2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

I'm out of reach and nervous about not attending any interviews, since i'm working/living in Australia the past few years and have just applied to schools this year.  I doubt I'd get anyone to foot the bill across the Pacific and back for a weekend meet and greet.

I'm out of reach and nervous about not attending any interviews, since i'm working/living in Australia the past few years and have just applied to schools this year.  I doubt I'd get anyone to foot the bill across the Pacific and back for a weekend meet and greet.

I have not idea how that works, I think they would fund a portion of it.

Geographyrocks- I applied to the Geoscience department and got an email requesting a Skype interview.

Thanks!  I applied to the Environmental Studies department.  I know the two departments share professors, but they may make decisions at different times.  Who knows.  I'm still too tired from my end of January stress-fest to stress out any more! lol

Thanks!  I applied to the Environmental Studies department.  I know the two departments share professors, but they may make decisions at different times.  Who knows.  I'm still too tired from my end of January stress-fest to stress out any more! lol

I'm sure they have different deadlines! Plus, the email I got was casual and haven't heard anything official from them at all. I see you have at least one option, so no need to stress anyway! It's a competitive grad market out there to say the least! The amount of time I spent just trying to make myself stand out was stupid. :angry:  

Undergrad Institution: Mid sized state school, well regarded polytechnical
Major(s): Earth Science
Minor(s): Soil Science and Geology
GPA in Major: 3.75
Overall GPA: 3.71
Position in Class: Top 1%
Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Scores (revised/old version): Took while finishing a large unit load
Q: 151
V:156
W:4.5

Research Experience: Few minor research projects, one conference poster

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Highest GPA in college award

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Mudlogger in Permian Basin, other science based government positions

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 3 outstanding recommendations

Applying to Where: All for tectonic geomorphology or stratigraphy
Stanford University- M.S. Geosciences-??

Colorado State University- M.S. Geosciences-??

University of Washington- M.S. Earth and Space Systems, Applied Geosciences-??

University of Oregon- M.S. Geology--??

Texas A&M- M.S. Geology-??

Colorado School of Mines- M.S. Geological Sciences- Denied

Worried I might not get in anywhere because of my GRE scores...first school didn't accept me so we'll see :(

Edited by watsondoodle

Was just accepted into DU's MA program.  No funding information is availalbe yet, but they did say I'm being considered for a Graduate Assistanship. 

I probably won't accept unless the funding offer is spectacular, but still YAY!

Worried I might not get in anywhere because of my GRE scores...first school didn't accept me so we'll see :(

Did you talk to potential advisors at your schools to make sure they're taking students? I'm in the same general interest category, so the reason that I ask is because I know that a few of the professors that I wanted to work with at a couple of your schools weren't planning to take students. I was inquiring for PhD though, so perhaps their response was different for MS students, or perhaps you are hoping to work with someone different than the ones I talked to. Some really good schools for that line of work though, so best of luck!

Was just accepted into DU's MA program.  No funding information is availalbe yet, but they did say I'm being considered for a Graduate Assistanship. 

I probably won't accept unless the funding offer is spectacular, but still YAY!

Congrats!

Another mudlogger!

M/LWD over here. BFFs?

No? Okay... ,_,

@watsondoodle, CSOM returned to you already?? Oh wow. I thought you weren't going to send anything before April. This makes me even more paranoid.

On 2/19/2014 at 5:38 PM, 1WheeledGeo said:

Another mudlogger!

Many mudloggers are probably on here trying to escape!  ;)

On 2/19/2014 at 6:30 PM, Geologizer said:

Did you talk to potential advisors at your schools to make sure they're taking students? I'm in the same general interest category, so the reason that I ask is because I know that a few of the professors that I wanted to work with at a couple of your schools weren't planning to take students. I was inquiring for PhD though, so perhaps their response was different for MS students, or perhaps you are hoping to work with someone different than the ones I talked to. Some really good schools for that line of work though, so best of luck!

Yes, i contacted someone at all of them and they were all taking new grad students, except Texas A&M(last minute, didn't contact anyone) and UW (which is a strange program where you don't pick an adviser). 

Some programs taking multiple students even. 

On 2/19/2014 at 7:10 PM, RockSniffer said:

M/LWD over here. BFFs?

No? Okay... ,_,

@watsondoodle, CSOM returned to you already?? Oh wow. I thought you weren't going to send anything before April. This makes me even more paranoid.

Yeah i got an email regarding an admissions decision from them and had to check their website for the specific decision. This was strange, because after that email i received a phone interview for a R.A. position from CSOM...(i didn't make their in person interview list however).  

rockwell_, on 19 Feb 2014 - 4:06 PM, said:

You'll just have to do it over Skype. I would have loved to go there in person, but I didn't really have a choice.

Many mudloggers are probably on here trying to escape!  ;)

I believe it. I did almost all of my apps while on location during intermediate casing or trips. I guess I need to devote that time to reading more papers now.

M/LWD over here. BFFs?

No? Okay... ,_,

@ RockSniffer What basin are you working in?

On the gradcafe results page, CU Boulder sent out some emails to their planetary science applicants. The ones posted were all rejections, but maybe the rest of us will be hearing back soon!

At least some people who applied at CU are getting answers!  lol

Judging from past results, it'll be this week or next week. Or mid-March if rejected. 

At least some people who applied at CU are getting answers! lol

Judging from past results, it'll be this week or next week. Or mid-March if rejected.

Yeah a lot of rejections come out in march... I'm nervous since I haven't heard back from anywhere

Edited by ssynny

Yeah a lot of rejections come out in march... I'm nervous since I haven't heard back from anywhere

Do you have a BS or MS?  Did you contact any professors before you applied?  Also, which department did you apply to at CU? 

I think CU likes to interview candidates who want to go from a BS to a PhD, but that could be department specific.  I applied to the Environmental Studies program, and I know they have very limited funding.  I think that they have to "borrow" TA positions from other departments to give funding to their candidates. 

I wonder if they're having more trouble this year because of the government shutdown postponing decisions on NSF grants and with all of the damage CU suffered from the flooding.  I wonder if all departments at CU had their funding cut due to that last one...

I wonder a lot of things since there don't seem to be any answers yet :lol:

Do you have a BS or MS?  Did you contact any professors before you applied?  Also, which department did you apply to at CU? 

I think CU likes to interview candidates who want to go from a BS to a PhD, but that could be department specific.  I applied to the Environmental Studies program, and I know they have very limited funding.  I think that they have to "borrow" TA positions from other departments to give funding to their candidates. 

I wonder if they're having more trouble this year because of the government shutdown postponing decisions on NSF grants and with all of the damage CU suffered from the flooding.  I wonder if all departments at CU had their funding cut due to that last one...

I wonder a lot of things since there don't seem to be any answers yet :lol:

I have (graduating this year) a BS in EES. I contacted a few professors at all of my schools before I applied and I think that went fine. I've also had a decent amount of research experience. For CU, I applied to their atmospheric science PhD program. I know they have money and are accepting students, but unfortunately it's not a lot. I never even considered that the flooding may have caused trouble :(   I just really hope I'm not in the mid-March group since most of those are rejections :'(

(my top choice is still UCI)

I have (graduating this year) a BS in EES. I contacted a few professors at all of my schools before I applied and I think that went fine. I've also had a decent amount of research experience. For CU, I applied to their atmospheric science PhD program. I know they have money and are accepting students, but unfortunately it's not a lot. I never even considered that the flooding may have caused trouble :(   I just really hope I'm not in the mid-March group since most of those are rejections :'(

(my top choice is still UCI)

I live in Golden, right down the road from Boulder, and I don't think the flooding was as big of an issue at CU as it was in other areas of Boulder and the upstream communities.  However, i'm willing to bet the government shutdown had a huge impact with so many of the labs up there relying on the sole source funding.

I live in Golden, right down the road from Boulder, and I don't think the flooding was as big of an issue at CU as it was in other areas of Boulder and the upstream communities.  However, i'm willing to bet the government shutdown had a huge impact with so many of the labs up there relying on the sole source funding.

I was thinking more along the lines that the state would reduce funding to the educational institutions to pay for the damage which could affect funding. 

Just saw an acceptance on the results page for CU Boulder's Environmental studies program.  They were admitted to MS, but they applied for a PhD.  I'm still hearing nothing. 

Notices are going out for CU Boulder now.  I got a big, fat rejection.  The only way the rejection could have been more generic is if they would have left my first name off of the top of the email. 

I met all prereqs so I'm gonna guess it was a research fit problem.  There really wasn't any research going on that match my interests exactly although I felt that my scope of interests was wide enough to circumvent that.  *shrug* The program is ranked #1 so you gotta try. 

I can't imagine getting one of those rejections letters before receiving an acceptance.