Application Anxiety Thread

Application Anxiety  

155 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate your anxiety about applications?

• 1 - What anxiety?
    • 2 - Maybe a little nervous, but nothing much.
    • 3 - Yeah, I'm pretty anxious about this.
    • 4 - I'm really anxious!!!
    • 5 - I'm freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, the transcript I had to send was pretty cheap (like $10 or under), so I didn't mind that much.

I feel like it's total luck when it comes to that.  I had a bunch of schools that didn't require anything extra, which was awesome.  From what I remember, Purdue was the only one that asked for additional transcripts.  I know I wouldn't have liked the CSDCAS system as much if all of my schools required me to spend extra money.  A few did, but I liked how convenient it was to only have to fill out one major app for 7 of 9 schools.

Yeah, transcript at my school is $12.00.  But, i thought it is a waste of money since all my other schools that don't use CSDCAS required double transcripts.  One for the graduate school and one for the communication disorders department which i think that is nonsense.

Yeah, transcript at my school is $12.00.  But, i thought it is a waste of money since all my other schools that don't use CSDCAS required double transcripts.  One for the graduate school and one for the communication disorders department which i think that is nonsense.

Yeah, that is pretty ridiculous!  You would think they could share, like good little kindergarteners. ;)

Congratulations!!!! :) :) :) It actually sounds like all your majors and minors, while out of field, will be super applicable to speech pathology - it may not feel like it, but you actually have an awesome background. Hearing back from anyone who has gotten into a school actually makes me feel less anxious (annoyed that I won't be hearing back until March, yes, but less anxious), so thanks for the update! If you don't mind my asking, what are your stats?

Thank you!! I don't mind sharing - my undergraduate GPA is a 3.669 and I'm a senior at Duke (they don't calculate major GPAs for us). On the GRE I got a 160 Verbal, 154 Quantitative and 4.5 Writing. I took it this past summer without studying and then took it again this past November WITH studying, but I did worse the second time around (stayed the same in quantitative, went down in verbal . . . the GRE is seriously so stupid). I think my letters of recommendation and personal statement weighed heavily on everything, though!

Good luck!!

Did you apply to any schools that didn't use the CSDCAS application? Believe it or not (and I didn't purposefully do this) not a single one of mine did. They were all school-specific apps.

I don't know how CSDCAS works (because as I said, I didn't use it myself), but FSU was pretty flexible with me not having transcripts. Maybe send an unofficial copy of your transcript for review purposes to your schools, explaining and apologizing for the CSDCAS problems. That way they can have something to look at until your transcript is complete, and you can use the opportunity to express how interested you are in their specific program. :)

Yeah I applied to Brooklyn College, Touro College, Mercy College, SUNY Plattsburgh, Marywood University, Kean University, and St. John's University.

Most of the CSDCAS schools I picked were in NJ around NY so I'm not as disappointed if I passed the deadline but still $245 is a lot of money but honestly I expected this season would drain every dime in my bank account so I'm not sweating it as much. The other schools I mentioned, I pray to get into or get on the waiting list. You saved yourself a lot of anger and frustration by not applying to CSDCAS schools..lol

I think there is one school that's a tad lenient than the other schools about transcript submission. But I wont let it get to me, if worst comes to worst, I will know the ins and outs of application season next year.

I am in the same situation, and I am getting really upset with this nonsense. What is the purpose of applying to CSDCAS then if your information has to wait four weeks to be confirmed. I have missed two deadlines myself and I not at all pleased.

Oh Boy, don't even get me started. I'm not sure how CSDCAS works by scanning everything in but they should consider an extension because of the weather. God only knows how many times the office closed because of the snow storm. I live in the northeast and we've been having snow storms left and right, it slows down everything. Honestly, I know its not CSDCAS's fault but there are other schools that have processed applications so much faster like the CUNYs (e.g Brooklyn College). I'm just upset that it takes them this long to process or scan a transcript. It's literally about to be a month since I sent out that transcript, but I will keep my zen on and promote positivity in these stressful times..loll I will pray to the CSDCAS gods for you too...lmaoo (*for anyone offended by that statement, I'm a Catholic too just lightening up the mood, sorry in advance)

I know that this post isn't going to be popular, but the CSDCAS website clearly states that during peak periods they can take 4+ weeks to process application materials.  I really don't think it's CSDCAS's fault if you didn't adhere to their timeline.  Their website has been open for the 2014 application season since September, making it easy to ensure that your transcripts, GRE scores, etc were received in time.

Sayjo, I totally understand what your saying. I was full aware that it took 4 weeks to process, but I just can't help but compare the quality of service that some graduate schools have than others. I don't know what Brooklyn College does but they confirmed with me everything was received by website and by phone (idk maybe it was the documentation sheet that helped them) but still CSDCAS goes through this whole process, it's mentally draining and financially draining.

I know CSDCAS didn't do anything wrong, Iz justa venting out some anxiety..loll. It is an anxiety thread after all ;)

Edited by LDadvocate

I'm sorry to hear everyone had such trouble with CSDCAS.  I was actually pretty pleased with the way it worked for me.  It cut down the number of LORs I had to ask for since I sent the same application to multiple schools.  For me, the biggest problem was the price, especially with the schools' supplemental applications on top.  I wish they would have waived their graduate application fee for those who used CSDCAS.  This application process has been really expensive, and I really hope I don't have to do it again in the spring!  But overall, my biggest headaches came from my LOR writers and the schools that didn't use CSDCAS.

For me, the biggest problem was the price, especially with the schools' supplemental applications on top.  I wish they would have waived their graduate application fee for those who used CSDCAS.  

Agreed! Other than that and the slow processing time, I did like using CSDCAS. 

HOORAY! CSDCAS finally verified the app. One less site to refresh.

Of course, the GRE scores still haven't gotten to USM or FHSU, despite being sent back in the third week of January. Still waiting for ETS to respond to that email.

I did not use CSDCAS at all. SOP was well over 500 words. That CSCDAS seemed like more work.

I had a 600+ word LOI for the first school I applied to and I regret it...I think most schools like seeing 500, maximum 600, words. What do you think? 

Edited by DeafAudi

I had a 600+ word LOI for the first school I applied to and I regret it...I think most schools like seeing 500, maximum 600, words. What do you think?

Mines was about 813 words. I think 2 pages is what is considered ok anything pass that is excessive.

Mines was about 813 words. I think 2 pages is what is considered ok anything pass that is excessive.

I agree! Mine was about 750 and two pages, I didn't think it was a big deal.

Whoa now I feel like I made my SOP way too long.. 3 pages and almost 890 words.  I thought 2-3 pages was ok and then couldn't help but go towards the longer end of it, I hope that doesn't come off across as too obnoxious  :mellow:

Well, I noticed you are applying to the same CUNYs I am - Brooklyn was pretty lax regarding their word count, however Lehman and Queens both required a 500-word SOP. Super annoying.

My CSDCAS SOP was literally the max amount of characters allotted (which translated to ~3 whole pages double-spaced), so yeah.

Edited by ehemingway

I just received an e-mail saying that I made it to the interview round at Boston University!!!! I can't even describe the weight that has been lifted off of my shoulders! I hope that you all receive good news in the near future!

...sorry for the exclamation point overload  :rolleyes:

Edited by argslp

I just received an e-mail saying that I made it to the interview round at Boston University!!!! I can't even describe the weight that has been lifted off of my shoulders! I hope that you all receive good news in the near future!

...sorry for the exclamation point overload  :rolleyes:

Me too!  Could not be more excited.  Now to see if I can actually make the trip...

Yikes...I hope you guys are all wrong because I wrote 1300 words for my FSU letter of intent. They said there was an 8000 character cap, so I wrote 7600 characters. Oops...

I'm sure that is fine!  :) I'm used to shorter essays because I applied to Canadian schools last year and they all wanted 500 or less. It really depends on each school and their preferences and if they wanted shorter essays I think they would say so.

Edited by DeafAudi

I'm sure that is fine!  :) I'm used to shorter essays because I applied to Canadian schools last year and they all wanted 500 or less. It really depends on each school and their preferences and if they wanted shorter essays I think they would say so.

That's crazy, even my professor commented that anything less than 500 words was absurd. St. John's required a 300 word essay, it was like "Hi, my name is so and so and.... I did this and that...and undertaking graduate study will..."..the minute you look at the word count in your bottom tab, you start to freak out, and imagine saying to the committee, "But waitttttt!! there's so much MORE to say, please don't do this to me"..loll

But then I thought (and not to freak everyone out) a short concise essay would probably be best because if they receive X number of applications and they need to review each one, reading each essay would take a huge chunk of time out of the committee's day, especially if they're tight on time (lecturing classes, tending to current grad students, maybe facilitating their own private practice) IDK I really don't but if the committee has all but a couple of days, they probably want to make it quick and painless not realizing their haste decision affects everyone's future. But like I said in another post, whose to know what they really look for.

Hey Smartypants14. I see that you received a decision from California State University, Long Beach. I am sorry it was not the best news, but I know you will be hearing good news from other schools. How and where did you see that decision posted? Did you contact the school or receive an email? Thank you.

You know how they say a watched pot never boils? I'm beginning to think that could be applied to status checkers, too...

Unfortunately, three of my schools don't even have status checkers, at least not ones that have spots to announce admissions decisions. So all I can do with them is wait...

I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't just stop thinking about it altogether - then I'm sure the time prior to hearing back would pass quite quickly.

Edited by autismadvocate

Hey, everyone! New lurker-turned-poster here!

I've been driving everyone around me crazy with my stress and anxiety about grad school, so I figured it was about time I commiserated with people who'll understand  :)

As far as the current conversation, I swore I wouldn't check my status anywhere until after Valentine's Day, just to give myself time to recoop after application time. Hasn't worked at all though... I just can't bear waiting until March. I'm losing it...