Tips on cutting some moving costs

ylimer

I was more or less screwing around about biking cross country with 300+ lbs of luggage. But people do actually ride their bikes cross country., They typically carry around 30 lbs of gear, including a sleeping bag. They'd just find a quiet place to camp out, where nobody would find them, much less than bother them (ladies may have bigger needs though). 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66w56k2gsqU This guy looks like he got his trailer from someone in my hometown, who runs a small bike trailer business from his garage, reasonably priced too (like $500 for something that big?). I couldn't understand why he put the wheels so far back. The weight distribution would put more stress on the hinge, and put a lot more weight on the back wheel. Oh well, they work like a charm, and a hell of a lighter and sturdier than the one I made.

nevermind, the guy's from seattle. I think there's another guy in Portland that makes these trailers. they like bikes a lot over in portland.

Edited by spectastic

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I was more or less screwing around about biking cross country with 300+ lbs of luggage. But people do actually ride their bikes cross country., They typically carry around 30 lbs of gear, including a sleeping bag. They'd just find a quiet place to camp out, where nobody would find them, much less than bother them (ladies may have bigger needs though). 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66w56k2gsqU This guy looks like he got his trailer from someone in my hometown, who runs a small bike trailer business from his garage, reasonably priced too (like $500 for something that big?). I couldn't understand why he put the wheels so far back. The weight distribution would put more stress on the hinge, and put a lot more weight on the back wheel. Oh well, they work like a charm, and a hell of a lighter and sturdier than the one I made.

nevermind, the guy's from seattle. I think there's another guy in Portland that makes these trailers. they like bikes a lot over in portland.

I was actually considering that. I have almost 4 months before I need to get to my new school. The cost I'd save on not buying a plane ticket would cover what it would cost to mail my belongings cross country. 

How long do you think it would take to bike 3,300 miles? 

Edited by Gnome Chomsky

how much are you going to bring with you? I've never done something like that before, but if you go to bikeforums.net, there's a whole bunch of wise old folks, a lot of them know way more than I do.

3300 miles, 80 miles a day (that's a very generous amount if you can sustain it). you do the math. And as I remember, you have a fixie, am I right? Fixies suck at climbing. You're going to need a generous gear ratio to get you up those 20% inclines, which will inevitably happen. There are a variety of other factors too. you're going to have to either get a new bike or customize that baby up with some thick tires, compatible saddle, the whole getup. That stuff adds up fast. Biking long distance with a bad setup will seriously fk you up. A small discomfort will multiply over long distance and turn into real pain, and eventually injury. You're probably going to have to start training and take some baby steps before shocking your body with a tour like that. But I highly recommend you doing your research first. Visit the forum I showed you, lots of information on there I could never tell you.

oh and I'll be honest. this idea is completely ridiculous. just be prepared to get shot down. 

Edited by spectastic

• 1 month later...

Thinking about getting even just my clothes and some room accessories anywhere is just daunting. My dad keeps reminding me he went to grad school with nothing but a duffle bag* while my mom promises she'll help ship whatever I need. sigh.

Screw it, I'm just gonna ask other MA students interested in moving to SoCal if they want to pitch in and rent something together. XD Now's the time to meet people; we'd have a few months to get acquainted and decide if it'd work out!!

(This sounds like a weird romantic comedy movie.)

Any suggestions if all your furniture is cheap (except my bike, I guess)? 

My bed, desk, shelves, dresser, and such were cheap/free... so I can't gain much money off selling them. I'm trying to work out if it would cost more to move all my stuff in one go vs. shipping all my clothes/books etc AND having to buy furniture.

I can't help but think it might be more expensive to buy furniture once I'm there! Especially since I'd have to rent a truck even then to get it back, and I might not catch good sales since I'd be desperate to sleep in a bed and wouldn't know the area well... 

Maybe the distance matters... I could be going to a fairly close grad program vs. a far one, so I guess I have time to consider...

It really depends on what you want for furniture once you move. There will be Labor Day sales for sure that you could hit after moving. As for a bed, most places offer free delivery on mattresses so you wouldn't need to rent a truck. Or, you could rent a truck and then pick up stuff you've found on Craig's List, for example. I moved cross-country once just in my car and once by shipping my stuff but, the second time I had more expensive stuff that would've cost more to replace than to move. The first time, my stuff was mostly free or cheap so I either sold it on Craig's List or gave it away to friends and family in the area. There are lots of sites where you can estimate how much it would cost to move your stuff whether by renting a truck or by using a service like ABF U-Pack, PODS, etc. Maybe that will help you figure out which way makes more sense?

I'm minimizing all of my belongings to what I can fit into my sedan to move across country. Anything else, I'll buy when I'm there. The moving costs just aren't worth it, knowing I'll have to move again in a couple years anyway.

I did the same thing, I actually worked for two years after I graduated and before starting graduate school but I was able to keep things down to just my clothes, cookware and some essential things. Also living in a furnished apartment really helped, basically all I had to do was buy a table from ikea for $40 and load it into my car for the trip. I don't think it's worth the hassle of shipping furniture or other large items since you're moving to a college town anyway and there should be plenty of cheap furniture there. You're better off selling your large items and buying used furniture at your destination. As for things like books and CDs, just take what you can fit in your car, store the rest at a friend's/family's house and just ask them to ship it as you want/need it. 

As someone who has moved from California to Kansas, Kansas to California, California to Minnesota, Minnesota to Maine, Maine to Massachusetts, and Massachusetts to Maryland (Maryland to....?) all as an adult, I know a few things about moving.  

*Do not move junk, garbage, etc.  This may sound redundant, but I guarantee that you will spend the time packing and shipping crap you do not need nor even want.  

*Divide your stuff into three lists/piles:  the stuff you absolutely cannot live without, the stuff you can live without, and the stuff you are on the fence about.  You will notice that the pile of stuff you absolutely cannot live without is the smallest pile if you are honest.  Get rid of the stuff you can live without and honestly think about the rest.  

*Donate what you cannot sell (get receipts for tax deductions) and sell what you can.  Sell as much furniture as you can and keep in mind that IKEA and thrift stores are cheap.  

*Chances are high that this move is going to be temporary.  I guarantee you will still have stuff packed away in boxes when you finish grad school.  This is the type of stuff you should get rid of.  

*Store stuff with family if possible.  It is going to take time to set up your new place anyways, if something can wait, let it wait.  Have this stuff slowly shipped over time if needed. 

*Purchase boxes from Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc.  They are cheaper than purchasing from "box" stores, moving stores, etc. Of course you can cruise stores and businesses for used boxes they are tossing out, but...

*Try and stick with the same-sized box.  It makes packing and stacking that much more easier.  

*Try not to move during August; usually the hottest time of the year....

*Get friends to help with the move instead of hiring movers.  You'd be surprised at how much work a person is willing to do for a case of cheap beer and/or a pizza.  

*This is a matter of personal tastes, but there are websites that list items and services offered for free, including Craigslist.  If you are moving to a college town (ahem, Boston), chances are high that you can acquire a mansions-worth of stuff for free or cheap from undergrads who are moving back home and leaving their "stuff" behind.

*Penske and UHual are about equal in my experience.  

*If you require a moving truck and will also bring your car, just rent that car-tow-aparatus and tow your car with the moving truck.  It'll be cheaper than paying for gas for two vehicles.  

*Try to reserve a moving truck as far in advance as possible.  The closer to the 1st of the month it gets the more these things become unavailable.  

*Books are heavy.  A "small" box of books can easily weight 80 pounds or more.  Disperse your library between multiple boxes, filling the rest of the box[es] up with blankets, clothing, pillows, and other light items.  You will thank me for this tip.

*Begin packing/downsizing as soon as possible.  Believe me, it is never too soon to start the moving process.  I guarantee you have way more shit than you think you have and will find yourself scrambling to pack at the last minute.  This is when you will end up packing and moving garbage, stuff you do not need or want, etc.  

*Shipping stuff through UPS and FedEx can get expensive.  That 80 pound box of books is going to run around $90.  Ten of those boxes is $900 right there, which could be roughly the costs of a moving truck depending on how are you are moving. USPS has a media mail rate, which might be cheaper.  You can also ship via Amtrak and passenger plane...not sure on the pricing, though.  

The absolute cheapest way to move is to move with the least amount of stuff.  

Tax season also brings to mind the importance of keeping your receipts! You can itemize the costs of your move for a possible deduction on your tax expenses.

Having moved from DC to Texas in 2013 to do Americorps, I really regret not having done this. Lesson learned! Next time :D

Seriously?!!! Awesome, thank you so much!!

Great example of "wish I knew" information-sharing right there! :)

edit: typo fix

Edited by PhDerp

*Books are heavy.  A "small" box of books can easily weight 80 pounds or more.  Disperse your library between multiple boxes, filling the rest of the box[es] up with blankets, clothing, pillows, and other light items.  You will thank me for this tip.

Unless one has enough space in a uhaul, I don't think this is necessarily the best advice. In my experience it is much easier and a "weight" off your shoulders to ship your books media mail than to lug them with you. Media rates gives you a reduced rate for shipping books (despite their weight), and it isn't that costly relatively speaking. 

In addition, amazon offers an exchange service where you could turn in a book for amazon credits. It is less effort than craigslist, selling your books via amazon/ebay or going on campus to sell your books. Just my two cents...!

As someone who has moved from California to Kansas, Kansas to California, California to Minnesota, Minnesota to Maine, Maine to Massachusetts, and Massachusetts to Maryland (Maryland to....?) all as an adult, I know a few things about moving.  

*Do not move junk, garbage, etc.  This may sound redundant, but I guarantee that you will spend the time packing and shipping crap you do not need nor even want.  

*Divide your stuff into three lists/piles:  the stuff you absolutely cannot live without, the stuff you can live without, and the stuff you are on the fence about.  You will notice that the pile of stuff you absolutely cannot live without is the smallest pile if you are honest.  Get rid of the stuff you can live without and honestly think about the rest.  

*Donate what you cannot sell (get receipts for tax deductions) and sell what you can.  Sell as much furniture as you can and keep in mind that IKEA and thrift stores are cheap.  

*Chances are high that this move is going to be temporary.  I guarantee you will still have stuff packed away in boxes when you finish grad school.  This is the type of stuff you should get rid of.  

*Store stuff with family if possible.  It is going to take time to set up your new place anyways, if something can wait, let it wait.  Have this stuff slowly shipped over time if needed. 

*Purchase boxes from Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc.  They are cheaper than purchasing from "box" stores, moving stores, etc. Of course you can cruise stores and businesses for used boxes they are tossing out, but...

*Try and stick with the same-sized box.  It makes packing and stacking that much more easier.  

*Try not to move during August; usually the hottest time of the year....

*Get friends to help with the move instead of hiring movers.  You'd be surprised at how much work a person is willing to do for a case of cheap beer and/or a pizza.  

*This is a matter of personal tastes, but there are websites that list items and services offered for free, including Craigslist.  If you are moving to a college town (ahem, Boston), chances are high that you can acquire a mansions-worth of stuff for free or cheap from undergrads who are moving back home and leaving their "stuff" behind.

*Penske and UHual are about equal in my experience.  

*If you require a moving truck and will also bring your car, just rent that car-tow-aparatus and tow your car with the moving truck.  It'll be cheaper than paying for gas for two vehicles.  

*Try to reserve a moving truck as far in advance as possible.  The closer to the 1st of the month it gets the more these things become unavailable.  

*Begin packing/downsizing as soon as possible.  Believe me, it is never too soon to start the moving process.  I guarantee you have way more shit than you think you have and will find yourself scrambling to pack at the last minute.  This is when you will end up packing and moving garbage, stuff you do not need or want, etc.  

*Shipping stuff through UPS and FedEx can get expensive.  That 80 pound box of books is going to run around $90.  Ten of those boxes is $900 right there, which could be roughly the costs of a moving truck depending on how are you are moving. USPS has a media mail rate, which might be cheaper.  You can also ship via Amtrak and passenger plane...not sure on the pricing, though.  

The absolute cheapest way to move is to move with the least amount of stuff.  

This is amazing Crucial BBQ! Thanks so much for that. I wish I had more likes to give you :)

RE: Boxes

Call your local Safeway, Vons, Savemart, FoodMax, Winco, etc. and ask for the produce manager. Once you get someone in that department, explain your situation (student) and that you're moving and wondered if they could keep any banana or apple boxes from that week's shipment for you. I have done this every single time I moved (A LOT OF TIMES) and they were more than happy to give me at least a car-full of boxes....totally FREE. My dad used to be a produce manager, this is how I know it works. If one store says no, call the next one. I assure you someone will be willing to help you out. Free boxes are free and free is good.

I actually prefer wine/alcohol boxes to produce boxes because you're not risking any food remnants that could lead to mold or attract vermin. Another great source of boxes: your university and its recycling bins. Especially since a lot of them get new equipment in the summer. Those boxes are especially great if you've long since rid yourself of your electronics boxes but need some for your move. I was able to get a variety of Dell, Amazon, and Toshiba boxes out of the recycling bins on campus. And, lucky for me, those bins are cardboard only so no worries about food contamination.

I agree about the boxes from the liquor store.

Best type: U-Pod from Uhaul. I just priced a move from my location to a potential school that’s 1600 miles away. I have an apartment full of furniture that cost me a lot of money, so I don’t want to get rid of it. Total cost--including fuel--to ship: $1022.00.

That’s a lot less than driving it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm bumping this thread. I've decided to move from NC to Seattle, WA, and I have absolutely no idea what to do. I have some really nice furniture that I don't want to part with, but would it just be easier/less expensive to leave it behind. I mainly just need to move my clothes and various other small items.

Also, any thoughts on doing grad housing for the first year and then trying to find an apt? I think it might be easier that way.

I'm bumping this thread. I've decided to move from NC to Seattle, WA, and I have absolutely no idea what to do. I have some really nice furniture that I don't want to part with, but would it just be easier/less expensive to leave it behind. I mainly just need to move my clothes and various other small items.

Also, any thoughts on doing grad housing for the first year and then trying to find an apt? I think it might be easier that way.

That is what I'm planning on doing, mainly because it's not very feasible for me to fly to wherever I end up to search for an apartment (both time and money constraints), plus I have virtually no furniture save some some kitchen appliances. It's a very good idea in my head to live in university housing for the first year, then find an apartment when I'm actually there and start accumulating furniture. I hope you guys can tell me if that all makes sense outside of my head.

Living in grad housing the first year and then moving out later is a very good idea, I think. Especially if your grad housing allows you to move out early, then you can take advantage of fluctuating rent prices. In my area, rents are lowest from November to February, I think, and it's only $300 to break the grad lease early (compared to savings of $50-$100/month on rent with a better lease).