Fall 2014 Sociology Interviews and/or Acceptances

Maleficent999

Maleficent, that's MAGNIFICENT!!!! I have been thinking about you a lot since you've been in the same boat as I am with UCLA.

I am so happy for you! 

Thank you :D I really needed it. I'm not religious at all but I was having a REALLY low night last night (my relationship is sort of falling apart as a result of my grad school ambitions) and I really needed a win to prove to myself I'm not going through this for nothing. This letter sort of came at the perfect time. Davis doesn't guarantee funding unfortunately, so it's still up in the air as to whether I'm actually going to grad school or not but it gives me hope that other offers could be on the way.

Keep your chin up, Chicago. IT'S NOT OVER UNTIL IT IS OVER. That is my new mantra. Or maybe it should be: "What do we say when we are met with death!? NOT TODAY!"

Oh my gosh....are we living parallel lives? I am going through the same thing. I almost started a thread about the graduate school process and relationships yesterday. 

Anyway, I am so happy that things are looking up for you.  Keeping my hope alive!

Oh my gosh....are we living parallel lives? I am going through the same thing. I almost started a thread about the graduate school process and relationships yesterday. 

Anyway, I am so happy that things are looking up for you.  Keeping my hope alive!

You should start that thread, although I'm sure we could drudge one up from somewhere too. I don't think its uncommon. I definitely have a lot to say on the matter.

Just a quick note that I have heard directly from someone inside Binghamton Sociology that they will make their final admittance decisions when the faculty meets on February 21st.  I saw a few of you have applied there as well. 

Keep your chin up, Chicago. IT'S NOT OVER UNTIL IT IS OVER. That is my new mantra. Or maybe it should be: "What do we say when we are met with death!? NOT TODAY!"

Not meaning to butt in this cohorts sense of camaraderie but I'd second this as one of last years applicants.   I spent at least 5 hours a day during application season on this board and had nothing to show for it but rejections up until that one glorious e-mail.. (on the 23rd of March...) so yeah - keep on keeping on! 

Everyone here will probably be sitting there in 6 months,   snowed in the middle of nowhere,  asking yourselves why the hell you agreed to this in the first place -.- 

Edited by ohgoodness

Not meaning to butt in this cohorts sense of camaraderie but I'd second this as one of last years applicants.   I spent at least 5 hours a day during application season on this board and had nothing to show for it but rejections up until that one glorious e-mail.. (on the 23rd of March...) so yeah - keep on keeping on! 

Everyone here will probably be sitting there in 6 months,   snowed in the middle of nowhere,  asking yourselves why the hell you agreed to this in the first place -.- 

This!

Also, I only applied to 1 school where it will snow a lot very regularly out of that exact fear.

Hello all

I have an acceptance at Davis as well - wondering if anyone knows what the funding situation could be? I've been searching on these boards for anything from previous Davis students to see what kind of package they might offer. Has anyone seen anything? 

For those who were accepted to UNC, are you doing the recruitment weekend on Feb. 28th - Mar. 1st? Have you already booked your flight or received a packet?

I'm international, so I'm not sure whether I'll go to the recruitment event.  I'll wait to see whether I'll still get other offers. 

Hello all

I have an acceptance at Davis as well - wondering if anyone knows what the funding situation could be? I've been searching on these boards for anything from previous Davis students to see what kind of package they might offer. Has anyone seen anything? 

I also recieved an acceptance from Davis and am also awaiting more information on funding. I'm very stoked to get this offer. This is my second year applying. It's been hard work. Hopefully it is a sign that a few more are on the way! :) Good luck everyone!

I also recieved an acceptance from Davis and am also awaiting more information on funding. I'm very stoked to get this offer. This is my second year applying. It's been hard work. Hopefully it is a sign that a few more are on the way! :) Good luck everyone!

Their website says they don't guarantee funding so I'm not expecting much. If it turns out it's funded, I'll be pretty stoked.

Can someone give details on the CU Boulder interview? I wasn't expecting anything from them so early, but I see that it was just added to the results....so of course, freaking out a little bit. 

Edited by ChicagoHusker

ChicagoHusker... I got the Boulder interview. It surprised me a bit because I didn't know they did interviews. It was an impersonal email requesting phone and skype contact info. 

Thanks so much! I'm not sure that my research interests are a great fit for CU Boulder but I applied for location and a specific faculty member I met at a conference a few years ago. We will see.

All you need is 1 "accept" right?  Fingers crossed mine will be here soon so I can get off this site for more than 2 hours at a time. 

Seriously, though, congrats on your interview! I wish more departments did them in Soc.

ChicagoHusker- Thanks. Good luck to you. Location is very important to me too. We can't get any snow in California anymore so I figured I'd just go to grad school in CO so my snowboard could finally see some action!

I also claim one of the UT-Austin acceptances. So excited!! I received an email from the director of graduate studies. Five year funding, with TA Stipend and COLA fellowship. Hopefully this is the first of more good news to come!

Congrats, SocApp!  I received a very similar email from Rob Crosnoe. Hope to see you at recruitment weekend.

Edited by inwhatway

For those who were accepted to UNC, are you doing the recruitment weekend on Feb. 28th - Mar. 1st? Have you already booked your flight or received a packet?

I don't know if I can go. I already accepted to go to Ohio State's recruitment that same weekend and they offered to pay more of the ticket. Do you think I could try to schedule with UNC to come another weekend or maybe during the week? I'm sure they wouldn't mind if I came to campus, but I'm wondering if they would still house me with a grad student during the week.

So far I've only heard back from Ohio State and UNC, waiting on quite a few more. 

Good luck everyone!

I don't know if I can go. I already accepted to go to Ohio State's recruitment that same weekend and they offered to pay more of the ticket. Do you think I could try to schedule with UNC to come another weekend or maybe during the week? I'm sure they wouldn't mind if I came to campus, but I'm wondering if they would still house me with a grad student during the week.

So far I've only heard back from Ohio State and UNC, waiting on quite a few more. 

Good luck everyone!

Last year I had two visits that conflicted, and the other school arranged for me to come another day, and I set up my own meetings with professors and grad students and such.  They still gave me the full visit stipend.  It wasn't UNC or Ohio State, but I'm sure they'd work with you :)