Fall 2014 Sociology Interviews and/or Acceptances

Maleficent999

I got accepted to University of Florida today, funding for four years. This is my alma mater and the one the program that invited me to visit earlier this month (and which is did go visit). However, someone that also visited those days got a rejection last week, so I guess it's true they hadn't 100% decided yet. (I think that's unfortunate... we got along well, and the program implied that we were all fairly likely to get in. Oh well.)

At the time this was due (Dec 1) I also sent in an application to the Women's Studies MA program, but that wasn't due until January 15 and now today they emailed me saying I'm missing some documents. I'm unsure if I should finish the application, or withdraw it? I heard that this program actually does offer some funding, but it would be silly to turn down a PhD program for a terminal MA (there is no Women's Studies doctoral program here), right? ...Actually, I think I answered my own question. I should probably just withdraw it and give other people a chance.

Besides, all the professors I'm interested in are affiliated with both sociology AND women's studies, so sociology should be fine. (As much as a love our Women's Studies department... I can get a grad certificate in women's studies and/or take elective classes in women's studies.)

Anyway, I'm excited I got in somewhere! It might not be high-ranked program or anything, but I'll still be happy even if this ends up being my only acceptance.

Edited by meowth

Turbodream: are you saying your interview request was impersonal in the way of a mass email? Did you get invited to a visit weekend?

Ya... it was a mass email message. Nothing about a visit weekend yet. Have you heard anything from them? 

i will claim the interview at rutgers. it was from a poi and it seemed rather unofficial.... he said that they had narrowed down the applicants to a short list and were in the process of deciding admissions and funding. no where in the email did he explain why he wanted to interview me other than to make sure i was still interested in the program. MEANING-- don't be worried if you haven't received anything. I think this email was his independent move. ALSO i should say, from looking at previous years on this site, rutgers seems to have accepted students they didn't interview. or at least, the number of students reporting interviews does not match the number of students accepted. so don't lose hope! i'm sure trying not to. my interveiw with him is scheduled for this sunday so presumably rutgers will be sending out their decisions as early as next week.

Hello everyone! I claim one of the Rutgers interviews. Laminated, I was wondering if you have any idea of how many candidates they will be interviewing? Also, how did it go?

Congrats curiouslyoptimistic!

Did anybody else see the Princeton/Stanford-accept + MIT-invite person? It doesn't surprise me with these stats.

I have three thoughts though:

1. CONGRATULATIONS! That is a nice score and application record! :)

2. How do you score perfect on Q and V and "only" a 4.5 on AW (which is supposedly the most learnable part)? ^_^

3. Now that you "have" to decided, when is the interview or are you already going for one of the acceptances - either way, some waitlisted person might be very thankful for your impressive feat! :D

I'll also claim a University of Arizona acceptance. First acceptance of the season. Its a home-run of a program. I have a background in Comparative Historical Analysis methods studying organizational and social movements. Extremely excited to hear more about the program.

Edited by Sociolite

Curiouslyoptimistic:

I see you are on the waitlist at Minnesota.  I didn't see a waitlist on the results page, but I might have just missed it.  Do you mind disclosing when and how you heard you were on the waitlist?  I'm holding onto a dim hope that they haven't yet contacted all the acceptances and waitlists because there are only four acceptances reported, but I'm too scared to just call and ask.  I would appreciate any information you want to disclose.

Thanks so much!

No problem Bocc.

I emailed them early this week and they said they had made offers, but might make more offers come mid-Feb. - So not explicitly a "waitlist" as such, but still some slight hope for those who haven't heard anything.

I can claim one! Really was not expecting it so early. I had to read the email several times to make sure it was from the school I thought it was. 

Congrats!  And I echo Maleficent...details please dysphoriablues!  Another school high on my list. 

I can claim one! Really was not expecting it so early. I had to read the email several times to make sure it was from the school I thought it was. 

I got one too! I really like the professors' research there. I didn't see anything about any recruitment visit time, did you?

Thanks everyone! I got an email from Emmanuel Dela Paz at 10:30 this morning with a congratulations of admissions and funding TBA .. then got another email around noon giving details about visit dates. Excited since I'm already living in the area. Hopefully the rest of ya'll will hear good news soon!