What do you keep in your office space?

wanderingalbatross

Coffee cup, headset for dictation software, three notepads, 2 staplers, a brain (stress release thingy, not a real one), Multivariate Stats book, psychopathy assessment manual, and two laptops. I've got a lithograph (best friend is a print-maker), two dry-erase boards, and a peg board on the wall, and a hula hoop (I make them) resting against one of the file cabinets.

Outside of standard stationary stuff (pens, stapler, post-its), I have cutlery, mugs, boxes of tea, a photo frame, tissue box, random toys (dinosaurs, plushies, etc.) on my desk. I also have a Canadian flag and my hometown's hockey team's pennant on the wall next to me. Behind me, I have my "library". Inside my desk, I have chocolate and other snacks. I also store things that I exclusively use while I'm on campus in my office space, such as my baseball glove. We have a dedicated lunchroom down the hallway, but in my last school, I also had an electric kettle and mini-fridge in our office.

I'd definitely decorate my office space! When moving to my PhD school, that was one of the things I was most looking forward to :) (so I planned ahead to make sure to get things from my hometown/country). I am always looking out for interesting/cool stuff to add to my desk collection (I'd probably get rid of older stuff eventually to avoid being too cluttered).

I'm guessing the 40 or so journal articles don't count....

Other than stationary, I only have two plants, my daily dog calendar, and headphones for rocking out to sweet tunes.

Small and large whiteboard, desktop PC for modeling, a bookshelf for, well, books, as well as all my lab notebooks and such. 

File cabinet for paperwork, change of clothes for when it rains, coffee mugs slowly accumulating, some good speakers for music. 

Don't have much food in the lab/office, that stays mostly in the breakroom. 

Actually on my desk: external monitor, mouse, charger (all connect to my laptop when I arrive), a semantics book I sometimes consult, a hand brace for typing, a stack of papers and notes, ear buds, a coffee mug, a thermos, a bottle of water, cutlery and chopsticks, random small toys (mostly gifts friends bring back from their travels), a box of tissues. 

Under my desk: a couple of pairs of shoes, a tennis racket and a spare umbrella. 

In my personal cabinet: some toiletries (aspirin, tooth brush and tooth paste, a comb, contact lens solution), a little bit of money and a card for the bus charged with enough money to get me home, a change of clothes, spare gloves and a scarf, a few boxes of tea, coffee, energy bars and some trail mix. 

Nearby: books, a filing cabinet, trays for papers I collect from different classes and venues (that I scan and then file away in the filing cabinet once a semester). 

On the wall above my desk: postcards, comics I enjoy, a short poem that motivates me to write, a calendar. 

Interesting question! I have, well, a ton of books - they fill the desk shelf and three or four stacks of books on the desk surface.

Decorations - I have a few souvenirs that friends have given me from places they've visited, some leftover christmas ribbon (decorating my desk with lights was awesome!), a photo of my dog from home, the 'good luck' note from my comps defense, some research-related index cards, a printout of a Kurt vonnegut quote, and a piece of the score of Dvorak's ninth symphony. And in my drawers - a ton of old crap (I have a bit of a hoarding problem, I guess).

There's a fridge and bookshelves in my office, but they're not mine, so I rarely use them. 

On desk: Laptop and mouse, single-serve coffee maker, a travel souvenir that doubles as a paperweight, a bookends set that keeps thr books I'm currently reading.

On shelf: the rest of my "library," the pods for said coffee maker, boxes of tea bags, some trail mix, the regular stationary stock, an archive of student papers and exams which I keep for a semester afterward

• 2 weeks later...

on desk: Puff plus ( i have allergies), hand sanitizes, lotion, journals, water bottle, calculator, extra pair of glasses and sunglasses, headphones, cups of pens/ highlighters, purse and notepad.

on shelf 1 : snacks, eating utensils, lunchbox,and ramen noodles 

on shelf 2 : books, journals etc 

drawer: books, pens, folders etc and extra set of gym clothes. 

under the desk: extra pair of running shoes, saddles, flats and book bag. 

p.s. this post has forced me to re-organize my desk. 

At home mostly books, journals, and articles in addition to my computer. On campus nothing because we have shared cubicle spaces. Everything stays in my locker until I'm going to do work.

• 3 weeks later...

On desk: a cup, a computer (desktop, belongs to the lab anyway), some scratch papers, three notebooks, a book that I'm currently reading (research related), a few pens,

In the top, smaller drawer: a big bag of chocolate (MUST!!), a spoon, a stapler, some sticky notes

In the bottom, bigger drawer: a small purse (in case I don't have pockets on my outfit, I can still carry things around), a hoodie (the temperature in my office can be weird...and gets very cold), a can of herbal tea

On the shelf: a small bag with a comb, hand cream, hand sanitizer, a small mirror, a few cute hair clips and hair bands (yep, I'm a girl), and some books, binders with papers sorted by field of study on the side against the wall.

home: stacks & stacks of books & journals, an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier, a pur water filter with a cup, tea mugs galore, my glasses, a corkboard full of coupons & tickets for things, cups with sentimental coozies on them for pens & pencils, general office supplies, a large double-wicked gardenia candle, a lamp with a colorful lampshade & a few animal bones + beautiful rocks i've collected here & there. above it, i've got a few beautiful little art prints.

TA office: mug, emergency tea rations, a dish of candy, a gallon of diet arizona iced tea, more books & a few journals; in my locker, graded things & other class materials.

thrilling, i know.

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of philosophy books, a red boxy pencil holder w/ pens+pencils, various crosswords, a sudoku book, one of those metal magnetic things that you can play with, staplers/other generic office supplies, Moleskine to keep track of tasks, moleskines from previous labs/years for reference, some random art and funny xkcd and Ph.D. printouts, a coffee mug.  Oh, and this Sprite can I keep forgetting to recycle.

• 4 months later...

Bringing the thread back from the dead!

Just bought a beta fish named Alpha (get it? Alpha the beta...). I don't think he likes me very much. I also have lots of snacks (beef jerky, dried mango, etc)

Bringing the thread back from the dead!

Just bought a beta fish named Alpha (get it? Alpha the beta...). I don't think he likes me very much. I also have lots of snacks (beef jerky, dried mango, etc)

That made me chuckle (the grumpy fish). 

Also, I don't have anything other than books except for the very first levallois core (obsidian tool) that I made. 

Edited by DigDeep

Books, comps notebooks and books (too lazy to remove), a bankers box for assorted things such as food (oatmeal packets), coffee, instant mocha things when I'm not in the mood to turn on the coffee pot), a coffee pot, my monitor that I hook my tablet and notebook up to, my gym bag with my gym stuff, an IU basketball figure, a hockey puck, a water bottle or two (I am a cylist and they are everywhere), and a couple coffee mugs.  Assorted office supplies, of course.

At home, I've got more stuff and more pictures and the like up but I rarely work from there.  It's just not a great set up because my desk is in my bedroom.