Tips on cutting some moving costs

ylimer

- Ship all your media (books, CDs, DVDs) via USPS. It is shipped at a much cheaper rate. I think you can send about 200lbs. for less than $100.

- Ship your heaviest stuff in large flat rate boxes. I stuffed all my shoes in two boxes and it was $16ish a box. They would have taken up a lot of room in my car.

- Price out freight for shipping furniture. You can get a mattress box from a store and ship it freight for cheaper than it would cost to get a uhaul rental sometimes. 

- If you know your parents will be sending you package, leave a bag of off-season clothing for them to use as packaging materials.

- Sell everything you can and rebuy/CL when you get there. You'll be sad when you realize how much you spend in shipping vs. how much it really would have cost to just sell and rebuy.

- Don't forget, the heavier your car, the more gas you go through.

Hope some of these help!

If you're using a moving truck but not hiring a moving company (like getting a uhaul or something), you can hiring moving help.  Local moving helpers will advertise on Uhaul.com and you can hire 2-3 people to load or unload for you.  You can get buddies to help you load up, but once you're in your new town, you might not have friends around to do that.  Hiring moving help can make it go much quicker, and it costs much less than hiring a moving company.

I was just going to drive my family's two cars and enlist my mother, father, and 2 strong brothers.

But then again, I don't have a lot of stuff to bring it seems...just half of a one bedroom.

Edited by iampheng

OMG this was awesome, I have been asking people about this lately and got nothing.  I already started selling things and I'll do everything else on your list.  I also have to move my pets.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm moving my dog 8 1/2 hours on Saturday. He wasn't crate-trained up to this point, so for the last couple weeks, I've been slowly getting him used to being in his box -- lots of treats, a positive tone of voice when putting him in there, long walks as soon as I get home, etc. He's adapted pretty quickly, and I hope it'll make the process easier for me and less traumatic for him. I'm planning on stopping every hour or hour and a half, which will make the trip longer, but should keep him more comfortable.

Also, if you're renting a U-Haul, the trailers are far cheaper than the trucks for long distance moves, since the trucks charge by the mile. The only thing to consider is how much your vehicle can tow. My sedan can't do very much, but my boyfriend' jeep has all the capacity we need for a 6'x12' trailer, at nearly half the price of a much smaller truck.

I'm glad you posted this. I'm selling/giving away all of my furniture. We'll see how much I can fit in my little car, but I know my books won't fit. Media mail it is!

Not sure if it was too late to chip in my opinion, but I don't think USPS is a great idea if you are shipping a lot of stuff and crossing country, based on my personal experience last year.

Through this (https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_US), I determined that it took me less than $250 to ship everything that I have coast-to-coast. I shipped 5-7 boxes of clothing, books, personal items, a folding bike, etc.. I doubt that I have 360 lbs of stuff to ship, but the boxes that I have should be at least 15 x 15 x 15 in. (just wander around a chemistry / biochemistry / biology building in your nearby campus, there should be a lot of free boxes to pick up). What it means is that your price is predominantly depends on the weight that you are shipping.

Here is an exaggerated example by UPS Ground (that you can compare it with USPS, which should cost a lot more):

Under the assumption of"

1. BYOBoxes. The boxes / Packaging = 18 x 13 x 3 in

2. Each package is 60 lbs

3. Total of 6 packages (Hence, 360 lbs)

• UPS Ground
  • Latest Pickup Time: 5:30 P.M. Thursday 
    July 25, 2013 
  • Schedule by : 4:30 P.M.
  • Days In Transit: 4
  • Delivered By: 
    By End of Day Wednesday 
    July 31, 2013  Guaranteed
  • 554.58  USD *
  • Billable Weight: 360.0 lbs.

* Rate includes a fuel surcharge

ps. I don't recall if there is even a cheaper option that UPS Ground, what I do know though is it costed me something around $1 +/- $0.5 for a $100 insurance coverage. So, for my bike, I had a $1000 insurance coverage just because it was affordable.

UPDATE: According to here: http://postcalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?m=7&p=60&o=0&dz=32306&oz=92122&pob=0&MailingDate=6/25/2013&MailingTime=8:00%20AM&rect=True&l=18&h=13&w=3&g=0

Using the same weight (60 lbs) and dimension (18 x 13 x 3), it will cost $100.30 for 1 box. I'm not sure how the OP determined that it is cheaper to ship heavier-things through USPS. As far as I know, the bigger, the heavier package you have, the more expensive it is to ship/mail through USPS.

Priority Mail® Options

Priority Mail®QuestionMark.jpg
Thu, Jun 27 $117.70 $100.30 (Online price for 6 packages of 60 lbs = $100.30 x 6 = ~$601.80)

Edited by aberrant

aberrant, I believe the assumption is that you would not be using Priority Mail if shipping USPS. Instead, you'd be shipping Parcel Post or Media Mail. Media Mail works out to under 50 cents a pound generally speaking. And of course all of this depends a great deal on how far you're moving since the prices are based on ZIP codes.

I used USPS for about 20 medium-large boxes, and it cost me about $450. I had an inventory for each box and insured every one. About 4-5 of those were media mail for my books. I had no problems whatsoever with their transit from NC to my family's home in CA; I like to think that the purchase of insurance, plus showing up at the counter super-organized, ensured that they took care of my packages.

• 2 weeks later...

To add to mssmith's comment, for long-distance moves, UHaul gives you set amount of miles you can go without extra charges; Budget and Penske are usually unlimited.

We got a 20% off coupon for Budget when we did our USPS change of address online.

For those moving (or otherwise driving long distances) with dogs, I highly recommend dog seat belts - for your safety and theirs if there were an accident. This guy reviewed a bunch of models; click the links under Table of Contents: http://www.agilepooch.com/dogstuff/dogbelts/dogbelts.html   TL;DR - most of the cheap ones will be worthless in a major accident. We have been using Ruff Rider Roadies for our dogs for log car trips for a couple of years now, and I'm very pleased.

Also, I posted this in another thread, but depending on what kind of stuff you own and how you are moving, I'm not entirely convinced that replacing stuff is more cost-effective than moving it.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have tips for those who are not replacing their stuff? I have a large, fully furnished apartment worth of stuff, with some items being somewhat pricey, so in my case I don't think it would be cost effective to replace everything. I'm having trouble figuring out the best option for moving everything though. Especially since I'm moving from Florida to Chicago which is quite a distance.

I've heard that some truck companies do multi-family moves in a large truck which are cheaper than having a small truck all to yourself. I have no idea how to find these companies though as my google searching is not helping. 

Right now I have reserved a Penske truck, but still not sure if this is the best option.

The big, national moving companies generally charge by weight, and will put your stuff on a truck with things from other familes moving to/from someone on the same general route. You have to have some flexibility if you use one of them, since pick up and delivery can both vary based on where else they have to go. From getting estimates, it seems you can probably get them to guarantee one date (pick up or delivery), but the other will be at the mercy of their schedule. I had an estimator from United look at my apartment, and he suggested their crate/freight option. They would load my stuff into wooden crates (POD size), and take them to their warehouse. The crate would go on a regular freight truck, to be delivery sometime between 7-21 days after pickup. The earliest they could deliver was the first day of orientation for me, so that's a no go.

I ended up getting four different estimates. Three were about the same price - one could deliver within 48 hours, but had terrible reviews. United has great reviews, but would take at least a week to get my stuff. A smaller local company could deliver quickly, but only if someone else was moving to the same general area at the same time. Finally, my hair stylist recommened a friends moving company - great reviews, can deliver within 48 hours, and $600 less than the others! They are a small company - just the owner, a 2 man crew, and a truck, so not much overhead.

So, definitely shop around.

Like puchi, I have some really nice furniture that I'm looking to ship (a full bed, two dressers, a nightstand, and an AC unit) and am trying to figure out the cheapest way of shipping them. I'm going from Memphis to Baltimore, have no specific time requirements, and just want it there for the cheapest rate.

I've looked at getting a pod or small uhaul truck, but I'm nervous about trying to drive cross country (myself) with a uhaul on the back of my tiny Honda.

Like puchi, I have some really nice furniture that I'm looking to ship (a full bed, two dressers, a nightstand, and an AC unit) and am trying to figure out the cheapest way of shipping them. I'm going from Memphis to Baltimore, have no specific time requirements, and just want it there for the cheapest rate.

I've looked at getting a pod or small uhaul truck, but I'm nervous about trying to drive cross country (myself) with a uhaul on the back of my tiny Honda.

I'm moving from NC to Balitmore. I looked into using a POD or relocube, and hiring movers to load/unload. It's definitely the cheapest option (the same or cheaper than driving a uhaul yourself). I ended up going with a full service mover because of the logistics of parking and unloading in downtown Balitmore. If you will need street parking for the truck or POD, you have to get a special permit from the city. Logistically, it seemed difficult to get POD to drop off and pick up on the same day while also having enough time to unload.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up shoving everything I could into my little car, and then a few things in my parents' car (they came down with me for a couple of days). The only thing I didn't get to bring was my big TV. I sold/donated all of my furniture before I left, so when I got here, I hit thrift stores to buy what furniture I could. I bought other furniture at Walmart and Target for decent prices. I have the essentials, now, and can get more things, later, once I get paid. That was definitely the easier option for me since my apartment complex in the middle of the city would have been really difficult to get a truck into.

That doesn't work for everyone, but I didn't have nice furniture to begin with, and I'm okay with having cheaper stuff since I know I will be making enough to replace it and also since I will be moving again within the next 6 years.

Cross posting from another thread... maybe someone in here might know!

I'm moving from Toronto to LA soon. Every shipping rate I've been able to find has been ridiculously expensive for just 20 lbs of material. Obviously I'm thinking of sending my books and what not but now I'm kind of thinking I should just lug those in my suitcases and send lighter things later by mail.

Anyone have specific Canadian East --> US West shipping experiences?

The best thing about Penske is if you find a cheaper rate on their site they will change your rate. They also give 20% student discount. If you are going South to North you can get a great rate with Budget or Penske. It was 1/2 the cost of what UHaul quoted me with unlimited miles!!! Plus found out my car insurance and renters insurance covered everything but LDW!

Edited by EdYouKateOr

• 5 months later...

If you are looking to cut down on your moving cost, you should check out Tri-State Moving Systems, They are a reliable Full Service Moving group, with professional, fully trained members. They also might be able to save you on making multiple trips or mailing fragile items that could be damaged if not properly handled.

I hope this helps 

Edited by Steve715

Guest Gnome Chomsky

You can always adopt a military mentality and leave behind everything that doesn't fit in bags that you can carry on your back. George Carlin said people have a lot of shit, and some Japanese historical figure (forget his name) said you can't bring your belongings to the grave. I have a backpack for my electronics and a duffle bag for my clothes. I might bring my bike too. Not sure about the plane policy on bikes.

why not save money on the plane ticket and just bike your way crosscountry with your luggage? I can show you how to make a bike cargo trailer with $120 bucks.

anyway, good idea on shipping all the small boxes that'll free up 2 boxes up from my car trunk. I will also throw out there getting one of those vacuum bags to store all your clothes and fabrics, especially those with lots of fluff. it doesn't make sense to waste all that space on air.

Edited by spectastic

I have a crap ton of furniture.. I lugged it clear across the country in a rental truck and paid to have my car shipped... for more than the value of my actual car, because that was cheaper than paying a moving company yo relocate the furniture.

Now I've got a "mini SUV" and i don't know what's going to make the trek and what isn't. Thankfully i'm only looking at like a 1-day drive, so maybe in multiple trips or I can con my family into making a "vacation" out of it and helping me relocate.

All else fails I'm going to just try and sell it. Much of it has been in storage since I got back here.

Some very interesting and creative ideas. How could one make a cargo trailer and how might a young woman find a safe and inexpensive place to sleep at night and a safe place to store the cargo during a cross country trip? 

why not save money on the plane ticket and just bike your way crosscountry with your luggage? I can show you how to make a bike cargo trailer with $120 bucks.

anyway, good idea on shipping all the small boxes that'll free up 2 boxes up from my car trunk. I will also throw out there getting one of those vacuum bags to store all your clothes and fabrics, especially those with lots of fluff. it doesn't make sense to waste all that space on air.

Edited by jenste