Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2014--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

University of Minnesota. Thought I had a pretty good chance. The main reason I am nervous is that i intended to apply to 8 programs but one of my recommenders only sent the letters to half the schools. Most of the ones he missed were my "safer" schools.

I felt like the rec's were the most stressful part of the application because it was sort of out of my control. What do you all think?

University of Minnesota. Thought I had a pretty good chance. The main reason I am nervous is that i intended to apply to 8 programs but one of my recommenders only sent the letters to half the schools. Most of the ones he missed were my "safer" schools.

I felt like the rec's were the most stressful part of the application because it was sort of out of my control. What do you all think?

Yikes. That has to be incredibly frustrating. Will your applications still be considered? Did you try getting him to send them in after the deadlines? It's to my understanding that schools are a little more understanding about late LORs than they are the other components given they're out of our hands.

But yes, I totally agree-- getting the LORs submitted in a timely fashion was easily one of the toughest parts of the application process. Well, that and waiting...

I would definitely email each one of those programs and ask if there is any remedy. NC-Chapel Hill let me send in two recommendations a month after the deadline. Although in my case, both had submitted the letters and something happened with the system deleting them.

Well, UCSB is beginning to send out decisions. I have been rejected, and it is a bit of a let-down. Anyway, to those who have also applied: decisions are imminent!

Seriously not a great day. 

I emailed the graduate coordinator at UT (Communication Studies) to ask when decisions would be coming out but haven't heard back yet. Aside from the one rejection on the results page yesterday it doesn't look like there has been any movement. Last year decisions started coming out around the 11th/12th of Feb.  

And so it came. The fatal USC rejection letter. This weekend is now reserved for mourning.

Just got my rejection letter from USC as well.

Sorry to hear that... :(

serj93.gif

all my applications are still pending...

Edited by natebassett

Somehow I'm just now discovering this wonderful site/virtual support group. Thought I'd drop in and say "hi" to all my fellow applicants.

Reading over the thread so far, it seems like decisions are starting to pour in. 

This forum is a real downer today, guys.  (Thanks, USC.) Somebody get good news now!

I'm waiting for my fatal rejection letter from USC as well. For good news, however, I lucked out with an offer from Nebraska with TA funding and a fellowship. Given this is my second time around the PhD application track (first time all rejections), it's nice having an acceptance right off the bat!

Welcome! If I may ask, what changes (if any) did you make to your application portfolio second time around? Newly acquired research experience? Higher GRE scores? Proper planetary alignment?

Thanks for the welcome! A few things were different this time around. The biggest thing is that I actually applied to all comm programs this time. First time around, the majority were music PhD programs which was difficult coming in from the outside. 

The other thing was that I was applying while still working on my masters thesis the first time. My thesis wasn't at a concrete state when I had to write my apps and SOP, so things were a little more "all over the place" than this time around.

And yes, proper planetary alignment is crucial. A few ritual sacrifices to appease the grad gods can help too. 

Anyone applied Cornell?

Cornell University Communication, PhD (F14) Wait listed via E-mail on 31 Jan 2014 A 31 Jan 2014
  • Had an Interview with POI last weekend - First contact from program since - Stoked

Seems like they already had interview and send admission :(

Hi everyone, I'm super new here but have been lurking for a while!

I just finished up my undergrad and started applying to schools for the Fall 2014. I currently have my sights set on SFU's Communications program but I am so worried and the wait is eating me alive! You see, trouble is, I finished with a 3.32 GPA on my last 60 credits and the entrance to SFU is 3.33. I'm so nervous that ridiculous 3.33 is gonna cost me!! However, I feel like I'm a good fit with the school (one of the alumni on the website's description has very similar research interests) and I have some pretty good references including a communications prof (I did my undergrad in Sociology). I also have tons of work and volunteer experience in non profit performing arts, so I hope that helps too.

Before this turns out into a complete "what are my chances??" post, anybody familiar with having a GPA that close to the cut off? And anybody else applying to SFU or have experience with the program? I hope to see you in the Fall :)

Good luck everyone, I'm right there with you riding this out...

Is the 3.33 the minimum or the average? It seems an odd number to have as a minimum, but if it is the average, it means that they take people both above and below that mark. Honestly, being .01 off probably isn't going to kill you. It really depends on how your marks look in comparison to the other people who applied.

I just finished up my undergrad and started applying to schools for the Fall 2014. I currently have my sights set on SFU's Communications program but I am so worried and the wait is eating me alive! You see, trouble is, I finished with a 3.32 GPA on my last 60 credits and the entrance to SFU is 3.33. I'm so nervous that ridiculous 3.33 is gonna cost me!! However, I feel like I'm a good fit with the school (one of the alumni on the website's description has very similar research interests) and I have some pretty good references including a communications prof (I did my undergrad in Sociology). I also have tons of work and volunteer experience in non profit performing arts, so I hope that helps too.

Welcome fellow Professional Waiter of Grad Results. One thing I'd keep in mind is that faculty members are the one making the admission decisions. Basically, if they want you, they'd probably be willing to overlook a .01 difference, especially if they're a rhetorician who doesn't understand numbers (like myself). I wouldn't worry too much about it if you have other selling points. 

Hi everyone, I'm super new here but have been lurking for a while!

Before this turns out into a complete "what are my chances??" post, anybody familiar with having a GPA that close to the cut off? And anybody else applying to SFU or have experience with the program? I hope to see you in the Fall :)

Good luck everyone, I'm right there with you riding this out...

There are some threads that discuss lower GPA admit stories on some other sub-forums.  I believe if there are guidelines they generally pertain to the Graduate College of the given university and if the dept wants you those can generally be skirted around.  Personally, I have a mich worse UG GPA, and it doesn't seem to have prevented me from making it to comittees / consideration stages.

Best of luck !

Results page says that if you are accepted to UPenn Annenberg, then you've received an email...

Where was this info? Their admissions faq says they review in feb, so I guess I've missed something, can you give a link?

for the record, I've had nos from UCSB, USC, Iowa, a solid yes from Michigan and a shortlist/invitation to visit from Northwestern (RPC)...

Where was this info? Their admissions faq says they review in feb, so I guess I've missed something, can you give a link?

for the record, I've had nos from UCSB, USC, Iowa, a solid yes from Michigan and a shortlist/invitation to visit from Northwestern (RPC)...

There was an acceptance for Penn Annenberg in the results section a couple days ago stating that they had contacted all they had accepted. However, I just tried searching for it for you, and I can't seem to find it (despite trying several different search term combinations). Maybe it was someone trolling us.

Congratulations on the Michigan acceptance. How exciting!

Did anyone else apply to Northwestern's Screen Cultures program? I've seen invitations extended to other Northwestern Comm/Media programs, but not this one yet.