Anthropology Results 2014

Canis

Well, tomorrow is the initial adcom meeting for the University of Chicago followed by a Monday departmental meeting. Good luck to all those applying! 

Yikes! That would be me too. Fingers crossed for all of us!

I wouldn't expect anything at CUNY to ever happen on time. It's just not that kind of place. Also - there is a winter break, and this is the very first week of classes, so it's very busy around there. The centralized computer systems they use (and are trying to use) for all the campuses are constantly down, and there's endless problems with registrations, etc. I'm sure the members of the department, who all teach elsewhere as well - are busy with a lot of other things at the moment.

Last year the first results were around February 6th - and they trickled out over the next few months. They will never have extra money at CUNY - so they're going to be very careful about offers and people will probably be offered spots from the wait list up until the very last minute in April.

Thanks for the information! I didn't realize their break was so long. I take it you aren't the biggest fan? Is there anything else you can tell me about the school or program? Feel free to PM me! I applied to CUNY purely because of research fit (well, and location), and though I was able to correspond with a few professors and a grad student, I feel like a visit would've really enabled me to understand and get to know the school. Unfortunately, I haven't had the monies. Overall, I've felt pretty positively about the program and the faculty.

Thanks for the information! I didn't realize their break was so long. I take it you aren't the biggest fan? Is there anything else you can tell me about the school or program? Feel free to PM me! I applied to CUNY purely because of research fit (well, and location), and though I was able to correspond with a few professors and a grad student, I feel like a visit would've really enabled me to understand and get to know the school. Unfortunately, I haven't had the monies. Overall, I've felt pretty positively about the program and the faculty.

Yeah xstopfloating, I'm in the same situation as you are... no money to visit but perfect fit.

I just checked their calendar, and classes started on Monday?! Wow. Anyway, I did expect CUNY to take longer since the professors work at other colleges as well...

Well, tomorrow is the initial adcom meeting for the University of Chicago followed by a Monday departmental meeting. Good luck to all those applying! 

HI! so is this only the ANthropology Department??? I applied to the Languages and Near Eastern Civilizations for some weird reason...hahahha. DO you think they will meet too ? By the way, what is a adcom meeting?

HI! so is this only the ANthropology Department??? I applied to the Languages and Near Eastern Civilizations for some weird reason...hahahha. DO you think they will meet too ? By the way, what is a adcom meeting?

Adcom means admission committee 

Re: CUNY - I love it. It's an amazing institution - the largest public urban university system in the country. The professors are world class - some of the best, and the opportunities are endless (like working at AMNH, and other cool locations). The students are more diverse than anywhere else. Seriously love it.

The institution, the bureaucracy, the board of trustees, all of that - are horrible. It's a massive public institution. They all have that problem. The Affordable Care Act online healthcare exchanges worked flawlessly in comparison to "CUNYFirst" - the new database system that is supposed to centralize all information at 24 campuses which is a nightmare. The trustees are always trying to stop CUNY from doing real research, and trying to get anything done there is like the definition of kafkaesque. But this is true of all the big public research schools.

My information is from the Anthropology Dept. Chair.  I couldn't tell you about any other departments. sorry. 

Yikes! Forsaken, do you happen to know if this means decisions will come in early February?  Or will we have to wait until late Feb like in previous years?  

Also:  fingers crossed for everyone!!!! 

Edited by gradcat

Yikes! Forsaken, do you happen to know if this means decisions will come in early February?  Or will we have to wait until late Feb like in previous years?  

Also:  fingers crossed for everyone!!!! 

From what I gathered, the department should know who they are accepting by the end of Monday the 3rd. I do not know the timeline after that, but I was told that if you happen to be one of those few chosen, you would know quite a bit earlier than late Feb.  

Does anyone else get really excited when they see an unknown number calling, hoping that it's a call from a POI?

I did undergrad at one of the schools I'm applying to, so now every time I see a call from that area code, I answer eagerly and then its always someone asking me to give money to the alumni campaign - arghhhhh! 

From what I gathered, the department should know who they are accepting by the end of Monday the 3rd. I do not know the timeline after that, but I was told that if you happen to be one of those few chosen, you would know quite a bit earlier than late Feb.  

Aren't we all counting hours? Not even days...

It has become a real torture.

Does anyone else get really excited when they see an unknown number calling, hoping that it's a call from a POI?

I did undergrad at one of the schools I'm applying to, so now every time I see a call from that area code, I answer eagerly and then its always someone asking me to give money to the alumni campaign - arghhhhh! 

Ha! Yes, except yesterday a number from like Grenada called. I couldn't get to it, but apparently its a scam.  I was momentarily excited though!

Ha! Yes, except yesterday a number from like Grenada called. I couldn't get to it, but apparently its a scam.  I was momentarily excited though!

Whoa.  I am also getting calls from Grenada, Antigua, and Dominica.  Wtf?

NoSleep - YES.  Every random phone call, ever single new email makes my heart leap.  And of course I am getting way more telemarketers and way more junk mail than I have ever gotten.  *sigh*

HA! This couldn't be more accurate! Ive been unsubscribing from so much spam! I never realized how many emails UCLA spams me with daily, until I paid attention to every knock on my phone.  It's so nice to have everyone here feeling the same way. We may be crazy, but we're crazy together.

NoSleep - YES.  Every random phone call, every single new email makes my heart leap.  And of course I am getting way more telemarketers and way more junk mail than I have ever gotten.  *sigh*

I usually don't answer to numbers I don't know, so I'd probably miss the call! Hopefully the university's name will appear in the caller ID.

I got some good news today! Accepted to University of South Carolina for PhD! This makes the sting of Duke's rejection a bit better.

That's great! Congratulations! Hope you hear good news from the other ones as well.

Thanks everyone! At this point seeing other peoples acceptances helps boost your own moral. So let's hope we all start seeing more good news!

Archeaostudent - it is a pretty good program. Some of the professors are amazing teaching AND researchers! It's a really good place to do archaeology, many of the arch students have crazy interesting projects.