeton

- UMichigan

- Notre Dame

I have not. I am presuming rejection at this point, though I believe in past years there have been cases where someone would be admitted well after initial notification.

I'm assuming a rejection. In past years, they did not update their system until the end of March. No way I can hold on hope that long. 

Huge bummer. I really really wanted to go to a school where I could surf. 

I'm also having these worries, but I know rationally that no single program result can have much bearing on the likelihood of another outcome, and only half my programs have been exhausted. It is very worrying though. I took a big risk this cycle by only applying to highly competitive programs, and filtering my list based on places I believed I had very strong fit. So rejections just start a chain of second-guessing every single aspect of the application. If the worst case happens I'll at least attempt to ask for feedback from programs (I know many claim they won't provide that) but for now it's important to remember that it's not over till it's over.

So chin up, and keep fighting.

Yup, this is me.

Good luck.

On 2/12/2014 at 10:50 AM, jane4jane4 said:

Let's try to summarize this --please add as you realize to be necessary. As of noon (EST) February 12th, the following schools have announced admission results:

- UC Berkeley

- UC San Diego

- Cornell

- Princeton

- UMichigan

- Notre Dame

NYU announced some results, we're just trying to figure out (sent emails) whether they only have rejections to send out.

Wisconsin-Madison seems to be done, Duke sent out results, Chicago sent out some. WUSTL and University of Washington both sent out at least some results. 

- UC Berkeley

- UC San Diego

- Cornell

- Princeton

- UMichigan

- Notre Dame

This is  a good idea.  I suggest it go in a new thread.

Others include:

UCSB

NYU

Rochester

Duke

I have no idea how my emotions will run when something happens unexpectedly, and I'm not sure the first impression I want to give a program is my stammering, blubbering, awkward thanks. Email is the more dignified option for me.

Emails. I'm awkward at phone calls even on good days... In addition, I can choose to only check my emails if I am ready for bad news (i.e. alone etc.), while a phone call can take me by surprise. Lastly, I have no idea how articulate I could be on the phone after an acceptance...

Email. Nobody hears me dancing and fistbumping, I step on campus for visits with a thin veneer of professionalism intact.

I'm guessing if I were to get an acceptance via phone I'd probably attempt to downplay the hyper emotional chaos going through my brain to the point that I'd sound like a wholly disinterested automaton and they'd retract their admission on the spot due to perceived lack of interest. I think my voice would deepen 3 octaves, and I'd mumble into the phone like Batman, "hello... oh, yea? thanks. yea you too, bye." And then I'd have a meltdown for not thinking of witty banter or sycophancy. But hey, can I really afford to be picky about the method of communication for an acceptance?

Minnesota sent out some results, Emory as well, UCA, USC, UT-Austin. None of them seem to necessarily be done! UC Davis sent out results, Pitt seems to be done, Boulder seems to be done.

OSU is done, I believe. UCSB also sent out quite a lot of notifications already.

Agreed with everyone about 'no wrong way' to get an acceptance. Of course I'd be thrilled for a phone call, but since I built my application on being a candidate with a plan and a scrap of dignity, I would hate to dismantle that impression too quickly.

Agreed with everyone about 'no wrong way' to get an acceptance. Of course I'd be thrilled for a phone call, but since I built my application on being a candidate with a plan and a scrap of dignity, I would hate to dismantle that impression too quickly.

When I was applying to law schools, I started getting emails about new student orientation and 1L sections from a school--that I hadn't yet heard a decision from. So I decided to call the admissions office and found out that apparently they had forgotten to tell me I had been accepted weeks ago. It was a front-desk person who told me and I think she was more excited than I was (and it was a great school so I was excited, albeit a little miffed). She kept saying, "I never get to tell people they get in! This is a lot of fun!" Her and I became buddies after I enrolled.

Shall we presume rejection from Penn State if we haven't heard anything yet? 

I'd like to know this, myself. They notified a handful of admissions, but... nothing else. Anyone have an idea what their pattern is normally like, if they're going to do a scattershot approach like Notre Dame seems to be doing?

UMich WL people: Mary Gallagher said she will update us (at the latest) at the end of March to tell us how it looks like (whether they're likely to accept people off the WL or not). Also, if we get admitted, we get a full five-year funding package.

UMich WL people: Mary Gallagher said she will update us (at the latest) at the end of March to tell us how it looks like (whether they're likely to accept people off the WL or not). Also, if we get admitted, we get a full five-year funding package.

Such a good program. Such a cold location.