2014 Applications... waiting room.

BuddingScholar

Can a Columbia admit from the board update those of us who have not heard? 

I didn't apply to Columbia's art history program, but was accepted by a related department. They've invited admitted students across all disciplines (or humanities at least) for visiting days March 6-7. Since there have been rejections and acceptances from art history, if you haven't heard anything you're probably on an unofficial waitlist. So you probably won't hear anything until people start accepting or rejecting offers, which likely won't happen until after visiting days. I know the waiting is super annoying! I am in the same position for another school that has sent out acceptances and rejections, but I've heard nothing. 

Congrats, man!

Thanks! I'm over the moon!! One of them was one of my top choices: a PhD w/ full tuition remission, big stipend**, and a curatorial track. The fit is perfect and I'm going to accept (they even said they thought they were perfect for me and I may have blurted that I was glad they agreed with me). No point in going to an MA when the PhD program I want is already on the table. :D  :wub:

**It's so silly, but I'm so excited I'll be able to afford a cat! And not have to work two extra jobs on top of being a student. My boss gave me a big hug when I told her. 

Edited by m-ttl

Thanks! I'm over the moon!! One of them was one of my top choices: a PhD w/ full tuition remission, big stipend**, and a curatorial track. The fit is perfect and I'm going to accept (they even said they thought they were perfect for me and I may have blurted that I was glad they agreed with me). No point in going to an MA when the PhD program I want is already on the table. :D  :wub:

**It's so silly, but I'm so excited I'll be able to afford a cat! And not have to work two extra jobs on top of being a student. My boss gave me a big hug when I told her. 

Kittyyyyyy. I want a dog but I'm going to be living in student housing for a year and I don't think a dog would 1) be allowed 2) do well in a room that's basically one and a half twin beds long and two twin beds wide.

IMO cats (we have two) are much better than dogs for graduate life. It's possible to leave a cat or even a couple of them by themselves for a quick conference trip. Dog? Much more problematic. Plus, having had both cats and a dog at different times in my life, I can say that cats definitely require less investment in terms of time. Not that I grudge spending time with animals, but it's a bit more peaceful with cats.

Kittyyyyyy. I want a dog but I'm going to be living in student housing for a year and I don't think a dog would 1) be allowed 2) do well in a room that's basically one and a half twin beds long and two twin beds wide.

I looked at student housing and found it wanting. 3-days for guests only rules are kind of...arbitrary. But more importantly: $990 for an unfurnished apartment?? It's nuts, given what it is. I think I'm massively spoiled: I pay $500 for a furnished apartment: full kitchen, couch, chair, I share my room with a friend so beds, desks, two closets, private bathroom, nightstands, dressers... 

The idea of paying double for less that what I'm already getting in a smaller town than where I live now. Eeeh. I might look into it but off campus, the unfurnished apartment I'm looking at is $825. Cats and being able to have a roommate or my family visit for a week? Awesome. 

IMO cats (we have two) are much better than dogs for graduate life. It's possible to leave a cat or even a couple of them by themselves for a quick conference trip. Dog? Much more problematic. Plus, having had both cats and a dog at different times in my life, I can say that cats definitely require less investment in terms of time. Not that I grudge spending time with animals, but it's a bit more peaceful with cats.

I should clarify: I love and adore both (My family has four dogs), but...being able to afford housing which allows dogs is an uphill climb. Haha. 
Edited by m-ttl

I looked at student housing and found it wanting. 3-days for guests only rules are kind of...arbitrary. But more importantly: $990 for an unfurnished apartment?? It's nuts, given what it is. I think I'm massively spoiled: I pay $500 for a furnished apartment: full kitchen, couch, chair, I share my room with a friend so beds, desks, two closets, private bathroom, nightstands, dressers... 

I'm ollieing out to the UK so at least for the first year, dorm life is the way to go- apparently apartment managers will ask for up four months' rent in advance for first time international renters, and since I won't know anyone I'd feel more comfortable in the grad housing for the first couple terms, where there's a built in support system and people who have to be nice to me (and 24 hour art studios in the building and also apparently a fishable lake right out in front of the dorm).

I'm ollieing out to the UK so at least for the first year, dorm life is the way to go- apparently apartment managers will ask for up four months' rent in advance for first time international renters, and since I won't know anyone I'd feel more comfortable in the grad housing for the first couple terms, where there's a built in support system and people who have to be nice to me (and 24 hour art studios in the building and also apparently a fishable lake right out in front of the dorm).

Makes complete sense! I looked at UK prices and went "Nah." In that case, I'd definitely live in dorm housing. Probably the better option, in terms of stress! 

Wheee a third acceptance. :D 

Huge congratulations!!!!!! It is such a relief to get an offer with funding, isn't it? :D

On a different note, I hope you will choose to adopt a kitty cat, instead of buying one from a breeder. Huge animal lover here, so I am very excited for you. He or she will make your life in grad school a lot better, I promise! :wub:

Huge congratulations!!!!!! It is such a relief to get an offer with funding, isn't it? :D

On a different note, I hope you will choose to adopt a kitty cat, instead of buying one from a breeder. Huge animal lover here, so I am very excited for you. He or she will make your life in grad school a lot better, I promise! :wub:

Oh!!! I didn't realize I didn't specify. I am ABSOLUTELY going to adopt, and am open to older cats (and black cats which often struggle to be adopted). One of my best friends is a cat rescue volunteer and got her cat during her MA. I've only ever adopted from no-kill shelters before, I wouldn't dream of going to a cat breeder or pet store.  :wub:

1- Get a cat, they're great.

2- I have two days left before my deadline, given to me by Toronto's HA Grad department, to "confirm acceptance of [my] offer."  I haven't heard back from any other schools yet.  Anyone have any advice? 

1- Get a cat, they're great.

2- I have two days left before my deadline, given to me by Toronto's HA Grad department, to "confirm acceptance of [my] offer." I haven't heard back from any other schools yet. Anyone have any advice?

I spoke with someone the other day who was in a very similar situation with a different school. They emailed the department with the rapidly approaching deadline and explained their situation and were given an extension. You could cross your fingers and try that, especially if you aren't certain about funding issues.

I spoke with someone the other day who was in a very similar situation with a different school. They emailed the department with the rapidly approaching deadline and explained their situation and were given an extension. You could cross your fingers and try that, especially if you aren't certain about funding issues.

I'm drafting that email right now.  Thanks, I hope it works out. 

Argh! U beat me to it! Kinda relieved it'll be all over soon.

I was literally sending my dad links to funding information for another school when that one came in. Now I'm just going to email my last hold out for closure and be done with it all.

I still have three schools left but im thinking if I havent heard anything at this point its a lost cause (ie harvard), and I can happily accept the offer from my top choice school.........

....maybe tomorrow.

I was literally sending my dad links to funding information for another school when that one came in. Now I'm just going to email my last hold out for closure and be done with it all.

Does anyone know anything about Williams?  Looking at past years it seems they've notified around March 2 and March 8th, so I'm guessing any time now? 

When I accepted an offer the graduate advisor just wrote back "wow.....excellent....." and the ambiguity of these ellipses is freaking me out...but I think it means I should have asked for more money!!

When I accepted an offer the graduate advisor just wrote back "wow.....excellent....." and the ambiguity of these ellipses is freaking me out...but I think it means I should have asked for more money!!

I had one POI last year answer me in one sentence ending with a period and no sign off as an ENCOURAGEMENT to apply after our meeting, like, "Thanks for your interest and please do apply." Least helpful ever.