Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I have a question for you all. If you're waitlisted at your top choice, but have admits from other schools, it's quite possible that your top choice school won't get back to you 'till AFTER the April 15 deadline. If you accept an offer from another school because of the deadline and your top choice gets back to you after the deadline, how inappropriate would it be to withdraw from whatever school you said you would attend? How would you all go about a situation like this anyway?

I have a question for you all. If you're waitlisted at your top choice, but have admits from other schools, it's quite possible that your top choice school won't get back to you 'till AFTER the April 15 deadline. If you accept an offer from another school because of the deadline and your top choice gets back to you after the deadline, how inappropriate would it be to withdraw from whatever school you said you would attend? How would you all go about a situation like this anyway?

This article brings up a good point regarding getting a better offer when you've already committed to a school. Gotera makes the claim that even if you've already told a school you would go, they won't want a hesitant or unhappy PhD student to attend just because they got trapped. Chances are, if you already committed but get an offer from your top choice, the school you said you would attend will understand and that spot will go to an ecstatic waitlisted student.  

http://www.uni.edu/~gotera/gradapp/results.htm

This article brings up a good point regarding getting a better offer when you've already committed to a school. Gotera makes the claim that even if you've already told a school you would go, they won't want a hesitant or unhappy PhD student to attend just because they got trapped. Chances are, if you already committed but get an offer from your top choice, the school you said you would attend will understand and that spot will go to an ecstatic waitlisted student.  

http://www.uni.edu/~gotera/gradapp/results.htm

I will say this. Right now I am waitlisted at a school that is absolutely excellent for what I want to study. It would be tough to turn down. That being said, I visited a program that accepted me with a good funding offer this past month and absolutely fell in love with it. The faculty, the town and my future cohort were all great. It isn't as specialized in what I want to study as the waitlisted school is, but it has other excellent opportunities. On April 15th, my decision, whatever it is, will be final because I respect the fact that for the next five years, a group of my future political science peers decided that I was worth their investment for 5 years. After April 15th they may not be able to extend that offer to someone else. It's simply not fair. (This is only assuming you are being offered funding).

Comparative/IR (depending on where the school likes to put their conflict people), with some side servings of policy, methods, and a garnish of everything else for good measure.

haha I see. I received my notification some weeks ago for IR subfield, but I'm not sure if the fact that I'm int'l student and the whole visa process needed makes it faster for us to be notified.

fingers crossed for you!

I will say this. Right now I am waitlisted at a school that is absolutely excellent for what I want to study. It would be tough to turn down. That being said, I visited a program that accepted me with a good funding offer this past month and absolutely fell in love with it. The faculty, the town and my future cohort were all great. It isn't as specialized in what I want to study as the waitlisted school is, but it has other excellent opportunities. On April 15th, my decision, whatever it is, will be final because I respect the fact that for the next five years, a group of my future political science peers decided that I was worth their investment for 5 years. After April 15th they may not be able to extend that offer to someone else. It's simply not fair. (This is only assuming you are being offered funding).

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it. I guess I'll have to hope that recruitment weekends make me fall in love with other schools ;) (or that my waitlisted program contacts me before the 15th! 

Don't do this. You don't want to risk faculty having long memories about this sort of thing* - I've seen multiple people accept offers only to hear on April 15th and then decline the offer they accepted, which is really bad form. A much, much better option is to be upfront with them - "I love your program, but I'm waiting to hear from School X and may not until the 15th. Can you give me a few extra days to make the most informed decision possible?" They'll appreciate the honesty and odds are pretty good that you'll get the time you need.

* Edit - and yes, I've heard them complain about students who do this. "That says more about the program than you, etc.," whatever, why risk it?

Edited by browneyedgirl

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it. I guess I'll have to hope that recruitment weekends make me fall in love with other schools ;) (or that my waitlisted program contacts me before the 15th! 

In general, I think these visits are almost all quite positive -- especially if they are organized and you aren't going down on your own accord. If these schools accepted you its because they really wanted you. All PhD programs deny many students. They see something in you and the cohort around you. Look for what that might be when you are there (e.g. is your cohort doing very specialized research). Also look for things that are important to you. If you are outgoing and need your professors to be open to collaboration -- make sure their doors are open. Ask current students what the biggest flaws of the program are. Make sure you can live with them. See if they are happy (very important). Because nothing is more important these days than publishing, ask about co-authoring policies with professors. Some schools count it as a solo-authored piece which helps young professors grab tenure quicker and makes it much more likely for you to publish in the first few years of grad school.   

I hope that come April 15th, your decision is a tough one, but that the challenge of the decision is related to multiple good options. I'm sure it will be.

Edited by IR IR IR PhD

Certainly. I agree that it's a fantastic school. In terms of overall rankings Toronto is slightly better but within the same cohort. In terms of departmental fit, there are people at both schools I could work with but Northwestern is a slightly better fit. It is also more interdisciplinary and has a very strong appreciation for critical theory. At Toronto, Emanuel Adler, with whom I would have been thrilled to work is phasing out his support of graduate students and I was advised by a current grad student there to not invest my application on his guidance. In terms of cynical funding considerations, Northwestern blows U of T out of the park. Toronto offers a stipend of $15,000 CAD and Northwestern offers $24,000 USD. The living costs in Toronto are much higher than in Chicago as well, so that'd be a very significant concern. Lastly, and this is a personal issue, I am slightly worried about the prospects of landing a US job with even a Canadian degree. This pains me as I am a dual Canadian-US citizen, and I know how wonderful U of T actually is. So simply to make life a tad easier later on, that had to be included in my considerations. Do you think you would have made the opposite choice?

Wow this is quite a coincidence! I am also considering declining the UofT offer for a similar reasoning. I am interested in Adler's work but he hasn't been as forthcoming and one of my profs told me that sometimes he may not be as supportive of his students. Plus the money is just so little! I am leaning towards UBC and besides it has a prof whose work I am equally interested in.

Btw, I am an international applicant and given UBC's stats, it appears to be as competitive in terms of job opportunity. I am also more interested in the Canadian market. Either way, definitely going to work my ass off to build a career in academia!    

haha I see. I received my notification some weeks ago for IR subfield, but I'm not sure if the fact that I'm int'l student and the whole visa process needed makes it faster for us to be notified.

fingers crossed for you!

think there were quite a few American acceptances in that batch, so I'm sure there are perfectly good reasons to hang onto the rejects. Just the waiting!

Wow this is quite a coincidence! I am also considering declining the UofT offer for a similar reasoning. I am interested in Adler's work but he hasn't been as forthcoming and one of my profs told me that sometimes he may not be as supportive of his students. Plus the money is just so little! I am leaning towards UBC and besides it has a prof whose work I am equally interested in.

Btw, I am an international applicant and given UBC's stats, it appears to be as competitive in terms of job opportunity. I am also more interested in the Canadian market. Either way, definitely going to work my ass off to build a career in academia!    

All of us will have to work our butts off, but that's the masochistic career track we're signing up for. We all have a pretty good idea what we're getting ourselves into. (Or do we?: http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2014/mar/06/mental-health-academics-growing-problem-pressure-university)

You called penn and they told you you didn't get in?

Not me, but this post on the board:

University Of Pennsylvania Political Science, PhD (F14) Rejected via Phone on 11 Mar 2014  A 11 Mar 2014
  • Saw results here from 3/4, called number on the website, woman who answered checked the list and said she was sorry but I'm not on it, & should be "receiving an email shortly". Expected result but the lack of notification very unprofessional. Guess it doesn't matter if rejecteds are mad, tho.

So, my question is: what are some great academic-based, MA programs that have a history of placing graduates into Ph.D programs? Is NYU even one of those? Much thanks if you're able to help.

NYU has strong methods training, and my guess is that since the PS department is so small, that MA students will be there with PhD students. But FFS, a two year MA at NYU, with living expenses, can easily set you back 150k. You'll be spending 13 grand a year when you graduate just on the interest payments.

The answer to your question depends on the rest of your profile. In the next 7 months can you get much better GRE scores? Can you publish something? Can you do some research at a good think tank? There might be less expensive solutions to vastly improve your profile. 

If you feel it was your undergrad GPA that put your file into the rejection pile, perhaps an MA is the best option though. 

Also, I would look at intensive 1-year MA programs if you are looking to get the extra training. There are some in Europe and the Middle East too which are substantially less expensive than NYU. The deadlines haven't passed on many of them. Good luck with the decision. 

Edit: expensive not extensive -- sorry

AnotherGradHopeful,

Beyond GRE scores and GPAs--what's your background? It seems to me it's critical to have overseas experience/language training for IR. Do you know if you really want a career in academia? or something IR related? Is there a way you can gain some experience/publish something IR related that fits your interests/talents?

Reading through old SOPs, it seems to me a lot of applicants don't seem clearly focused or have a passionate direction with the research they want to do. I think if you figure that out, and focus on that goal, you could reapply again and do well. Maybe it won't be next cycle though, maybe it will be in a year after you've explored that more. Don't get discouraged. 

In general, masters programs are cash cows. They accept as many good enough candidates as possible (so chances are, you'll get into lots of them if that is what you decide to do). Funding is not at all common--it is very much the exception.  But, as you noted, many of these programs are policy oriented and they are very expensive. They prepare students for jobs that could lead them to a PhD after more experience/research in the field. Best of luck. 

Thanks for everyone's advice. Sorry, I did not speak to my profile. I'm currently working full-time outside of an academic environment, so I don't have the opportunity to produce research and my GRE scores are within the competitive range for the programs i applied for. So yes, I would say that my UG GPA is the weakest part of my application profile and one area that I can't improve. It looks like enrolling in NYU's MA program is my only option for improving my profile the next possible application cycle without having to wait another year and apply for different master's programs. I get nauseous just thinking about how much in loans I have to take out. 

Edited by AnotherGradHopeful

5-th reject. If i won't be admitted - i will kill myself. I don't have future - then i don't have a reason to live

Good heavens, no. You hardly know me at all, and only through some words and a ducky avatar on the internet, but please let me assure you that no matter how bad things seem, you are intelligent and hard working and you have a great deal more to live for than a graduate acceptance in a single year. I have seen my own version of rock bottom and, trite as it may be, it really does get better. Don't forget that.

Good heavens, no. You hardly know me at all, and only through some words and a ducky avatar on the internet, but please let me assure you that no matter how bad things seem, you are intelligent and hard working and you have a great deal more to live for than a graduate acceptance in a single year. I have seen my own version of rock bottom and, trite as it may be, it really does get better. Don't forget that.

I feel better now, one guy send me a message here in order to help. I'll try to do my best.

5-th reject. If i won't be admitted - i will kill myself. I don't have future - then i don't have a reason to live

Stop that. You'll be fine. I have been reading this thread from the beginning and I can tell from your posts that you're intelligent and know what you're talking about with respect to your research interests. Don't get down on yourself and use this as motivation to improve your application in the case that you strike out (or get in somewhere but decide to reapply next year).

Also, you still have five schools. Your cycle is far from over.

Cooperstreet, I PMed you.

Edited by Cazorla

Thanks for everyone's advice. Sorry, I did not speak to my profile. I'm currently working full-time outside of an academic environment, so I don't have the opportunity to produce research and my GRE scores are within the competitive range for the programs i applied for. So yes, I would say that my UG GPA is the weakest part of my application profile and one area that I can't improve. It looks like enrolling in NYU's MA program is my only option for improving my profile the next possible application cycle without having to wait another year and apply for different master's programs. I get nauseous just thinking about how much in loans I have to take out. 

My impression is that the NYU MA program is not a great stepping stone to PhD programs, for the reason I spell out below. Others should feel free to correct me on this issue, and of course my comments here should not influence your choices unduly.

Based on what I know about the MA program, it is not staffed by the faculty from the PhD program, and courses are offered separately. See, for example, this list: http://politics.as.nyu.edu/object/ma.scheduleFall2014 of courses for Fall 2014. None of the folks teaching MA only courses, except Cohen, are regular faculty. Other courses are open to MA students only by permission, and many of the PhD courses are not even listed here as options for MA students. Students in this program won't interact much with the NYU Politics faculty, won't get letters from them for re-applying, and won't get NYU training.

All that said, NYU may be the best option for you. But I wanted to put my impressions forward in the interest of starting a conversation that might help you and others make a more informed decision about the program.

Yahoo...got in Wyoming with full tuition remission and TA fellowship !! Any thoughts ?

I am doing my MA at the University of WYoming. send me a message if you have any questions.... but I assure you, you will love it. Even though, it may not be Harvard, there is a lot of funding, awesome professors, and the head of the department gets an impressive list of people our here (who will have roundtables with students).