What's your plan b?

Macrina

I'm in an advanced masters program at one of the big schools. I've never applied to doctoral programs before, but I plan to do so next year and the year after.

A lot of the people in my program are people who tried and did not succeed with doctoral apps last year. Several have mentioned their intention to apply again and again. Don't see myself doing that. Two application cycles, maybe three if the feedback is right, and then I'm done. I'll get a church job or similar and start enjoying my evenings and weekends again.

What's your limit? And what's your backup plan? And, if you've applied before, did you expect to get in?

I have no plan B. I'm freeeeee fallllinnnnn'!!!!

Just kidding. I'm going to apply the following year. If that doesn't work out, then thinking about joining the Air Force as a military chaplain (fiance is already in the Air Force - on his 12th year, so he's not quittin' any time soon) - it'll keep us together that way (military-wise, that is). If not, then I'm just gonna hit the ground runnin' and create the coolest NGO that the world has ever seen, and I will make the world a better place. HORRAH! :D

Many, many jobs exist outside of the US for religious teaching positions especially in Biblical studies. My plan is to work 5-15 years outside the US and move back to care for my parents. This is, of course, if I do not get a job before then, but I really desire the experience of immersing myself in another culture to teach them what I know and to learn what they know. Right now, the horizon is wide open. South Africa? Thailand? Costa Rica? Brazil? Fiji? Who knows? But it's very exciting to dream about. 

• 1 month later...

move to morocco and get my PhD at the university of rabat with fatimah mernissi; I'll be living there all year (will be in Tangier when I get the admissions results, inshallah) and I'll be her research assistant on a book she's writing about Jinn. Maybe marry my Moroccan boo and just live in my paradise country for the rest of my life.

Although probably what I'll do if I don't get in (at least at first) is cry and blame God alot.

The great thing about having a plan b worked out is that you might still need it even if you do get into a program. My plan b if a real teaching job never materializes is to find some nice classical private school to teach at or go back into computer programming. 

• 2 months later...

the pyramid gets steeper the higher you climb

people fall out at every cut

but few are willing to do anything but try to kick the door that didn't open for them in

while i admire persistence, i also value creative problem solving 

my plan b has always been finding a back window that's open where i can crawl through 

and that has worked well so far (i'll have 2 graduate degrees from an elite school despite a hohum ba from a 'party school' with an overall gpa barely 3.0)

re a doctoral program, if i apply and am rejected, the ace up my sleeve is such a diversified background, i would apply for a phd or edd

but then again

i have enough money not to give a d**** 

Edited by mdiv2014

My professor down under who is supervising me got his PhD from the University of South Africa, cost him like $3000, and if anyone questions his credentials and just gives them the cold shoulder. He really is an amazing academic and a well published scholar. He is happy as can be teaching in his little office, lost in a huge humanity department, but so long as he loves what he does, he is happy. As he says, "You don't have to go to Harvard to be a happy academic."

Edited by TheResidentAlien

I would not recommend anyone get a doctorate from Unisa. I'm glad it worked out for your supervisor, but for most people it would be career suicide (is it still career suicide if it is over before it began?). If you are thinking of going the SA doctorate route, then Pretoria or Stellenbosch is a much better option. 

I would not recommend anyone get a doctorate from Unisa. I'm glad it worked out for your supervisor, but for most people it would be career suicide (is it still career suicide if it is over before it began?). If you are thinking of going the SA doctorate route, then Pretoria or Stellenbosch is a much better option. 

One of my other Professors did his PhD from Pretoria and he highly recommended it as well, I think I have seen someone in the Faculty with a PhD from Stellenbosch as well... Cannot remember. Yes, I am glad it worked out for him and a South African PhD is not my goal at all, I was merely pointing out that depending what people want in life, what goals they have, and what standards they set for themselves, things can be achieved. And to your question about suicide, would the better metaphor be career abortion? Seeing you are harming it before it even begins? Hmmmm 

Plan B: Unfunded PhD program in the UK  on a part time basis while working full time, traveling to the UK once a year for the next six years.

Will this be possible?

Is it possible to get a visa to the UK for part-time study? I thought I read somewhere that the visa is not offered for this (but I may be mistaken).

Also, would you work in the US in this scenario or the UK? When you travel to UK once a year how long do you stay there?

Does UP have an Islamic studies program or can you only get PhD in Christian subjects?

UP = University of Pretoria

I don't think so. One of the things that is really annoying about South African Universities is that their websites are poorly designed and difficult to navigate (or for me at least)! I do know the University of South Africa offers a PhD in Islamic Studies.

I don't think so. One of the things that is really annoying about South African Universities is that their websites are poorly designed and difficult to navigate (or for me at least)! I do know the University of South Africa offers a PhD in Islamic Studies.

Cool. Thanks.

Will this be possible?

Is it possible to get a visa to the UK for part-time study? I thought I read somewhere that the visa is not offered for this (but I may be mistaken).

Also, would you work in the US in this scenario or the UK? When you travel to UK once a year how long do you stay there?

Some schools offer this route but you don't move to the U.K. for the program. Instead you fly in once a year to meet your advisor and discuss your work.

Beyond that you stay in your home country instead of moving to the U.K.

Some schools offer this route but you don't move to the U.K. for the program. Instead you fly in once a year to meet your advisor and discuss your work.

Beyond that you stay in your home country instead of moving to the U.K.

And I'm assuming the Ox and Cambridge don't, right? Doesn't look like it based on my google search. univ of Birmingham seems completely DL as an option. Edited by Averroes MD