Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Shall we presume rejection from Penn State if we haven't heard anything yet? Also, any ideas on when Northwestern might notify applicants? Thanks.

I called Northwestern and was told that notifications should be coming out in the third week of february, which means it'll be someday next week. This was somehow confirmed to me by a faculty member who told me the committee should be soon releasing decisions, as the Department is planning to hold the prospective students visit in the first days of March. Hope they decide soon!

Edited by milox

I called Northwestern and was told that notifications should be coming out in the third week of february, which means it'll be someday next week. This was somehow confirmed to me by a faculty member who told me the committee should be soon releasing decisions, as the Department is planning to hold the prospective students visit in the first days of March. Hope they decide soon!

Geeee what's taking them soooo long! *rolling her eyes*

Thanks for getting the intel work on this. It's good to know when I ought to start having a meltdown so it not happen for too extended a period.

Over the course of my lunch hour, I have:

- refreshed my email (just in case Gmail isn't registering fast enough!) at least three times

- spent an ill-advised ten minutes looking over my first choice program's website, which only made me excited and scared about it again

- Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy, but I sent you my application for admission almost a whole month ago and I'm freaking out so call me, maybe?

a bit quiet today.... are we predicted to hear back from anywhere this afternoon?

Some of us are hoping for Columbia, though tomorrow or Friday are more likely apparently. Noone else that I know of!

Has anyone contacted Johns Hopkins (Poli Sci, not SAIS)?

They sent out acceptances on the 15th last year. I'm not sure if their academic calendar is different this year, but considering that I'm strongly expecting early next week, potentially late this week. 

They sent out acceptances on the 15th last year. I'm not sure if their academic calendar is different this year, but considering that I'm strongly expecting early next week, potentially late this week. 

Yea, but Feb. 10th the year prior, and the Feb 18th the year before that. I agree with the historical assessment but I was hoping that someone might have had some info directly from Dr. Marlin-Bennett, or others.

Wondering if anyone has claimed the Georgetown acceptances? The phone calls seem sporadic -- thoughts on if they're from POI's and maybe that's why? If anyone accepted is willing to share, what is your subfield? Most importantly: Congrats!!!  

Yea, a few of us asked the same question the other day. No one responded. Given the lack of information on the posts and the lack of responses to our questions, I'm tempted to think they're trolls (but there might be some wishful thinking involved in that analysis).

Edit: Plus, the last few years, Georgetown only came out at the end of the month and early March. So I'm not holding my breath for this week or even next.

Edited by IRTheoryNerd

Wondering if anyone has claimed the Georgetown acceptances? The phone calls seem sporadic -- thoughts on if they're from POI's and maybe that's why? If anyone accepted is willing to share, what is your subfield? Most importantly: Congrats!!!  

Yea, a few of us asked the same question the other day. No one responded. Given the lack of information on the posts and the lack of responses to our questions, I'm tempted to think they're trolls (but there might be some wishful thinking involved in that analysis).

Edit: Plus, the last few years, Georgetown only came out at the end of the month and early March. So I'm not holding my breath for this week or even next.

Hey there,

I can claim the Georgetown acceptance! I'm an IR  person. Sorry forgot to put the subfield in when I submitted. Still pretty shocked right now 

Apparently they made decisions Friday and are slowly but surely calling people so definitely don't lost hope!

Hey there,

I can claim the Georgetown acceptance! I'm an IR  person. Sorry forgot to put the subfield in when I submitted. Still pretty shocked right now 

Apparently they made decisions Friday and are slowly but surely calling people so definitely don't lost hope!

Congratulations!

May we ask a few questions?

For instance: (1) who called (DGS, POI, other)?; (2) Would you feel comfortable giving a bit of background info on your app (i.e. GRE scores, GPA, publications, etc.)? (3) Funded/unfunded? (4) Edit*: any changes to the online application page? (5) Any other info you might have to ease our suffering?

Edited by IRTheoryNerd

I have declined an admissions offer from Illinois (IR subfield).  

Thought the waitlisted should know.  Should I make a thread for people to post this (so those waiting to hear back on a WL have somewhere they can obsessively check)?

Sounds like a great idea.

Thought the waitlisted should know.  Should I make a thread for people to post this (so those waiting to hear back on a WL have somewhere they can obsessively check)?

I think that would be really helpful. Please also request that posters include the subfield (my sense is that this matters for WL candidates)

Congratulations!

May we ask a few questions?

For instance: (1) who called (DGS, POI, other)?; (2) Would you feel comfortable giving a bit of background info on your app (i.e. GRE scores, GPA, publications, etc.)? (3) Funded/unfunded? (4) Edit*: any changes to the online application page? (5) Any other info you might have to ease our suffering?

1. Subfield Chair 2. I'll send a PM 3. Fully funded for five years but no summers 4. No change 5. I'm sorry I don't have much more here. Will likely be speaking to my POI in the next couple of days so I'll try to get some more info for you'll. I actually mentioned gradcafe and how I was nervous after seeing some acceptances. That's when he mentioned final lists only having just been made and calls being made according to individual professors 

Edited by kal5

And I know that most of my recent posts have been largely irrelevant to all of you, but I'm just trying to use this board as a place to spew my thoughts!

I think I would go insane otherwise....

That's why we're here. To hear each other out and provide moral support. :)