What are your 4 dream jobs? Are you qualified for any of them?

Authorization

1. Scientist in biotech or entrepreneurial pursuits 

2. Synthetic biology demigod

3. Biological consultant

4. Space suit designer (and wearer/astronaut)

I'm not yet qualified for any of these! Yaaaaay!

Well-paid novelist or non-fiction writer, teaches on the side.

Well-paid film or television screenwriter, teaches on the side.

Well-paid college instructor, does some writing on the side.

Well-paid journalist or internet writer, teaches on the side.

As for being qualified... I'm workin' on it.

In no particular order:

1. Fantasy Writer with a fanatical fan base...I feel qualified but then I have this overwhelming sense of inadequacy...so IDK

2. President - Not qualified yet, working on it though!

3. LCSW-R / Esq. - Working on that too!

4. Beyonce - (unqualified)

• 2 weeks later...

I've wanted to answer this question every time I see it, but I've yet to really solidify four positions I would really like to pursue. I guess it's still a bit scary for me to think about it because I haven't met/been in those positions so I don't know if I'd be happy or not once I get there.

• 3 weeks later...

1. A literary consultant for a major theater, like The Globe.

2. A resident expert/lecturer at a library with a collection on Early Modern or American colonial manuscripts.

3. Professor

4. An editor/compiler/annotator for anthologies and annotated works.

Right now I'm not qualified for any of these, but this is why I'm still in school.

1. Co-host of 'Let's Make A Deal' (with Wayne Brady....I would probably laugh myself out of character everyday!)
  2. Surgeon General (either U.S., Navy, or Army)
  3. Secretary of Health and Human Services

1 - independently wealthy philanthropist

2 - data analyst

3 - beekeeper / sheep rancher

4 - part time college professor

#1 is out of the question unless I hit the big lottery

#2 is sort of what I do for a living right now

#3 way too hard to make a living

#4 working at achieving that now (why else grad school)

#3 & #4 are really part of my retirement plans, keep a few hives and a small flock of sheep, sort of a gentleman farmer and part time teaching for a few extra bucks.

I dream of not working. 

1 - independently wealthy philanthropist

2 - data analyst

3 - beekeeper / sheep rancher

4 - part time college professor

#1 is out of the question unless I hit the big lottery

#2 is sort of what I do for a living right now

#3 way too hard to make a living

#4 working at achieving that now (why else grad school)

#3 & #4 are really part of my retirement plans, keep a few hives and a small flock of sheep, sort of a gentleman farmer and part time teaching for a few extra bucks.

I dream of not working but also I'll settle for part time prof/gentleman farmer. 

• 4 weeks later...

1. Book Cheerleader (a.k.a. reviewer). No outright qualification needs here - just a better ability to write and a column opening that would take me.

2. Japanologist. Is it okay to aspire to be another Lafcadio Hearn or Donald Richie? Unqualified: rolled a zero on charisma.

3. Collection Curator for an eccentric rich recluse who allows exorbitant funding for any area I wish to curate. Qualified: I can spend money.

and of course, a 4. Literature Professor, who makes TAs do the intro courses and only ever has to teach upper-division lit-major courses. Unqualified.

Edited by volitans

1- Astronaut (I'm not american and my country's aerospace technology is a joke)

2- Rocket Scientist (I kinda do that in my lab)

3- Working as a designer for Boeing/Airbus/Embraer/etc (I love planes)

4- My dream was actually to be a commercial pilot lol (My vision doesn't meet the requirements :( )

5- Fashion Designer (I have no talent at all)

• 2 weeks later...

1. Rock and Metal Drummer. I think I'm most qualified for this field than any of the other jobs mentioned in my answer. I've been playing drums for years and I've played with a lot of people. At the moment I play in two bands. Still, I'm not sure to what extend I'd be happy if I had the chance to make this for a living. When you know you have to do something because you need the money and not because you like it, it becomes a whole different thing. I'm not sure I'm ready to sacrifice my love for music in exchange for money.

2. Graphic Designer. Although I haven't graduated graphic design I spend a lot of time on Photoshop in making all kinds of art such as infographics, album covers and photo manipulations. Friends have even told me I should try and actually apply for this job.

3. Interior Designer. I'm definitely not qualified at all for this, but I have a bunch of weird ideas which I think might look interesting :D

4. Motivational Speaker. At this point in my life I'm not ready to become a motivational speaker. Still, I've been through a lot and I think I sharing my experience might help somebody in need.

• 3 weeks later...

1. CDC behavioral scientist

2. Professor

3. Alpaca farmer

4. Travel photographer

5. Freelance writer/blogger

I'm working on 1 and/or 2 slowly but surely. Number 3 is something I hope I can do by my 50s (it's expensive to get going). 4 and 5 are things I enjoy doing now but do not get paid for.

This made me happy to think about! :)

Computational R&D Scientist

Startup member for an idea that utilizes data analytics

Google X R&Doodler

Tesla: Electrochemical battery division researcher

Edited by ktk

1. Information Resource Officer in the Foreign Service (might be qualified if I ever get that 1 year overseas experience.)

2. Author (? kinda hard to say if I'm qualified. I'm working on a novel, but who knows if it'll ever be published, and I have no illusions of actually being able to live off of it.)

3. Fiction or Youth materials selector for a library (qualified, but these positions are rare and hard to get)

4. Independently wealthy travel blogger (lolno)

1. Agricultural Biology Researcher (working on it)

2. Rice Farmer (have the land and work it for personal crop use, so I guess I'm qualified, would need waaaaaay more land & equipment to turn it into a business though I have relatives who do this for a living)

3. Master Sake Brewer (Would need to pass a pretty grueling examination for this one)

4. Truck Driver (would need to update my CDL)

We'll see how my PhD applications go this year, I'm probably going to go with #2 or #3 if I don't get admission.  I suppose my MS in Bioinformatics won't be wasted.  Maybe I can create sentient rice cultivar next year and unleash it on admission committees mad scientist style!  :ph34r:  :lol:

1) nat geo photographer (not in any way qualified)

2) marine biologist (large critters not snails). (missed that "boat" long ago)

3) STS/Anthropology TT professor/researcher/activist extraordinaire (maybe someday)

4) equally split time between sex education/reproductive health research and food blogging/critic'ing 

• 1 month later...

Hmm, I thought about this one for awhile and narrowed down my list:

1. Director of a non-profit (pre-existing or self-started) that serves trafficked individuals, refugees, and immigrants (going to get my MSW or MPP, so yes, I think I will be qualified eventually!)

2. Adjunct professor in international social work/human rights (eventually, after more education and experience, yes)

3. Travel blogger (if I had the money, hell yeah!)

4. Kitty shelter owner (not sure what the qualifications for this are...)

1. Rock and Metal Drummer. I think I'm most qualified for this field than any of the other jobs mentioned in my answer. I've been playing drums for years and I've played with a lot of people. At the moment I play in two bands. Still, I'm not sure to what extend I'd be happy if I had the chance to make this for a living. When you know you have to do something because you need the money and not because you like it, it becomes a whole different thing. I'm not sure I'm ready to sacrifice my love for music in exchange for money.

You interested in some session work? I'm in the States, but technology can make that irrelevant!

My band's name is Tyrannical Chauvinism (satirical instrumental death metal). Shades of Tony Danza, Veil of Maya, Gwen Stacy, Misery Signals. Lemme know!

1. Guitarist ^

2. Professor/Food scientist

3. Sensory analyst in industry

4. Science communicator/journalist

1. Beyonce

2a. Federal prison psychologist

2b. Federal prison warden

3. Research psychologist for the secret service

4. Successful house flipper.

Way under-qualified to be Beyonce. 2a-3 I am working on, 3 is my absolute dream job, 2b is more of a back up, I just think 4 would be a pretty awesome job, maybe if my degree gets me nowhere (which seems to be a popular trend nowadays) I'll go for it.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Professor (possibly, my discipline isn't exactly huge in my home country but I would like to try and change that)

2. Government education advisor for my discipline (I guess somewhat qualified post-PhD)

3. Non-profit/arts organisation director (a pretty realistic option)

4. Millionaire ( :( )

1. Professor at an R1

I only have one dream job! There are other things I would maybe be sort of content with, but this is it for dreams...hopefully I will be qualified in about 5 years ;)