2014 Applications... waiting room.

BuddingScholar

Hahahaha I got accepted to Bard Graduate Center.....and they wanted $20,000 per year in loans and that didn't even cover the $60,000 projected total costs. YIKES. Absolutely no way to even live off of loans alone. Guess I was right in thinking it was a school for the rich :/ Disappointing but solidifies my school choice elsewhere.

Could the person who emailed Williams tell us if they mentioned when the official news will be coming out? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

That's the only school missing from my list! : (

Could the person who emailed Williams tell us if they mentioned when the official news will be coming out? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

That's the only school missing from my list! : (

Yeah I totally want to know if I got in, haha. Also what is an "EXPLODING OFFER" ? 

I'm seriously gonna have a heart attack. My external-fellowship-people are the only ones with access to my applications and they know Duke's answer already. But for some reason they will let me know "shortly." And I know their office hours are about to finish, so I'm probably going to have to wait until tomorrow :(

I'm so glad I only applied to four schools this year, I have all of my answers in now (even though one of them is waitlist and I had to email to get that).

Now looking back, I wish I had not applied to so many schools. But after last year's disastrous experience, I thought I needed to hedge my bets and applied to 11 schools. Now Williams is the only school missing, and though I have more than redeemed myself from last year's experience, I am still nervous AS HELL. And once I noticed that someone had already been accepted on the board, I felt like I could not handle the wait anymore, kid you not! :wacko: I am having to restraint myself to the chair to keep me from emailing them and asking for the result. Hence my writing incessantly here.

Anyway, I say all this as an attempt to convince myself that I need to stop worrying and whining, and be happy that excellent programs have already accepted me with funding. And if Williams acceptance does come through, that it would just be the icing on the cake--I must confess a predilection for icing though. B)

In any case, I am truly glad for your success this time around. As I said before, we had similar experiences last app season and I know exactly how it feels to have had a considerably better outcome this year. Congratulations again! :D

Now looking back, I wish I had not applied to so many schools. But after last year's disastrous experience, I thought I needed to hedge my bets and applied to 11 schools. Now Williams is the only school missing, and though I have more than redeemed myself from last year's experience, I am still nervous AS HELL. And once I noticed that someone had already been accepted on the board, I felt like I could not handle the wait anymore, kid you not! :wacko: I am having to restraint myself to the chair to keep me from emailing them and asking for the result. Hence my writing incessantly here.

Anyway, I say all this as an attempt to convince myself that I need to stop worrying and whining, and be happy that excellent programs have already accepted me with funding. And if Williams acceptance does come through, that it would just be the icing on the cake--I must confess a predilection for icing though. B)

In any case, I am truly glad for your success this time around. As I said before, we had similar experiences last app season and I know exactly how it feels to have had a considerably better outcome this year. Congratulations again! :D

Thanks! I'm actually about to email my POI-turned-advisor and let her know that I'm officially accepting and see if there's anything they want me to start working on that I haven't already done over the next few months- I am the definition of eager beaver and I've already given myself huge reading lists to get through but if there's anything they want me to start doing officially or unofficially so I can hit the ground running I want to know nowwwww. I had to write out basically a chapter outline of my dissertation for my application so now I really just want to get cracking, since they've basically already unofficially approved my topic and methods.

I'm so glad things seem to be working out for us second-rounders this year! I don't know how you had the intestinal fortitude to do 11 applications, I actually dropped one of my schools that I'd originally planned to apply to because I just couldn't face doing another one. We'll have to have some kind of digital pizza party on April 15 around here!!

I turned down a school explaining the package wasn't enough and I was regretfully turning it down in favor of a funded program and they wrote back asking if I was serious about turning them down or would still consider it if more money was found. Awkward? I don't want to have to explain why it's financially impossible for me... 

Does anyone have any experience with the MA program at U of Oregon that they would mind sharing with me? It seems like a nice program from  the website, but I would love to hear a current or past students opinion! Please share or PM me!

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful so far!

Anyone else out there still waiting to hear back from Rutgers for PhD?

Yeah (I am) but I hear they do like a spread out notification?

m-ttl, my mother wants me to try that with one of the schools that made me an offer to see if they'll up the ante.

I have conveniently not told my family anything yet...partially for this very reason. Edited by m-ttl

I have conveniently not told my family anything yet...partially for this very reason.

I live 2500 miles away so I tend to keep them in the loop more than I necessarily would if I lived at home, just because any sort of decision involves that much more effort to pull off in the practical and to help us all feel like we're involved in each others' lives. On the other hand, it does mean hour-long conversations with my mother on a weekly basis where we rehash why, yes, moving to the UK to do this degree with this person is the best idea even though it's going to make life difficult for a few years, no, this other offer is not as good or as valuable in the long run, no, I do want you to be involved in my life, yes I will miss you, of course I understand how this means I won't see you as much, no I TOTALLY don't plan on marrying while I'm there and having babies and getting a job at the V&A and never coming home where on earth did you get that idea, etc etc etc.

I live 2500 miles away so I tend to keep them in the loop more than I necessarily would if I lived at home, just because any sort of decision involves that much more effort to pull off in the practical and to help us all feel like we're involved in each others' lives. On the other hand, it does mean hour-long conversations with my mother on a weekly basis where we rehash why, yes, moving to the UK to do this degree with this person is the best idea even though it's going to make life difficult for a few years, no, this other offer is not as good or as valuable in the long run, no, I do want you to be involved in my life, yes I will miss you, of course I understand how this means I won't see you as much, no I TOTALLY don't plan on marrying while I'm there and having babies and getting a job at the V&A and never coming home where on earth did you get that idea, etc etc etc.

Gotta love family! I told my ahead of time (to great protests!) that I wasn't going to inform them until I'd chosen a school (which I have), but also that I wanted to surprise them. I ordered like "____ UNIVERSITY MOM" mugs and "_____ U DAD" window clings and so on so it's going to be a to-do :) I'm also going to rather lovingly write down where exactly the Catholic Newman center is on campus for my Nana (and where the other local churches and/or cathedral is) because I know she won't rest until she knows they are nearby if I "need absolutely anything at all." My cousin who is about three years younger than me decided he wanted to move to seattle, so my Nana immediately google mapped the nearby churches to the apartment he was staying in. Anything less than that and I'll be receiving detailed emails and step by step directions. 

Someone also taught her how to use skype so when I first went to college I lied and said I didn't have an account so I wouldn't have to carry her on my laptop around campus as per her requests... 

This upcoming week is my spring break, which will make it easiest to "tell". 

Edited by m-ttl

To those who posted about interviews with UVA back in late January. Do you know if:

a) they were interviewing all the candidates they were interested in? 

and

B) have you heard anything from them since?

anyone have experience with being accepted from the wait list? this is agony.

Tell me about it! I'm sitting on the WUSTL waitlist- its my top choice and this waiting is killing me!

I am going insane! I have also been wait-listed by my top choice. My doctor had to increase my blood pressure medication. :(  Unfortunately, I don't drink or smoke, otherwise I know where I would be drowning my anxiety and sorrow right now. ;)

Hang in there guys, let's keep our fingers crossed!