International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

oh guys i am sorry it's 6 am in the morning for me and i typed it wrong. I really should sleep now. Glad that I dont have class tomorrow. But how the he** can i sleep with this frantic mindset. 

@ 35 guests, and 4 an anonymous users- I would really appreciate it, if you could let is know, whether you are facing similar mismatches too or not?

Edited by SIXX A.M.

So, one of my friends who applied as well, just hung up with them. And they said there's been a glitch and whatever says on the website (like on the admission portal) is the real status of your application....Apparently we all got wrong e-mails, instead of getting the rejection one. 

I still can't believe it though! All of us the same, really? NOT EVEN ONE WHO'S BEEN ADMITTED FOR REAL? 

Anyway, we'll all be getting explanation e-mails this afternoon...

Edited by beepbeepsparkle

I applied for the first round and received my acceptance on December 17th. The email said application update like everyone else's, now I am just waiting to hear back for funding. I have been checking 20+ times a day,

scholarship decision says: Requested, file received: complete

Anybody in the same boat?

IHEID was my first and only choice, good luck everyone!

I believe Angie was referring to the current last post (#19) this thread:

Yep yep - that's the one I meant. My bad: different thread, not different forum. I seem to be too blinded with bewilderment to be coherent ;) Thanks for copying it in, mych!

So, one of my friends who applied as well, just hang up with them. And they said there's been a glitch and whatever says on the website (like on the admission portal) is the real status of your application....Apparently we all got wrong e-mails, instead of getting the rejection one. 

I still can't believe it though! All of us the same, really? NOT EVEN ONE WHO'S BEEN ADMITTED FOR REAL? 

oh well if it is the case then I hope everyone who are in the same situation has another option in hand now. After several months waiting, I never expect they would end it like this for us. Now that my applying season officially ends for me with a dramatic night, may the odds be in your favor with anywhere else u are waiting. 

So, one of my friends who applied as well, just hang up with them. And they said there's been a glitch and whatever says on the website (like on the admission portal) is the real status of your application....Apparently we all got wrong e-mails, instead of getting the rejection one. 

I had a sinking feeling that --that (refusal) on the admission portal was the correct status. Whoever created the drafts for the automatic reply to applicants must have made a mistake... :(

I agree. It's not fair on anyone. If it's true, all they're doing atm is processing rejections. Which contradicts what paula said about processing one application at a time, regardless of its admitted/rejected status...

Dunno, are we all grasping at the straws?

If your friend is right, it's just insane and they are really unprofessional...

I really can't believe that they could mess up the emails in such a way, frankly if this is the case they owe us all an immense apology.

I too received the acceptance email from Dr Neury, and then checked the website to see that it said status refused. I emailed IHEID back but I think I'll call them as I'm sick of waiting.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting on admittance/scholarship decisions! Many congratulations to those who have received offers, commiserations to those who received rejections. And to those who have received the combined email/website acceptance/rejections screw up - I think we need a group hug and some whisky!

Really sad management by them, considering they say mails are binding. So, I guess the people with "Under Consideration" are really the only ones who can still be optimistic considering what @beepbeepsparkle just said. 

I agree. It's not fair on anyone. If it's true, all they're doing atm is processing rejections. Which contradicts what paula said about processing one application at a time, regardless of its admitted/rejected status...

Dunno, are we all grasping at the straws?

This thought just hit me, too. Just goes against everything they've said. So maaaaybe all is not lost...? Ugh, I don't know...

Ok guys,

So I just got off the phone with the Admissions people at IHEID. They said that they had an IT problem this morning which meant that admissions emails were incorrectly sent to a large number of applicants. They clarified that as my online status said refused, I had in fact been rejected. Anybody else in the same boat, I'm really sorry but this is the case - if the online portal says refused you've been rejected.

If the online portal says 'under consideration', then you are still being considered for a place - congratulations, hope you don't have too long to wait!

I told them on the phone that while I appreciated that IT errors happened, a mistake as large as this which created false hope in my view required an official apology by email and they said that someone was in charge of sending an email explaining what had happened and apologising, so we should receive that soon.

All very best to everyone!

Ok guys,

So I just got off the phone with the Admissions people at IHEID. They said that they had an IT problem this morning which meant that admissions emails were incorrectly sent to a large number of applicants. They clarified that as my online status said refused, I had in fact been rejected. Anybody else in the same boat, I'm really sorry but this is the case - if the online portal says refused you've been rejected.

If the online portal says 'under consideration', then you are still being considered for a place - congratulations, hope you don't have too long to wait!

I told them on the phone that while I appreciated that IT errors happened, a mistake as large as this which created false hope in my view required an official apology by email and they said that someone was in charge of sending an email explaining what had happened and apologising, so we should receive that soon.

Ok guys,

Thanks for this. Sure, I feel like crap, but at least I know

Dear Applicant,

We are sorry to inform you that you have just received an automatic admission e-mail sent to you due to an unfortunate system error. The admission status on your online follow-up is prevailing. 

Please ignore this previous message and kindly find below the corrected one. 

The Admission Office thanks you for your understanding and remains available for any question you may have (admission@graduateinstitute.ch)

apology email..I wanna laugh at how pathetic it sounds...(I might be a tiny bit bitter...)

Just got this email from them:

Dear Applicant,

We are sorry to inform you that you have just received an automatic admission e-mail sent to you due to an unfortunate system error. The admission status on your online follow-up is prevailing.

Please ignore this previous message and kindly find below the corrected one.

The Admission Office thanks you for your understanding and remains available for any question you may have (admission@graduateinstitute.ch)

--------------------

CORRECTED VERSION

The Admission Committee of the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies has reached its decision regarding your admission to one of our study programmes. I regret to inform you that after a thorough and careful review of your application, the Admission Committee has decided not to grant you admission to the Graduate Institute.

The committee takes into account a wide range of criteria, such as past curriculum, previous academic performances, as well as motivation and recommendation letters. As the number of applicants largely exceeds the number of openings and as this year we received an increased number of outstanding candidates, the Admission Committee was forced to turn down many highly-qualified applicants.

According to your academic and/or professional background, some of the Institute's other programmes might be of interest to you, such as the Summer Programmes on International Affairs and International Trade, or the Executive Programmes for professionals. More information can be found on our website (http://graduateinstitute.ch).

We thank you for your interest in the Graduate Institute and wish you every success in your future endeavours.

Once again, our most sincere apologies for the message received by error earlier this morning.

Sincerely yours,

Paola Eicher

Head of Admissions

admission@graduateinstitute.ch

This email really doesn't in any way make up for the immense joy I experienced at being told I was admitted, and the immense sadness and confusion that followed when I checked the online page.

And so the email writing begins...

Very best of luck to everyone still waiting!!

I have no words to describe how I feel right now. A simple refusal without this glitch would have been much better. I will simply follow my father's advise and join a finance degree at HEC, Paris.

Anyway, it's 7pm on a Friday night in the eastern part of the world. Time for me to hit some tequilla and salt !!

A big congrats to all those who have been accepted at IHEID. And all the very best to those who are still under consideration.

Ciao :)