What are your 4 dream jobs? Are you qualified for any of them?

Authorization

1. Research scientist (probably in the private sector - I don't want to be poor forever)

2. Scientific consultant (possibly working for a thinktank?)

3. Ranch owner training dressage horses

4. Photographer 

1 & 2 - working on it. 3 - Had horses and trained all throughout my youth - just a matter of "getting back on the horse", also, money.  4 - Have freelanced in the past, need to develop my skills more. 

.......and 5. Retire and travel the world by 50 :D

Edited by Gvh

• 2 weeks later...

1. Freelance copywriter

2. City planning/development consultant

3. Adult store owner (they're so fuuuuuun!)

4. Civil engineer

I currently do #1 on the side for extra shopping $$$, working on #2 (hopefully it happens?), will eventually reconnect with an old employer and get started on #3, and #4 is more of a "only if someone pays me to do another round of undergrad" kinda deal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1 - Mother.  I have never been less qualified for anything in my life; not gonna happen.

2 - Creative Writing Instructor.  Need MFA first, honestly feel qualified already based on my independent research and work.

3 - Reference Librarian.  Needs a degree far too expensive for me to attempt.  Would have to buff up on my technology skills.

4 - Graphic Novelist.  I can write and illustrate well, but I'm just not fast enough yet.  I'm still working on improving speed without sacrificing quality.

I'm a PhD student in Analytical Chemistry specializing in electrochemical sensors. 

- R&D for Industry (If the company is developing electrochemical sensors, I'm very qualified; anything else and I'll have to sell myself on my analytical skills and problem-solving talents)

- Professor at a Small Liberal Arts School (Not particularly qualified; I'm a confident public speaker, but I lack the publication record and award/accolades record required for such a job)

- Electrical engineer for an Audio/Electronics Company (Not qualified at all; I have no background in it although I've been teaching myself the basics as a hobby and really enjoy it. Too bad I didn't find this passion earlier since I definitely enjoy it more than Chemistry)

- Software engineer for a tech company (Another dream that appeared to me too late; no background in CS or programming although I've been self-learning the basics).

I guess what this tells me is that I have dug myself a hole and the only realistic option is R&D for a corporation that develops elecrochemical sensors.

1- Mom: Maybe in a few years. I'm not qualified yet. Haven't earned that Mrs. degree yet and not settling for anything else

2- Horse trainer:  Nope.  Not qualified. I trained my own horse though. But I like money and I don't want to be doing it when I'm 40 and can't heal as easily.

3- Reaserch oriented accounting professor: That is my goal as of now.  Not qualified yet, but hopefully in 5 or 6 years  I will be...

4- Arwen from Lord of the Rings: Not qualified.  Only human.  But who doesn't want to be a sword wielding elf princess and marry Aragorn?

1- Mom: Maybe in a few years. I'm not qualified yet. Haven't earned that Mrs. degree yet and not settling for anything else

2- Horse trainer:  Nope.  Not qualified. I trained my own horse though. But I like money and I don't want to be doing it when I'm 40 and can't heal as easily.

3- Reaserch oriented accounting professor: That is my goal as of now.  Not qualified yet, but hopefully in 5 or 6 years  I will be...

4- Arwen from Lord of the Rings: Not qualified.  Only human.  But who doesn't want to be a sword wielding elf princess and marry Aragorn?

Are you me?! ...Seriously...sub "accounting" for "psyc" and "trained my own horse" for "helped someone train their horse"... and we are twin not-quite-Arwens....

• 4 weeks later...

1- Security Consultant (I am one now, but this field is not so advanced in my country)

2- Security Professor/Researcher  ( eh, maybe in future I will be qualified ) 

3- Blackhat hacker ( hack for money, YAY! ) not qualified :( 

4- Soccer player ( was qualified some day, but now way too old )

oh the dreams.....

I'm a PhD student in Analytical Chemistry specializing in electrochemical sensors. 

- R&D for Industry (If the company is developing electrochemical sensors, I'm very qualified; anything else and I'll have to sell myself on my analytical skills and problem-solving talents)

- Professor at a Small Liberal Arts School (Not particularly qualified; I'm a confident public speaker, but I lack the publication record and award/accolades record required for such a job)

- Electrical engineer for an Audio/Electronics Company (Not qualified at all; I have no background in it although I've been teaching myself the basics as a hobby and really enjoy it. Too bad I didn't find this passion earlier since I definitely enjoy it more than Chemistry)

- Software engineer for a tech company (Another dream that appeared to me too late; no background in CS or programming although I've been self-learning the basics).

I guess what this tells me is that I have dug myself a hole and the only realistic option is R&D for a corporation that develops elecrochemical sensors.

Are you sure you can't do #3 & #4?  Someone here on GC switched from chem to software engineer without a degree in the field (or a lot of programming experience).  I also know of people IRL who have used their chem education to become an entry-level engineer and work their way up.  Look into these things.  Tap into your network and find out what is truly possible.

These are my jobs:

1. Content creator (chemistry) for educational technology company.  I actually may be qualified at this point.  But, this job would be a stepping stone to my real, dream job.

2. Creator of chemistry games and apps at an established company.  Rather than just creating the content, I'd need the programming chops.  So,  I'm not qualified at this time.  But, if I get good news from an admissions committee this week, I'll be well on my way.

3. Creator of chemistry games and apps as an entrepreneur :wub:   This would be ideal, and I am not qualified.  But, just you wait, I'll get there...eventually.

4. Mom.  Not qualified yet, and as someone else said, I want the MRS first.  As with Dream Job #3, I'll get there (before I turn 900). 

1. Psychology Research Professor, tenured, providing literature on ethical/moral social ambiguities. Not fully qualified yet. I teach classes and am working on an independent research study to help get more credentials for it.

2. Social Science Researcher. So I can do at least part of it! Again, not quite fully qualified for it.

3. Director of College Counseling Center - need higher degree. Currently in a Licensure Counseling Masters Program which may qualify me for some of these. Interning next year at La Salle University. So that will give me more experience.

4. (back up plan) Director of a Mental Health Program. Such as an ACT team, County program, etc. I've worked for several of these programs and have been offered promotions, but again would need a higher degree to climb that high.

No matter what though, I also want to be a mother. But, as that's a completely different category, it's not on the list.

1) Neurobiology researcher (especially working out of the Woods Hole MBL)

2) Professor (like, one at a research university. So far off of a prospect I can't even see it)

3) Something to do with public aquariums???? God I love aquariums

4) Owner of a cute little greenhouse/plant shop (I'm not even good with plants, I just want to sit around them all day)

My dream jobs:

Makeup and special FX artist at WETA workshop in New Zealand

Fantasy Illustrator/Artist

Science Fiction writer

Travel Channel TV host that goes all over the world

Interesting thread...requires some thought.

I think if I had to choose 4 dream jobs, I would choose:

1. Interior Designer / I wouldn't say I'm truly qualified for this job, but I have worked in real estate and I have taken multiple art and design classes in college and in high school so I feel like I could probably combine those in some way.

2. World Journalist/Traveler / I have worked some in journalism and enjoy traveling, and I would love to be able to contribute to world news by traversing different countries, learning about new cultures, and sharing what I learn.

3. Wedding/lifestyle photographer / I love love love photography and I want to capture special days for couples in the most natural and beautiful way possible.

4. Professor / This is the one that I am taking my time to earn. I want to expand and inspire minds like my teachers and professors did for me!

For a serious answer:

1. Meteorologist

2. Ornithologist

3. Offensive coordinator/football mad scientist

4. ...I guess a history professor, idk, I kind of like my job sometimes.

Did I post in this forum already?

Hmmm, I like "independently wealthy philanthropist." It'd be pretty awesome to sit on a bunch of boards and help direct the agenda of a couple important charities.

Even if I did post they probably changed anyway, so 

1. Professor at an elite small LAC

2. U.S. Assistant Secretary for Health

3. Some lower-level position in HHS in which I could use public health research to influence public health policy

4. User experience researcher at Google

I am qualified to do #1, #3 and #4...Asst. Sec.s usually have an MD + an MPH, and I have a PhD in public health. So while I feel like I could still do the job (after, you know, about 20 years doing something else in public health) I probably would never get appointed because I don't have an MD.

1. Professor/Psychologist- working towards this one

2. Writer- fiction books but contribute at NYT or The Guardian- never happening

3. Detective/Private Investigator- never happening 

4. Journalist/Photographer- never happening

Honorable mentions: Bulldog breeder, Philanthropist (giving money away a la Oprah), Astrophysicist, Supreme Court Justice. 

1) Fashion & Textiles Curator - MA on lock and starting my PhD in the fall so I'm on the way there

2) Professor of Cultural Studies/Art History/Material Culture/any visual-based humanities discipline 

3) Digital Media Creator - I have a camera and editing skills and that's really all that you need.

4) Stylist/Personal shopper - Already do this freelance.

• 4 weeks later...

1. R&D Scientist in a Big Pharma company in the UK or Germany

2. VP of Production & Distribution @ said Pharma company

3. Chemical Engineer/Process Design Engineer in a Biotech company

4. Artist (Graphite drawing or clay mediums)

*5. TV and Movie critic

*6. Something like Man vs. Food

I'm on my way to be qualified for #1 & 2. I already worked as #3 (didn't care too much for it). #4 is my hobby (15 yrs of experience) but very hard to make a comfortable living strictly doing art. I would love to do #5 but I have no clue how people get into these jobs (plus I don't think I'm cynical enough to always criticize a show/movie, I like to find the positives). #6 Would be fun for like a year, then it would be exhausting  :).

1. R&D scientist for the electronics/chip manufacturing industry - not fully qualified yet

2. Linguist - ??? not at all qualified! I love languages.

3. Philanthropist - Not qualified (yet!).

4. Educating local communities of  valid concerns - I dunno.

1. Fight choreographer for movies and TV.

2. Fashion designer.

3. Costume designer.

4. History professor.

That's three "nos" and an "I'm working on it."