Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I knew I was throwing money into the abyss, but it was the only program I applied to knowing that there was 150% zero chance I was going to be admitted. So, of course I had to give it a try!

Oh hush, everyone has a shot everywhere. This process is making me miss applying for law school (sorta). LSAT and GPA decided one's admissions cycle--it was freaky how predictable everyone's cycles went. Now, I have so many questions I'll never get answered--why? Was it my writing sample? The topic I proposed? Was a POI not taking students this year? Why wouldn't you tell people that, if so? Did I not take enough math? What does fit actually meeeeean?

But anyways, at this point, I have myself convinced that I am going to get shut out. Am I depressed about that? Sure. Am I thinking about all the clothes and outfits and nights out I could have bought with my application fees? You bet your bottom I am.

But anyways, at this point, I have myself convinced that I am going to get shut out. Am I depressed about that? Sure. Am I thinking about all the clothes and outfits and nights out I could have bought with my application fees? You bet your bottom I am.

+10000000000000 to this. 

Cycles not over yet, so don't give up hope just yet!

On the other hand, I am very happy I did not spend tons of money applying to more programs, as I would prefer my acceptance to all programs I would have applied to. I also seem to have hit just the right brackets of schools, with one rejected, one WL and one admit confirmed at this point! The WL really put things back into perspective for me.

Oh hush, everyone has a shot everywhere. This process is making me miss applying for law school (sorta). LSAT and GPA decided one's admissions cycle--it was freaky how predictable everyone's cycles went. Now, I have so many questions I'll never get answered--why? Was it my writing sample? The topic I proposed? Was a POI not taking students this year? Why wouldn't you tell people that, if so? Did I not take enough math? What does fit actually meeeeean?

Actually, Michigan's site sort of said the bit about everyone having a shot, which is why I applied! I wanted to shoot as high as possible because I'd have been disappointed if I didn't. But while I was looking at schools, if I caught the slightest whiff of pretension, I got the heck outta dodge and refused to apply at all. The way I see it, there's not much I can do about some parts of my application without a time machine (I graduated college in 2008!), and if those things are the deciding factors for me, then... well, there's no use crying over spilled grade points.

I think I'm getting shut out, too. The ND and Vandy acceptances last night and the rash of Penn State acceptances a while back seem to point that way. I'm disappointed, and I'll feel properly sorry for myself when I've got it all pinned down. I feel you there, pretty strongly.

"Are applications reviewed as they are received?

Applications are not reviewed until after the December 15th deadline. Admission decisions will be made in late February."

and below that the old version:

"When will I receive a decision from Political Science at MIT?

Decisions will be made in early February."

I think you are correct. I could have sworn I read that decisions would be made by early Feb, but I called this AM and they said "toward the end of February." After reading your post, it seems that I wasn't just hallucinating earlier, and that they did in fact decide to delay decisions this year. 

I feel like I'm going to be shut out too. It really is a terrible feeling. The worst part will probably be having to tell everyone.

If it does work out that way, you won't be alone, and the person who will feel worst about it is you. Which may not be a help for you, but it will turn out okay. It will! There's the next cycle, and life goes on! :) 

I feel like I'm going to be shut out too. It really is a terrible feeling. The worst part will probably be having to tell everyone.

I spent a month thinking that. It isnt over till the last rejections in your inbox. however, I was told that he people who matter (your profs) know how random the process is/ can be, and that telling them shouldn't be an embarassement. As for myself, my profs that know about the American system basically said: " you won't get in everywhere, but you have a shot at the schools you're applying to, so they know the deal!

I think you are correct. I could have sworn I read that decisions would be made by early Feb, but I called this AM and they said "toward the end of February." After reading your post, it seems that I wasn't just hallucinating earlier, and that they did in fact decide to delay decisions this year. 

I'm hoping it is because the old-guard of the department is protesting letting such a terrible applicant like myself in and the up and coming young guns are considering leaving the department unless they offer me a fully-funded package.

Sorry. even writing that felt good. 

I remember a couple weeks ago, someone mentioned that the status page once you log into your application had changed - and indeed it had, when I checked. But now it's back to what it used to look like right after the applications were submitted. Strange. 

I'm hoping it is because the old-guard of the department is protesting letting such a terrible applicant like myself in and the up and coming young guns are considering leaving the department unless they offer me a fully-funded package.

Sorry. even writing that felt good. 

"But just look at the potential! The brilliance hiding under your silly traditional notions of good and bad!"

You know how romance novels are like the most exaggerated kind of daydream fantasy? It feels like that. It's why I like reading romance novels.*

*This is actually why I am a terrible candidate for a PhD in Serious Political Science

Edited by cupofnimbus

It's strangely validating, I'd say. Regardless of how it turns out.

Okay, good! I caught myself wondering if it was all right to congratulate someone on a wait list, even at somewhere like Michigan! Congratulations :D

I lost track... Had to get rid of the bottles because I had a weird fruit fly type infestation (actually think they're fungus gnats - yuck!). I think I was at like 10 or so though. 

Not keeping spreadsheets with tasting notes? tisk.

Edited to add: supposed to have been a joke about wine tasting notes.  Might have come across too harshly.

Edited by Dark-Helmed

Ahhhh, one of my oldest and dearest friends just got into her first choice PhD program in robotics and I AM SO HAPPYYYY FOR HER IT MAKES UP FOR ALL THE EMOTIONAL DUMPS I'VE BEEN IN TODAY

eta: that's kind of weird, isn't it? But ahhhhh, people getting their dreams fulfilled!!

Edited by cupofnimbus

Things I couldn't do.

(Congrats to your friend!)

Me neither, not even close. The closest I get to wrapping my head around it is when she wonders aloud if she's going to contribute to a robot apocalypse. Then I crack a joke about political apocalypse, because that's all I've got.