Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

On the bright side, I learned I can operate my vehicle from the passenger seat. Maybe that's a skill you guys can learn, too! Jk... I hope you don't have to. And I hear Peppermint oil keeps them away.

I would love to see a video of this...

Oh my word. These spider stories. I'm usually the one who rounds up spiders/house centipedes/beetles/bees/other arthropods and puts them outside, but man, I don't know if I could deal with some of these situations.

My most hated insect is the dreaded tent caterpillar. We had a bad year for them in the San Juan islands (where I spend my summers) a couple years ago, and it was terrible. Caterpillars falling out of trees, crawling up your pant legs, making the apple orchards gross to be in. Ugh. I used to carry an umbrella around to try to keep them off me.

Personally, I attract rats more than I attract spiders.

One night heard some critters scratching the ceiling. That's not uncommon, but I couldn't help but listening. At some point I heard a slight thump, and the scratching was gone. Slowly, I let my hand slide towards my flashlight and turned it on. There it was, the rat, in my bed right next to my head. Needless to say that I spent the rest of the night in another room with the lights on.

I am now living somewhere with very few critters. It took me a long time to get used to the white/empty/blank walls, but now I fully appreciate the peace of this place. :)

Brown recluse in my house today. Currently at the vet with my cat because she killed it and may have gotten bit. I'm so done with life lol

Is your cat okay?

At some point I heard a slight thump, and the scratching was gone. Slowly, I let my hand slide towards my flashlight and turned it on. There it was, the rat, in my bed right next to my head. Needless to say that I spent the rest of the night in another room with the lights on.

If this happened to me I honestly think I would either come close to or actually piss myself

this is anonymous.  okay.

I broke my toe and skinned my knee and found out I am pregnant.  i'm in the middle of demo-ing my house. I haven't had inside walls since January.

Wowza, I can definitely see how you'd be overwhelmed by all that. Good luck on everything, and I hope the pregnancy is good news -- if so, congratulations!! 

I emailed my professor this morning asking about a paper that I'd turned in a week ago and for which everyone else in the class had already received commentary and grades five days ago. He emailed me saying "I'm an idiot. I wrote your evaluation first and simply forgot to send it to you!" Facepalm. And here I was worrying that it was so bad he was putting off sending it to me so that we could have a talk about it ... so relieved!

Wowza, I can definitely see how you'd be overwhelmed by all that. Good luck on everything, and I hope the pregnancy is good news -- if so, congratulations!! 

Thanks. It's not NOT a good thing. It's just that in the last year, I've quit a job, got married, bought a house that we've completely gutted while living in (no kitchen for the first month of marriage--done!), moved states, started a new job in a new field, got accepted to a phd program, and found myself knocked up. 

but, what's life if not crazy... right?

I was admitted to a great program in my field, and I loved it. I loved the area, the facilities, the faculty, the experiences it offered, and even the current students.

I had to turn it down because it was $20,000 more than a good in-state school I was admitted to. I'm in a professional master's program (speech-language pathology) so funding doesn't really happen except for one or two students per program, and which school you graduate from doesn't affect your job prospects or even your salary. The school I decided to go to is a good compromise between cost and what I want. It'll still offer me a great education, and it even has some opportunities the expensive school doesn't. But I still can't stop wishing I was going to that first school. The program director at that first school called me and asked me if there was anything she could do to get me back at the school, and offered to keep an eye out for any financial support. She agreed with my decision, but still said there was something she wished she could offer me.

I feel fortunate I do have an alternate option which will be great, and I know I'll wind up happy there, but I really wish I could have gone to that first school, and I hate that cost was the deciding factor. I keep thinking about it, hence the complaining. Even my professors agree that that school would be great to attend and they wish I could, but also agree that I should follow the money. :\ 

Long story short: Money sucks, and higher education is so expensive.

I was admitted to a great program in my field, and I loved it. I loved the area, the facilities, the faculty, the experiences it offered, and even the current students.

I had to turn it down because it was $20,000 more than a good in-state school I was admitted to. I'm in a professional master's program (speech-language pathology) so funding doesn't really happen except for one or two students per program, and which school you graduate from doesn't affect your job prospects or even your salary. The school I decided to go to is a good compromise between cost and what I want. It'll still offer me a great education, and it even has some opportunities the expensive school doesn't. But I still can't stop wishing I was going to that first school. The program director at that first school called me and asked me if there was anything she could do to get me back at the school, and offered to keep an eye out for any financial support. She agreed with my decision, but still said there was something she wished she could offer me.

I feel fortunate I do have an alternate option which will be great, and I know I'll wind up happy there, but I really wish I could have gone to that first school, and I hate that cost was the deciding factor. I keep thinking about it, hence the complaining. Even my professors agree that that school would be great to attend and they wish I could, but also agree that I should follow the money. :\ 

Long story short: Money sucks, and higher education is so expensive.

I am so sorry this happened! At least the program director from the first school understands your situation and is still keeping an eye out for you. One of the oddest pieces of advice that I received was to follow the money, which was so odd considering everyone told me for undergrad to "go where I wanted" and that "money was not a factor." Money does suck, no doubt about it. I hope good things happen for you at the second school as well!

At least you have a very good chance of keeping connected to that first school - so maybe in the future something good will come of those connections! 

Also, stupid #$*%$ Excel!  I've been working on something all day, which I thought I saved several times, but none of them "took"   This has happened before and our IT guy says he will get me a new computer (which I'm trying to put off until I leave so they won't buy new stuff for someone who isn't going to be here in three months)  It even said "do you want to save Excel Docx 1" and I clicked yes right before I closed.  And it isn't interesting or easy work that got lost either.  It is detail work that takes time and brains to do right and at the end of the day you are tired and can't think anymore.  

Time to go home before I throw the computer out the window.   I'm too mad to get anything else done today.

another thing that annoyed the shit out of me was when this coworker of mine telling me how poor he is and that he doesn't have any extra money (not even 10 dollars) to spare to buy a gift for our collaborator from another lab who was graduating. Not to mention, he was bragging to people that all his nuclear family members are medical doctors. 

Some people are just unbelievable, and you wondering why I'm always so pissed off on this site because the people I have to deal with on a daily basis  <_<

Edited by Quantum Buckyball

Sometimes I wish I could just tell people that I'm a chemist instead of I'm a _____ (insert your division or specialty) chemist

My MS is chemistry with a biochemistry concentration. Chemists tell me all the time I'm not a chemist I'm a biologists, and biologists tell me I'm not a biologists I'm a chemist.

I still think I'm halfway in between and appreciate PhD programs that classify it as its on department. I get irritated in biology talks when they gloss over instrumentation and I get irritated when chemists gloss over organism's systems. You need both to fully explain the topics!

Edited by BiochemMom

Thanks. It's not NOT a good thing. It's just that in the last year, I've quit a job, got married, bought a house that we've completely gutted while living in (no kitchen for the first month of marriage--done!), moved states, started a new job in a new field, got accepted to a phd program, and found myself knocked up. 

but, what's life if not crazy... right?

Wow.  What a year!!  Congratulations.

My MS is chemistry with a biochemistry concentration. Chemists tell me all the time I'm not a chemist I'm a biologists, and biologists tell me I'm not a biologists I'm a chemist.

I still think I'm halfway in between and appreciate PhD programs that classify it as its on department. I get irritated in biology talks when they gloss over instrumentation and I get irritated when chemists gloss over organism's systems. You need both to fully explain the topics!

I do biophysics which really similar. I am definitely not a biologist (I've had 2 bio classes ever...) but physicists definitely don't accept me as one of them. To make it more confusing, my undergrad is in applied math. My current advisor is a physical chemist. I don't belong in any field! The department I am going into is a biochemistry and biophysics department so all of us fieldless people are put together!

I do biophysics which really similar. I am definitely not a biologist (I've had 2 bio classes ever...) but physicists definitely don't accept me as one of them. To make it more confusing, my undergrad is in applied math. My current advisor is a physical chemist. I don't belong in any field! The department I am going into is a biochemistry and biophysics department so all of us fieldless people are put together!

My advisor for my MS is a biophysical chemist who does solid state NMR of amyloid proteins.

My PhD rotations will be in an in cell NMR lab, an X-ray crystallography lab, and my last one in an NMR and X-ray lab all for protein structure. My MS thesis project was NMR metabolomics.

I was originally a physics major, chemistry minor, with all electives in biology for med school. Then I realized I didn't want to do med school, didn't love upper level physics classes (did fine in them--I'm good at calculus, just didn't care about learning about space enough or string theory) so I switched to biochem. I'm not a traditional biochemist in the sense I'm interested in mechanisms in the body of organisms--I like using chemistry to learn more about biological organisms. So apparently I still want to do it all with protein structure.

• 2 weeks later...

1. I happily made my schedule early in May.

2. Today, I received an email from my program saying that they want us to take only the core classes for our first semester.What.the.hell?  (their website said nothing about that).

3. Goes in to totally edit my schedule, and there's not shit left now. Someone kill me, please.

4. Now I have a shitty schedule where I have classes 2 classes from  5pm-9pm on Mondays and  2 classes from 5pm-9pm on Wednesdays.

The good news is that I only have to go to campus only twice a week now...but those times though. It's pretty much going to be a semester worth of late night dinners on those days...

Edited by Guest

1. I happily made my schedule early in May.

2. Today, I received an email from my program saying that they want us to take only the core classes for our first semester.What.the.hell?  (their website said nothing about that).

3. Goes in to totally edit my schedule, and there's not shit left now. Someone kill me, please.

4. Now I have a shitty schedule where I have classes 2 classes from  5pm-9pm on Mondays and  2 classes from 5pm-9pm on Wednesdays.

The good news is that I only have to go to campus only twice a week now...but those times though. It's pretty much going to be a semester worth of late night dinners on those days...

I like to plan my schedule way ahead of time, so I know how that feels. I'm sorry, but the upside definitely is that you don't have to go back and forth to campus as much. Staying up late to just be in class is never fun. I have the same deal on Mondays and Tuesdays but only because night classes are the norm where I'll go. We can do it! 

All of my friends are getting married, and I'm just sitting here.  And one of my friends/close acquaintances came back from a month long trip yesterday, and I just realized how awesome he is.  Funny, very easy to talk to, and extremely intelligent.  And he is a post-doc, so he knows what a Ph.D program is like.  But I don't even want to think about dating right now because starting a relationship during the first semester of a Ph.D program sounds like a recipe for disaster. 

It's just... all my friends are doing it. *whine*  Yes, I'd probably jump off a cliff if all my friends did it too.  They are very intelligent people, if they jumped off a cliff, something terrible would have to be chasing them.

I felt the same way when all my cousins near my age were getting married, so I almost married the wrong person. Then I realized all my cousins were smart enough to marry people who really loved, cared and respected for them and I deserve nothing less. Also, I began questioning the institution of marriage, but that's another story.