Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

Shadowclaw, is there anything you can do about that? Or is it not worth it to confront him at this point?

Even if I had called him out on it back when he got that internship, I doubt it would have made a difference and I'm sure mutual friends and acquaintances would have said I was the jerk if he lost the position over it.

It's definitely not worth it now. He is apparently good at his job and I don't really want to try to screw up his life. Taking credit for my work was probably one of the only positive aspects of his resume. His GPA was on the low side (3.2ish) and he had zero research experience aside from that project. Calling it research is really stretching it. We were really just collecting data for a state agency, and had the option of using the data for our senior projects. He chose to, but then didn't actually do anything with the data. He just kind of reported some descriptive info and when a faulty member asked him some questions about the project, he gave some bs responses.

I'm getting off topic here. It's turning into a rant about how my peers sucked at research. I don't want to confront him about it, it just annoys the hell out of me that someone out there is successful because of me and I don't get credit. Kind of like someone on here posted about how they helped a friend write a book, and they enjoyed doing it and wrote several chapters. When it was published, they didn't so much as get mentioned in the acknowledgement.

Leaving this job is not unlike breaking up with a boyfriend.  One second I'm like "No! I can't believe I ever wanted to leave! I love it here!" And the next second I'm like "Stupid job. Good riddance!  The day I accepted my grad school offer was the best day of my life."

2 years into my PhD and I still feel this way!  Some days I'm so thankful I'm here and not at my old job, and other days I wish I just stayed there.  (Also, the "new" people I trained when I was working have since gotten substantial promotions at that company...meanwhile I am a student). 

But... today is a good day so I am fine with it!

2 years into my PhD and I still feel this way!  Some days I'm so thankful I'm here and not at my old job, and other days I wish I just stayed there.  (Also, the "new" people I trained when I was working have since gotten substantial promotions at that company...meanwhile I am a student). 

But... today is a good day so I am fine with it!

So this will last for a while... I'll be attending a program within walking distance of where I work now.  So I'll have to have self control. Hopefully when I see my (then) former coworkers, I wont grab them and beg them to take me with them, haha!

I've had it with spiders falling on me when I'm in my car!

( ゚д゚)

Well, now I have a new thing to worry about when my SO's driving our newly-repaired car. He hates spiders.

( ゚д゚)

Well, now I have a new thing to worry about when my SO's driving our newly-repaired car. He hates spiders.

On the bright side, I learned I can operate my vehicle from the passenger seat. Maybe that's a skill you guys can learn, too! Jk... I hope you don't have to. And I hear Peppermint oil keeps them away.

I HAD THIS PROBLEM TOO! I live in a fairly wooded area and my friend noticed little spiders crawling on my side view mirrors... then they appeared inside my car. Panic attack.

this is anonymous.  okay.

I broke my toe and skinned my knee and found out I am pregnant.  i'm in the middle of demo-ing my house. I haven't had inside walls since January.

Edited by OneMoreDegree

Well, now that summer is approaching, for those living in the midwest/east coast, guess what that means with increasing humidity indoors (if you decide to save electricity bills by cutting down your AC use)?

COCKROACH INVASION...

Things reviewers do- write the same "see note on workpaper XXX" for the rest of the workpapers in the series.  Ok, got it.  I'm really not stupid. But I've had three people review my work and their review notes are inconsistent.  One wants me to do the exact opposite of the other.  And it isn't worth fighting over, but I really wish I'd know which reviewer to cater to before the fact.

@shadowclaw:

I understand the annoyance when someone isn't honest about their accomplishments, even if their dishonesty won't affect you. A guy in my graduating class refers to himself as "class valedictorian" on his LinkedIn page, and presumably his resume/CV as well, even though he was only first in the business program, not first in the class. I know because I actually was first in the class overall, and there was no tie. It's a different situation since it's not someone using my work as theirs; it's just a case of someone using a title they didn't earn. 

if you're moving to florida like i saw elsewhere in the forum (i sound like a massive creep), you might as well start naming them and buying them lunch from time to time! consider them your new, roach-eating besties.

seriously though, it's always gross. i hate hate HATE when they pop up on me after a long day of work. just waiting on my car door handle.

if you're moving to florida like i saw elsewhere in the forum (i sound like a massive creep), you might as well start naming them and buying them lunch from time to time! consider them your new, roach-eating besties.

seriously though, it's always gross. i hate hate HATE when they pop up on me after a long day of work. just waiting on my car door handle.

Florida spiders are the scariest.  I can't tell you how many times I've ridden my horse through woods and run smack into a huge banana spider web...

But, they keep other bugs away, so I tolerate them.

It probably doesn't compare, but I tried to let a spider I saw remain in my apartment. It was a combination of laziness and thinking maybe it would eat other bugs.

But then it was crawling on the wall by my bed as I was about to go to sleep. I cannot abide that, my creepy crawly friend.

And then there was the one that surprised me in the shower. I can't see without my glasses on so I thought it was just a clump of hair. But oh no...

I had a spider at my old apartment who lived in my bathroom vent.  I tried killing it a couple of times, but then stopped because it always stayed up there and hid in the vent when I tried to get it, and I was afraid of it falling on me when I tried to kill it. 
I'm not particularly afraid of spiders though.  I have caught a couple in a glass jar once, and the bigger one ate the smaller one.  Then I killed the bigger one because it was a brown recluse.  I hate killing anything though, so I usually leave things alone unless they are bothering me.  The exception being cockroaches and ticks.  I'll kill those suckers in a heartbeat.

I'm petrified of them. I will legitimately sponge bathe in the kitchen if one is in my shower. I ran into a banana spider web (complete with an inhabitant the size of a mouse) when I lived in Hawaii. Horrifying. Still have PTSD about that. It's just funny because snakes, cockroaches don't even bother me. I used to want to be an entomologist til I learned that, professionally, they mainly work on ways to kill insects.

You want a spider horror story? Approximately 2 nights ago:

I had just turned off the lights and slipped into bed, excited that I was going to get a whole 8 hours of sleep before work. My sleep habits are pretty awful (thanks college) and thus I usually don't get that much sleep. To celebrate, I decided to sing a song that's been stuck in my head recently - You and Me (but mostly me) from The Book of Mormon (I just saw it, would highly recommend!).

As I stared into the blackness singing about something "incredible" (listen to the song), I noticed a part of my eyesight that was *darker* than the surrounding area. As the words "what in the hell...?" came to my lips, I felt... wait... is that... A SPIDER ON MY LIPS?!?!

Commence Freak Out in 3...2...1...

Immediate Spitting Start.

I sprinted to the light switch, crammed my glasses onto my panicked face and went to survey the damage. Besides all the spit everywhere, I noticed not one... not two... but three giant ass spiders on my pillow + surrounding area. Based on this, I surmised that the three spiders were descending together, trying to land gracefully. One was positioned directly above my eye, another my mouth, and the third... I didn't care to find out.

Needless to say, I didn't feel very comfortable sleeping in that same spot and spent the next 30 minutes moving my bed to the middle of the room under solid ceiling.

How many hours of sleep did I get that night, you ask? Let's not talk about that...

I'm honestly not that afraid of spiders (I put the three spiders on a piece of paper and released them outside), but that legitimately scared the hell out of me.

@shadowclaw:

I understand the annoyance when someone isn't honest about their accomplishments, even if their dishonesty won't affect you. A guy in my graduating class refers to himself as "class valedictorian" on his LinkedIn page, and presumably his resume/CV as well, even though he was only first in the business program, not first in the class. I know because I actually was first in the class overall, and there was no tie. It's a different situation since it's not someone using my work as theirs; it's just a case of someone using a title they didn't earn.

That's annoying. Super annoying.

I have a great spider story. My best friend is terrified of spiders. One day we were in the kitchen and her cat kept batting at her feet and acting strangely. At some point I looked down and the biggest spider I've ever seen was on her shoes. It was about the size of my palm. I told her not to move a muscle, and of course she looked down and saw it as it scurried off her foot. She made an incredible sound, jumped over it, ran into the living room and stripped naked while screaming "it laid eggs!" Eventually she decided it didn't lay eggs, put new clothes on, and we captured it in a Tupperware container and walked about half a mile away and tossed it into the woods.

I had just turned off the lights and slipped into bed, excited that I was going to get a whole 8 hours of sleep before work. My sleep habits are pretty awful (thanks college) and thus I usually don't get that much sleep. To celebrate, I decided to sing a song that's been stuck in my head recently - You and Me (but mostly me) from The Book of Mormon (I just saw it, would highly recommend!).

As I stared into the blackness singing about something "incredible" (listen to the song), I noticed a part of my eyesight that was *darker* than the surrounding area. As the words "what in the hell...?" came to my lips, I felt... wait... is that... A SPIDER ON MY LIPS?!?!

I sprinted to the light switch, crammed my glasses onto my panicked face and went to survey the damage. Besides all the spit everywhere, I noticed not one... not two... but three giant ass spiders on my pillow + surrounding area. Based on this, I surmised that the three spiders were descending together, trying to land gracefully. One was positioned directly above my eye, another my mouth, and the third... I didn't care to find out.

Needless to say, I didn't feel very comfortable sleeping in that same spot and spent the next 30 minutes moving my bed to the middle of the room under solid ceiling.

How many hours of sleep did I get that night, you ask? Let's not talk about that...

I'm honestly not that afraid of spiders (I put the three spiders on a piece of paper and released them outside), but that legitimately scared the hell out of me.

If that happened to me, I'd be sitting here thinking of what to tell my husband when he saw that I burned the house down. Holy cow. That is terrifying. I'm glad you survived it, though.

That's annoying. Super annoying.

I have a great spider story. My best friend is terrified of spiders. One day we were in the kitchen and her cat kept batting at her feet and acting strangely. At some point I looked down and the biggest spider I've ever seen was on her shoes. It was about the size of my palm. I told her not to move a muscle, and of course she looked down and saw it as it scurried off her foot. She made an incredible sound, jumped over it, ran into the living room and stripped naked while screaming "it laid eggs!" Eventually she decided it didn't lay eggs, put new clothes on, and we captured it in a Tupperware container and walked about half a mile away and tossed it into the woods.

Any time someone says, "don't move," you know it's going to be bad. Lol

This has become one of the longest chains about spiders. Personally as long as they aren't poisonous or in my food - I leave them alone since they keep the flies away. Overall ignorance is bliss - I know they're around but as long as I don't see them I assume they aren't there.

I had just turned off the lights and slipped into bed, excited that I was going to get a whole 8 hours of sleep before work. My sleep habits are pretty awful (thanks college) and thus I usually don't get that much sleep. To celebrate, I decided to sing a song that's been stuck in my head recently - You and Me (but mostly me) from The Book of Mormon (I just saw it, would highly recommend!).

As a teenager, I was convinced if a spider crawled on my face while I was sleeping, its leg would get stuck in my braces and I'd have a flailing, pissed off, injured spider stuck to my teeth.

It was so bad I would wake up panicking that I had drifted off. My mother is a nurse and she brilliantly solved the problem--she brought home surgical masks and I slept wearing one every single night I had braces on after that.

You pretty much just validated my entire teenaged fear of a spider even making it to my braces in my sleep.