Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

It appears that I'm wait-listed at Princeton for Political Economy. Anyone have any idea how long these wait-lists typically are? To satisfy my curiosity, I might have to e-mail the department to see if there is a timeline for sorting it out!

wow guys, just saw a long list of rejects from Princeton... sincere condolences.

Why nobody didn't apply to low-ranked, safe universities, like me? Or i'm just stupid?

Edited by MiroslavBass

It appears that I'm wait-listed at Princeton for Political Economy. Anyone have any idea how long these wait-lists typically are? To satisfy my curiosity, I might have to e-mail the department to see if there is a timeline for sorting it out!

Had a friend who was waitlisted last year at Princeton for another subfield. She was admitted, but didn't find out until April 15th, which put her in a bind because that was the deadline to respond to other offers. This was also so late that she was unable to attend admit weekend, etc (don't mean to be debbie downer, just trying to present the situation as clearly as I can). GOOD NEWS was that they did offer her full funding when she was admitted from the wait list. When it was all said and done though, she went elsewhere as that program was more familiar to her at that point. 

Is it wrong to email a graduate advisor and ask for an admissions decision update? Must we call? --- UPENNNNNNN

If you feel weird about it (but are also tearing out your hair), you can just call and open with "I'm an applicant for the Ph.D. program and was wondering..."

No ID possible but there is the promise of information.

Edited by boazczoine

Is it wrong to email a graduate advisor and ask for an admissions decision update? Must we call? --- UPENNNNNNN

I hadn't heard from UCSD, drop them an e-mail, got the rejection the next day.

I think if most the notices had gone out, it is fine to e-mail if you haven't heard. 

Congrats to all the Princeton admits! It's a great program.

And of course condolences to those who were destroyed in the bloodbath this morning (myself included). It's a weird relief to FINALLY hear from somewhere--cheers to all of us still waiting on an offer #itonlytakesone

Rejected by Princeton... Amazing program, though I'm not sure I would have liked living in Princeton. Too bad!

I go to Princeton (the town) all the time. Amazing restaurant selection, some really nice clothing stores, decent cultural opportunities... i.e. everything you won't be able to afford or take advantage of while being a PhD. Apartments there are a FORTUNE! But wow is it beautiful. It is NJ's saving grace. 

Edited by IR IR IR PhD

I am also not really impressed with Princeton's rejection letter. Grammatical error, font mis-match. Anyway, I am excited about being in San Diego!

I learned to surf when I moved to SD. Changed my life forever. 

I learned to surf when I moved to SD. Changed my life forever. 

Thanks, that helps a bit! Funnily enough, I was talking at the office today about how Princeton was my first choice, and everyone unanimously told me not to go there, because it's such a small, boring town :rolleyes: . Maybe they knew something I didn't? B)

So I wrote to UPenn and this is what I heard back:

"I'm not sure, but I think everyone should hear something sometime in February."

So I wrote to UPenn and this is what I heard back:

"I'm not sure, but I think everyone should hear something sometime in February."

Hahaha... wait, who did you email? The email I got from the listed assistant to the graduate advisor was, "I know they are in the process of making decisions now but I have not received the information yet." 

Looks like it is up in the air!

To be fair, as far as small-ish towns go, you could do a lot worse than Princeton. 

The biggest pain is getting to and from Princeton. Route 1 and 206 are not fun roads.

Please, do let me rationalize away my rejection :P

Isn't it strange how one rejection can make you (read: me) feel like the biggest loser ever? I know it wasn't personal etc., still feeling pretty bad currently. Might just curl up with some chocolate and a feel good movie at home! Any good coping strategies out there?