Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Some good options! What are you going to choose? Going to wait till April 15th and hope one of the waitlist options come through?

Congratulations, Nords! Have you decided where to go?

Haven't quite figured it out yet. I'm still waiting to hear back from Pittsburgh, which might be my top choice. And I still don't know about funding from Santa Barbara. Sooo, I probably won't make a choice 'till I hear from them. 

I didn't even know SPP did full funding for PhD students! 

Edited: Also, duh, huge congratulations!

Funding isn't guaranteed at Mason. From what I've been told, about 6-8/20 incoming students get full funding through research assistantships. It probably helped that SPP is where I did my MA.

I saw "Texas A&M" in my new unread email this afternoon, and thought, dread. I know this program has yet to send out rejections, so I knew it was the day of reckoning. 

Well, I was wrong, it was an acceptance letter. I just now read it another time just to be sure. I literally can't believe this. I'm not even happy or excited yet, I am just in disbelief since this was my top dream program, and I never thought I had a chance. (Okay, it's starting to sink it, and thus, the happiness and excitement!)

Looking forward to meeting everyone else who is  A&M-bound next Fall!

I saw "Texas A&M" in my new unread email this afternoon, and thought, dread. I know this program has yet to send out rejections, so I knew it was the day of reckoning. 

Well, I was wrong, it was an acceptance letter. I just now read it another time just to be sure. I literally can't believe this. I'm not even happy or excited yet, I am just in disbelief since this was my top dream program, and I never thought I had a chance. (Okay, it's starting to sink it, and thus, the happiness and excitement!)

Looking forward to meeting everyone else who is  A&M-bound next Fall!

Congratulations! Since I just saw your last post in the thread was expressing concern about hearing nothing, this is such great news!

Georgetown, UMD, and AU SIS are not done. 

Anyone who tells you otherwise (unless it's the dept) is lying. Lots of fake results throughout the cycle posted. 

Claiming the Toronto PhD acceptance that I will decline.

It's quite an impressive school to decline haha. If you don't mind me asking, why Northwestern over Toronto? =)

It's quite an impressive school to decline haha. If you don't mind me asking, why Northwestern over Toronto? =)

Certainly. I agree that it's a fantastic school. In terms of overall rankings Toronto is slightly better but within the same cohort. In terms of departmental fit, there are people at both schools I could work with but Northwestern is a slightly better fit. It is also more interdisciplinary and has a very strong appreciation for critical theory. At Toronto, Emanuel Adler, with whom I would have been thrilled to work is phasing out his support of graduate students and I was advised by a current grad student there to not invest my application on his guidance. In terms of cynical funding considerations, Northwestern blows U of T out of the park. Toronto offers a stipend of $15,000 CAD and Northwestern offers $24,000 USD. The living costs in Toronto are much higher than in Chicago as well, so that'd be a very significant concern. Lastly, and this is a personal issue, I am slightly worried about the prospects of landing a US job with even a Canadian degree. This pains me as I am a dual Canadian-US citizen, and I know how wonderful U of T actually is. So simply to make life a tad easier later on, that had to be included in my considerations. Do you think you would have made the opposite choice?

Certainly. I agree that it's a fantastic school. In terms of overall rankings Toronto is slightly better but within the same cohort. In terms of departmental fit, there are people at both schools I could work with but Northwestern is a slightly better fit. It is also more interdisciplinary and has a very strong appreciation for critical theory. At Toronto, Emanuel Adler, with whom I would have been thrilled to work is phasing out his support of graduate students and I was advised by a current grad student there to not invest my application on his guidance. In terms of cynical funding considerations, Northwestern blows U of T out of the park. Toronto offers a stipend of $15,000 CAD and Northwestern offers $24,000 USD. The living costs in Toronto are much higher than in Chicago as well, so that'd be a very significant concern. Lastly, and this is a personal issue, I am slightly worried about the prospects of landing a US job with even a Canadian degree. This pains me as I am a dual Canadian-US citizen, and I know how wonderful U of T actually is. So simply to make life a tad easier later on, that had to be included in my considerations. Do you think you would have made the opposite choice?

I appreciate the detailed answer! 

Honestly, no, I probably wouldn't have made the opposite choice. Of course a lot of it would depend on fit. As both a U.S. and Canadian citizen myself, I was just curious. I love Toronto (it's where my paternal side of the family lives) and U of T always had quite a draw for me. Still, I think I would have gone with Northwestern as well. Financial concerns are important, but the biggest factor would simply have been that I want to go to a U.S. school, because I intend to work in the U.S. Whatever makes it easier in the long run is a good decision in my book, ceteris paribus. 

I appreciate the detailed answer! 

Honestly, no, I probably wouldn't have made the opposite choice. Of course a lot of it would depend on fit. As both a U.S. and Canadian citizen myself, I was just curious. I love Toronto (it's where my paternal side of the family lives) and U of T always had quite a draw for me. Still, I think I would have gone with Northwestern as well. Financial concerns are important, but the biggest factor would simply have been that I want to go to a U.S. school, because I intend to work in the U.S. Whatever makes it easier in the long run is a good decision in my book, ceteris paribus. 

No problem. :-)

Yea, it was definitely a difficult email to write back to U of T. I will be in Toronto for ISA at the end of the month and I would love to actually talk to faculty there despite having told them I won't be attending. Their department has some people with whom I could certainly envision collaboration in the future, insofar as they are willing.

Georgetown, UMD, and AU SIS are not done. 

Anyone who tells you otherwise (unless it's the dept) is lying. Lots of fake results throughout the cycle posted. 

Good to know! (I'm waiting on UMD.)

I know a few people who have been accepted to UMD and will likely not attend (not to get your hopes up) but haven't made the decision officially yet. That being said, UMD admitted people early and in mass this year. No one has gotten any rejections up to this point. It may be incorrect to assume that because you haven't heard anything you still have a chance -- this doesn't seem to me like a "silent waitlist" situation.

Hope that helps cupofnimbus.

Have you gotten other funded offers or are the two waitlist spots the remaining hope of your cycle?

It seems like the one person who claimed an acceptance this year suggested in his/her post he/she is choosing a different program (though it was worded unusually). 

I know a few people who have been accepted to UMD and will likely not attend (not to get your hopes up) but haven't made the decision officially yet. That being said, UMD admitted people early and in mass this year. No one has gotten any rejections up to this point. It may be incorrect to assume that because you haven't heard anything you still have a chance -- this doesn't seem to me like a "silent waitlist" situation.

What's your subfield, cupofnimbus?

On 3/10/2014 at 1:31 PM, IR IR IR PhD said:

Have you gotten other funded offers or are the two waitlist spots the remaining hope of your cycle?

It seems like the one person who claimed an acceptance this year suggested in his/her post he/she is choosing a different program (though it was worded unusually).

So far I have the two waitlists, and am waiting to hear back from 3 more schools- but my fit with those is not the greatest, so I'm not holding my breath.

On 3/10/2014 at 1:54 PM, paperpromise said:

So far I have the two waitlists, and am waiting to hear back from 3 more schools- but my fit with those is not the greatest, so I'm not holding my breath.

Wow, that's a really stressful position to be in. I'm sorry. Hopefully, being on two waitlists and still waiting on three schools means there is a spot for you somewhere this cycle!!!

Part of having such a small cohort is exciting -- really close faculty student relationships. On the otherhand, I think it really helps to have a strong cohort. I visited a few schools this cycle and it seems to me that going through certain methods classes without a strong team of peers would be really hard.

I feel like they wouldn't put us on the waitlist just to torture us. If we are on there, it is because they are hoping to get some more funding or waiting for a few people to turn down offers (let's just hope they do it soon). Not knowing the details is killing me though. 

Greetings, I am a longtime lurker and a member of the waitlisted! My cycle has essentially ended with three MA offers and one PhD waitlist. The MA offers have not provided funding information yet and so the potential for a PhD and funding  is far more tempting. I didn't receive anything wicked specific  but their first email sounded very pessimistic. Following my response, she replied with a much more upbeat sounding email where she asked me to stay in touch and let her know if I responded to other schools. Of course, tone can be tricky to interpret in an e-mail so my perception could be wrong. Regardless of the seemingly large number of people on the waitlist, I would say that making it onto the waitlist for such a small program is in itself a small victory. :)

Yes, I did post it. Based on the fact that last year there were no recorded acceptances on grad school cafe, I'm hesitant to stress too much about the results page postings. I am curious about whether the person accepted this year meant that they were going to apply elsewhere or that they had applied elsewhere already, it sounded like the former but that doesn't make much sense at this point in the year. 

Yes, I did post it. Based on the fact that last year there were no recorded acceptances on grad school cafe, I'm hesitant to stress too much about the results page postings. I am curious about whether the person accepted this year meant that they were going to apply elsewhere or that they had applied elsewhere already, it sounded like the former but that doesn't make much sense at this point in the year. 

That's true that it was not well represented last year on this site. I guess there is only so far any investigation will take us. That being said, you are at an advantage because I have to make a final decision by April 15th or my other offers can legally be rescinded... I have seen people getting taken off waitlists (not Brandeis but others) after that. That hard deadline could drastically shorten the list.

Thanks! :) I've been banking on a reject from Maryland because of the big round of acceptances a couple weeks ago (historically, it looks like rejections and wait lists go out together and a few weeks after accepts), so I'm not too heartbroken. Just, you know, waiting for the official word so I can clean up this cycle.

What's your subfield, cupofnimbus?

Comparative/IR (depending on where the school likes to put their conflict people), with some side servings of policy, methods, and a garnish of everything else for good measure.