Anthropology Results 2014

Canis

I have been lurking for the past week, I just thought I'd jump in and say that I'm absolutely dying over here playing the waiting game.

I just want the rejection letters sooner rather than later, although I can guess that I am not on the "in" list if word of interview invites have started and I know that I can't count my name among them : :unsure:

I just want the rejection letters sooner rather than later, although I can guess that I am not on the "in" list if word of interview invites have started and I know that I can't count my name among them : :unsure:

Maybe they don't interview for your specialty, someone mentioned before that mostly soc anths. interview.

Hi everyone! So I'm new to gradcafe but always been a believer in working together against anxiety and to figure out this complicated application process; best of luck to everyone!

I have a couple questions regarding the waiting-period for grad school apps... First, for those schools that I wasn't able to speak with any professors (who I'd be interested to work with) prior to submitting my application, do you think it's still good to try to speak with them now, or would you recommend against it at this point?  

Also, would it be worth sending an update letter / letter of interest to my top schools?  And anyone know what exact format to follow for such a letter?  For a few of my apps with Dec 1st deadlines, I had to submit them listing forthcoming publications that are now published and I would like to send admissions the full publication information.

And has anyone heard from CUNY, Brown or Northwestern yet?

Thanks!!

Anyone have any information on CUNY? The admission FAQ states that results are made four to eight weeks after the program deadline (this week being the 8th week...), but a quick GradCafe result search shows that most results from CUNY came late Feb/mid-March.

Had any of you CUNY applicants submitted additional materials to the graduate admissions office? The application itself didn't have a place to insert a CV (or writing sample, I think), so I e-mailed mine over to admissions back in November. Someone responded and said it would be included in my "file" but I have no way of seeing that it's accounted for on my application summary. I feel my application depends on these two items.

Truly, I'm not as frantic as I may sound, but I have had a rough day. It's nice to talk to you guys since I don't know anyone else going through this process IRL. :)

Had any of you CUNY applicants submitted additional materials to the graduate admissions office? The application itself didn't have a place to insert a CV (or writing sample, I think), so I e-mailed mine over to admissions back in November. Someone responded and said it would be included in my "file" but I have no way of seeing that it's accounted for on my application summary. I feel my application depends on these two items.

Truly, I'm not as frantic as I may sound, but I have had a rough day. It's nice to talk to you guys since I don't know anyone else going through this process IRL. :)

I know what you mean about feeling alone in this process... I am too. Although sometimes we get a bit neurotic on here, I think, it's still nice to have that sense of community.

As far as the materials go, I didn't apply to CUNY but if you sent it back in November maybe you should shoot them a quick email or phone call? That's what I would do just to make sure.

I tend generally to be extremely reluctant to email POIs or departments at this point for pretty much any reason, although I see that I'm alone in that on this forum. They said they had it way back when, so I would just hope for the best and let it be. They are being inundated, I'm sure, with antsy applicants worrying about every little thing. Obviously we are ALL antsy and that is fine, but I would avoid letting the department see that. At this point in the game, we just have to wait.

I'm sure they have your cv and writing sample. The thing is though, that although those things certainly matter, I'm not sure how influential they are. My understanding is that given the sheer volume of written pages in each app, you're lucky if they read every word of your SOP. Most schools say the SOP is the most important factor, and I'm guessing they only really look at your writing sample and cv if your SOP puts you in the top of the pack.

But anyway, they are all busy and well into reading applications by now. Most schools have most likely already done a round of ranking and/or of culling. In my mind, the risk of sounding needy/demanding/difficult to work with in ANY way (something that can definitely prevent admission), is far greater than the reward of perhaps a little peace of mind. Challenging as it is, we just have to hang tight for a few more weeks. It will all be fine.

I agree with archaeostudent1231's thought that it's best not to annoy them. But, if you are only calling/emailing a graduate secretary, they have no connection to the admissions committee, or admissions decisions. You could email them all day every day and they aren't going to impact your admissions decision. Emailing POIs or the graduate department chair, or other faculty is a different matter.