What are your 4 dream jobs? Are you qualified for any of them?

Authorization

Anything that lets me:

1. Do my research
2. Teach undergrad or higher
3. Write books and articles, preferably for wide disbursement, but I know most academic books have a smaller market
4. Present at conferences, conventions, on podcasts, online shows, etc

while also being able to afford to live comfortably, haha.

• 1 month later...

1) Singer-Songwriter (did a year of training at the California College of Music for this and despite an EP and single on iTunes and tons of unpaid performances here and there, I'm still struggling but I'll keep going forward with music while I look for day jobs that I still like

2) Advertising Exec/Art Director (this is kinda what I'm trying to get a Masters in - I need to gain new skills in this and to network)

3) TV Screenwriter/Producer (had a screenwriting background and would like to be one of those powerful women who revolutionize the TV industry)

4) Best-selling fiction novel writer

• 1 month later...
  1. French Professor - not yet, still need to get my PhD (which I'll only be starting in the fall)
  2. Lecturer - maybe, but I wouldn't be a very competitive candidate
  3. High school teacher - not at public schools, but perhaps at private schools, also wouldn't be the most competitive candidate
  4. Academic adviser - it really depends, but again, I wouldn't be the most competitive of candidates

So yeah, that's the gist of it! :D

1) Community college or state university head of Humanities department; teaching and promoting Humanities and interdisciplinary course design (need my PhD first)

2) Designing interactive, online, educational tools in ancient history and material culture for middle schoolers to undergrads-- ideally working for Google cuz they have all the technology, access, and money (need my certificate in Digital Humanities, which I'm pursuing at UIowa, and a company or organization willing to fund me to do this)

3) Designing interactive, digital, educational activities to supplement ancient art exhibits at a museum (again need my certificate in Digital Humanities and museum willing to hire me)

4) Teaching in a community college and spending my summers excavating in the Mediterranean; not researching, just helping out excavators and eating the local food (I could be doing this now, because I have an MA and am already an adjunct instructor, but stupidly I applied to get my PhD lol)

• 2 weeks later...

1. US Senator

2. Data analyst for a Federal Agency

3. Author

4. Astronaut 

(one of these things is not like the other, but childhood dreams and all that)

As far as being qualified- well, definitely not yet but that's what grad school is for.

• 1 month later...

Mine have changed slightly, so reposting:

1. Director in research and evaluation within the county department of mental health
  2. Director for the evidence-based practices center within the county department of mental health
  3. Director in any area within my county which finds ways to research, evaluate and implement evidence-based practices more effectively the mental health provider network
  4. SAMHSA doing any of the jobs listed above.

• 6 months later...

1) Teaching Sculpture of Multidisciplinary Art at a top university

2) making enough money to live off of selling my work and showing in galleries

3) "Art Academic:, a teach as well as a traveling lecturer 

4) Mountain Man

1. Practicing audiologist and co-owner of an ENT practice with my M.D. brother (relies on both of us obtaining our degrees and getting the resources to start it, but we are both on the path to this becoming reality)

2. Researcher, university lecturer, and textbook author (need to get my Ph.D. later, but doable in the future)

3. U.S. senator (I guess technically I could do it -- look who's president -- but I don't feel personally qualified or experienced enough, plus I'm not old enough yet)

4. A fiction author and/or poet (although I have not written creatively since high school and have no formal training, it's technically possible)

1a. Research Scientist at a research institute (preferably in Woods Hole) (best of all worlds...get to do my research, travel, and not have to teach)

1b. TT Prof in Boston (I guess that's good enough)

2a. Professional sailor (not like...military...but like...pay me to go around in sailboats all day erryday) 

2b. Professional cyclist/rower (turn passions into money, make bank, right?)

3. Artist (considering I'm bad at most arty endeavors, and I have little patience for sculpting which is the only one I don't suck at, this ain't happening) 

4. Professionally crotchety lesbian goat farmer (fear me, Pencey-poo) 

1. Some kind of journalist/writer/blogger within my field. Journalling, interviewing, writing about whatever topic tickles my fancy that month. Knowledge translation of my field to the general public has always been a goal of mine. A TEDtalks would be the ultimate dream. I just want everyone to love my field as much as I do!

2. A professor - fieldwork-related research, but a strong emphasis on teaching.

3. Museum curator. Or teaching at museums. Or anything to do with museums. Museums are great.

4. Professional coffee taster.

• 2 months later...

1) Speech-language Pathologist (what I'm actually going to school for)

2) curator of ancient manuscripts (Not really to do anything with them, just take them out and touch them because I can)

3) someone who works for a film studio and reads books to decide whether they would make good movies (not sure if this is a real job because I read about it in a young adult book)

4) some fantasy job where all I have to do is lie on a tropical beach reading books (lottery winner?)

• 4 weeks later...

1. Professor 

2. Survey Methodologist

3. Statistical Consultant

4. Data Journalist

I am not qualified for 1-3 yet, but if I finish graduate school I would be qualified.  I could possibly do 4 if my blog went viral and people thought I was good at it (I am not sure if my blog posts are good).

• 2 months later...

Dream job:

1.,2, 3, 4: designer

Am I qualified? Yup, lots of experience and now a Masters.

Can I find work? Not to save my life.  Nobody told me that when I graduated in my 40s with a degree that this was a massive mistake.  I deeply regret the choices I've now made.

On 6/7/2018 at 9:14 PM, Bayesian1701 said:

2. Survey Methodologist

3. Statistical Consultant

4. Data Journalist

I am not qualified for 1-3 yet, but if I finish graduate school I would be qualified.  I could possibly do 4 if my blog went viral and people thought I was good at it (I am not sure if my blog posts are good).

I can make no promises nor offer any guarantees. That being said, send me an email in the event you want to explore opportunities outside of the Ivory Tower.

Can I find work? Not to save my life.  

Have you looked at opportunities at consultancies that specialize in planning services and operations management?

Based upon my (very limited) understanding of your skill set, you might be a good candidate for positions that have a lot of client/stakeholder facing responsibilities.

Thinking aloud here. I am imaging you reducing a technical report or memo or slide deck and an accompanying presentation that will be accompanied by the sounds of heads hitting tables into something that is informative, memorable, and enables a productive conversation about exceptionally controversial issues.

Edited by Sigaba

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 1:41 AM, Sigaba said:

Have you looked at opportunities at consultancies that specialize in planning services and operations management?

Based upon my (very limited) understanding of your skill set, you might be a good candidate for positions that have a lot of client/stakeholder facing responsibilities.

Thinking aloud here. I am imaging you reducing a technical report or memo or slide deck and an accompanying presentation that will be accompanied by the sounds of heads hitting tables into something that is informative, memorable, and enables a productive conversation about exceptionally controversial issues. 

I will probably end up being in a consulting role but my last role with an external client just knocked the wind out of me.  I really want to move to more of an 'in-house' role but those are hard to get into from my experience.

That's funny - you do actually capture a lot of work I've done.  I aim to be informative, memorable and help with productive conversations around hard to address issues (my thesis was on stigma on a sensitive issue) but I see now how the market for people like me is just increasingly narrow.  If you reach a certain age and don't have certain leadership experiences, I feel like everyone's just going to discriminate against you.

1. Law Professor

2. Attorney (nonprofit/NGO, not private sector)

3. Something at the UN (like Policy Analyst)

4.) Law Librarian

I am sadly not qualified for any of these. 

• 1 month later...

We are looking for graduates of science, math , physics, chemistry, biology “ to work as teachers in Dubai and Abu Dhabi at UAE ?? with a very good salary starting from 3350 sterling pounds all inclusive per month with a lot of benefits such as medical insurance , visa , flight tickets and much more

• 2 weeks later...

1. Engineering research and professor at a university

2. Fiction writer

3. Open my own school to teach children from low-income households about science and engineering

4. Professional photographer

I am not qualified for any of these, but #1 is the reason why I applying to grad school, sooooo at least there is that.

Edited by Moods 2.0

• 2 months later...

1. Museum curator in a midsized museum (MA or PhD required, currently applying)

2. Joint appointment as a museum curator and university as an art history professor (see above and below)

3. Tenured art history professor (PhD required)

4. The qualified expert in historical documentaries (I guess there's not really a standard qualification for this, you just have to know your stuff and be relatively well known in the field)

• 2 weeks later...

1) Managing Director of ASLE (Association for the Study of Literature and Environment)

2) Tenured English Professor

3) Executive Director of a Non=profit dealing with at-risk queer youth

4)E.D.for an animal rights orginization