Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Harvard said first week of March, which would be in line with previous years' results. UChic seems to have sent out admissions and WLs already. Whether they just haven't gotten around to rejections yet, or they're still waiting on something is anyone's guess, I believe.

Have people received UChicago rejects?

Looks like Columbia is closing early today: https://twitter.com/columbia/status/434006114599198720

Not that it has anything to do with admission time frame, but you know...

Based on what's happening at my school, when they say "close" that means the staff go home.  Our faculty has been here on days when the university is nominally "closed."

Based on what's happening at my school, when they say "close" that means the staff go home.  Our faculty has been here on days when the university is nominally "closed."

Sure--and I think a lot of folks have mentioned that adcomms frequently meet electronically regardless. Probably more significant for the actual mechanics of letting applicants know (either through mass emails or online updates) for schools that don't do POI calls.

I read on last year's forum that Harvard sent some of its rejections via snail mail..I have no idea about the accuracy of this information. Thus wondering if anyone has a clue. Applying this to UChicago, if people heard good news, could that mean that the rejections need to wait for USPS?

I read on last year's forum that Harvard sent some of its rejections via snail mail..I have no idea about the accuracy of this information. Thus wondering if anyone has a clue. Applying this to UChicago, if people heard good news, could that mean that the rejections need to wait for USPS?

To be fair, they are different programs. I doubt that programs would switch (back) to letters, if they haven't doen that in previous years. The trend seems to be going another direction!

So, I have a question. If you received an admit to a program, but it said nothing at all about funding, how might you go about asking about that? I know the other people on gradcafe who got into the same program also haven't really heard about funding, but the email didn't include anything at all... not even a "funding information will be available at [random future date]." I want to write the department and thank them for the admit and everything, but I'm trying to decide what to include in the email and, in particular, whether to include any questions about funding. Thoughts?

So, I have a question. If you received an admit to a program, but it said nothing at all about funding, how might you go about asking about that? I know the other people on gradcafe who got into the same program also haven't really heard about funding, but the email didn't include anything at all... not even a "funding information will be available at [random future date]." I want to write the department and thank them for the admit and everything, but I'm trying to decide what to include in the email and, in particular, whether to include any questions about funding. Thoughts?

I would definitely include a funding Q.

"UCSB is one of my top choices, and I look forward to learning more about your program. However, my ability to attend any PhD program depends also on funding information. Could you let me know what kind of funding is available, and when I can expect to hear back about my funding offer?" Something along those lines. Be honest and polite is what I have heard, and it served me well so far in all my communications!

I would definitely include a funding Q.

"UCSB is one of my top choices, and I look forward to learning more about your program. However, my ability to attend any PhD program depends also on funding information. Could you let me know what kind of funding is available, and when I can expect to hear back about my funding offer?" Something along those lines. Be honest and polite is what I have heard, and it served me well so far in all my communications!

I think you're probably right =) Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks Cazorla. I'd like to see some good news as well.

The thing I am most annoyed about right now is being snowed in. I can't even go and get some chocolate to soothe myself with. :(

Soon! I just went outside and threw snowballs at the fence to make myself feel better. And I might make some chocolate pudding for myself. No need to deprive myself of comfort in these trying times, right? Edited by cupofnimbus

Soon! I just went outside and threw snowballs at the fence to make myself feel better. And I might make some chocolate pudding for myself. No need to deprive myself of comfort in these trying times, right?

Definitely not! I feel entitled to as much chocolate and self pity as I want. I think I'll just get lost in a Netflix binge. That'll take my mind off things.