Anthropology Results 2014

Canis

Just got an unconditional acceptance for an MSc at London School of Economics! I didn't get any GSS funding though, which is disappointing. Still in the running for scholarships, so fingers crossed!! I love this program, but I won't be able to accept without funding. Still, nice to have the first response be a positive one!

Just got an unconditional acceptance for an MSc at London School of Economics! I didn't get any GSS funding though, which is disappointing. Still in the running for scholarships, so fingers crossed!! I love this program, but I won't be able to accept without funding. Still, nice to have the first response be a positive one!

Congratulations! Hope the funding situation works out :) 

Hello everyone! I have a question for everyone in this waiting game for anthropology: I am a PhD applicant with interest in archaeology. I applied to UCLA (cotsen) , Stony Brook, Boston, Pittsburgh, Arizona University, stanford (not going to happen), and chicago (also not going to happen-, i will sacrifice my little finger if that works out)

My worry are my GRE scores, or more so my quantitative score that was abysmal ;( - my first GRE it was the same situation reversed. I sent in both scores. my GPA is alright, 3.56 and 3.58 (BA, MA).

During the last week of December i got an informal email from Stony Brook that invited me to visit the campus before admission decisions are made, and that they will cover some of the travel expenses. I went, and it was very different than i imagined. They asked questions like " So , will you have trouble finding excavations by yourself", "do you have anyone to stay with in Turkey", "do you need help in this and that are" ....questions like that....no one really asked me about what i actually want to do..they were very specific questions like that. I met with 3 faculty members and i was introduced to a bunch of graduate students. 
Does anyone know anything about this university? Is this a good sign? I cant even tell if it was an interview or what, but i DO know that the committee has not formally met yet, so that cant be a good sign....I dont know what to think since i have NEVER heard of an invitation like this. 

Any input will we greatly appreciated. I just dont think i can get in anywhere because of my GRE..... I have lost all hope already

Congratssssss ! I hope it works out, London is very expensive but people are managing, so it has been done before!

Has anyone heard any word from the anthro program at Notre Dame?  I know that they were supposed to start inviting interview candidates "mid-January" but I haven't seen anything posted.

There's lots of good information here about when faculty committees tend to meet -- anyone know if that means decisions will come shortly thereafter or if there is a lapse in time between when decisions are made and when they are sent? 

can you tell I'm impatient?   :huh:  

Gradcat- it depends. Sometimes the prof will call or email who they have accepted or if not you are at the mercy of the secretary. Some are quick and some are lazy. Plus some university do online so the results are faster some do snail mail. I got acceptances both ways and it drove me crazy. I saw an acceptance to my university 4 days before mine came from snail mail so I thought I was rejected but turned out they lived like 20 driving hours closer to my current university. I much perform an online means such as a website or email since most of mine came that way. Funny I got my first choice but was totally upset because it took forever, 4 days is a long time during this process.

I have been lurking for the past week, I just thought I'd jump in and say that I'm absolutely dying over here playing the waiting game.

I started lurking today, and I'm dying as well. Where did you apply? What are you interested in? I've applied to UC Berkeley (as a sort of shoot-for-the-moon thing, I don't expect to get in), UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego, and University of Pittsburgh. I want to do Andean archaeology. 

I'm so completely nervous. My GPA is not great (3.0, but 3.5 for my major) and my GRE scores were average (V 162, Q 142, Writing 4.5). But I have a very clear idea of what I want to do, I have done research and presented at conferences, and one of my LOR got his PhD at Pitt and is currently working out a deal to have them send students to his field school, so they know who he is and everything.

Sorry if that's information overload, but I'm just dying to know what I'm up against and what my chances are. I know I'm not the most stellar applicant but I went ahead and applied because archaeological research is what I want to do with my life.

Edited by danaofdoom

Pleased to meet you Danaofdoom! 

I am applying to Chicago, Columbia, Stanford, Cornell, and NYU to study cultural anthropology. My interests are in folk religion, folk religion in urban areas, and constructing identity through religion. My GPA isn't super stellar either 3.5, 3.6 in major, and my GRE are basically the same as yours. I think I had decent LOR's, field school in Israel last summer, and assistant researcher positions. My SOP probably wasn't that great, and my POI's never really sounded super enthusiastic about working with me. Most replies I received were the standard, "I appreciate you contacting me, and I encourage you to apply, but we have a very selective program, yada, yada..." So that's what worries me the most. 

I also applied to Tulane and University of Washington, both for MA's in Latin America and Caribbean Studies. 

So yeah, I said I wouldn't worry about it and just go with the flow, but now I'm definitely stressing. I've decided that if I end up being rejected from every program then I'm working out the year and heading to the Caribbean on my own to live for a few months. That being said, good luck to you! 

Edited by Forsaken in LA

Gradcat- it depends. Sometimes the prof will call or email who they have accepted or if not you are at the mercy of the secretary. Some are quick and some are lazy. Plus some university do online so the results are faster some do snail mail. I got acceptances both ways and it drove me crazy. I saw an acceptance to my university 4 days before mine came from snail mail so I thought I was rejected but turned out they lived like 20 driving hours closer to my current university. I much perform an online means such as a website or email since most of mine came that way. Funny I got my first choice but was totally upset because it took forever, 4 days is a long time during this process.

That must have been the most miserable four days of your life.  Thank goodness your story has a happy ending!

I've decided that it's the small size of these programs that makes this waiting game so nerve-wracking.  From everything that's been posted on this forum it sounds like you could have everything going for you-- high GPA & GRE, great recs, strong SoP, pubs -- and still not be accepted.  It is a little bit insane.   

Gradcat- if you meet the min gpa and gre scores of the school then they aren't used besides for funding. Then it comes down to fit. And I don't know if its much chance by my experience. Every acceptance I got was a perfect fit and thinking back every rejection I got in some way was me trying to force a fit.

That's actually encouraging to know, anthrogeek.   I keep picturing committees picking names out of a hat.  :)  I wouldn't want to be at a program that isn't a good fit, I am sure you are very happy to have ended up where you did.  

I did have one other question, if you (or anyone) happens to know:  do the 2013 grad cafe results provide an accurate indicator of when specific school's decisions are coming down?  I didn't know if committees meet the same time every year or if some years they might meet earlier or later.   (again, impatient.) :)