Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

Introvert thoughts:  Can someone die from too much exposure to people?

But the wedding is over.  And I just want to cry right now, for no good reason.  I'mma curl up and cuddle with my cat.  He's super clingy because I've been gone for almost three days straight and he's used to me being here.

17 hours ago, Cheshire_Cat said:

Introvert thoughts:  Can someone die from too much exposure to people?

But the wedding is over.  And I just want to cry right now, for no good reason.  I'mma curl up and cuddle with my cat.  He's super clingy because I've been gone for almost three days straight and he's used to me being here.

Psshh try being an extrovert that hates everyone. You can't win

Edited by StrongTackleBacarySagna

The fate of my applications are in the hands of professors who procrastinate everything and are leaving my letter of recommendations to the last day. One needs to be mailed and received by Dec. 1st. I've pestered them with so many emails, there's nothing else I can really do. 

Except hope and pray that they do them on time and my applications can be reviewed by December 1st. 

As a control freak, this isn't going over well with me....

The distance is getting to me today in my LDR. The UK to New York sucks, especially when he's this wrapped up in work (and me too tbh). Hopefully only another 10 months until we're in the same country for a long period of time. 

On the plus side, my program is going well :) (always look on the bright side of life...)

But who schedules a meeting for 8pm on a wednesday?! That is training time! I have to cut my training in half to attend a blinking staff meeting. :( 

Edited by piglet33

18 hours ago, Becks_Psych said:

The fate of my applications are in the hands of professors who procrastinate everything

Is there a single prof out here that doesn't procrastinate over everything?

On 11/20/2015, 8:31:22, gingin6789 said:

Also, students in the *other* class I TA for have their exam on December 11th ... I know they'll want to meet with me a week or so before the exam, but I'll be in surgery/recovery during that time. I feel bad because that means they'll have to go to the prof, who is already swamped beyond belief!

First I hope everything goes well.

Have you thought about virtual office hours? I have a class where the Prof. holds office hours by skype. If you feel up for it it maybe an option. 

Mrs./Ms./Miss./etc./etc./etc./etc./or etc.? Ugh. Really, I don't know why this annoys me as much as it does, but: reason #5 for getting a PhD: Dr. That's it kids. Dr. (Okay, it's not a motivating reason at all, obviously, but, nice little added plus).

1 hour ago, haltheincandescent said:

Mrs./Ms./Miss./etc./etc./etc./etc./or etc.? Ugh. Really, I don't know why this annoys me as much as it does, but: reason #5 for getting a PhD: Dr. That's it kids. Dr. (Okay, it's not a motivating reason at all, obviously, but, nice little added plus).

Putting Miss makes me feel so young.  They don't make men put their marital status in their prefix.  It is dumb.

Just now, Cheshire_Cat said:

They don't make men put their marital status in their prefix.  It is dumb.

Yeah, it's called sexism :D. I must admit I'm looking forward to "Dr.", in that sense as well.

3 hours ago, haltheincandescent said:

Another bonus - if you're a Dr. and your partner isn't, your name gets to go first on invitations, greeting cards, etc. So it would be Dr. and Mr. Doe. For some reason I keep reminding my parents of that. Something that always bugged me - why do people address things to Mr. and Mrs. John Smith instead of just Mr. and Mrs. Smith? I don't get the point, unless it's just another archaic way to show that men are more important. I also want to know why some people get cranky when you don't hand write addresses on envelopes. Seriously, the post office would have a much easier time reading it if I print a label. I have terrible handwriting and printing.

Something else annoying - I have two last names. I didn't want to change my name when I got married, but my husband kind of took that as a big F-you, so I compromised and took both. I didn't hyphenate it either, because I don't care for them in names. I understand that people will be confused and make mistakes at first and use only one name or try to hyphenate it. However, there's a small percentage of people who don't seem to care when I correct them and keep addressing me by the wrong name. My landlord is one example - she only uses my second last name. The graduate coordinator of my masters program really botched my name up... he hyphenated and spelled it wrong on many occasions (but I can forgive him - Polish names are spelled weird). 

11 hours ago, TheMonkeyOnMyBack said:

First I hope everything goes well.

Have you thought about virtual office hours? I have a class where the Prof. holds office hours by skype. If you feel up for it it maybe an option. 

Thank you very much!

Yes, I am thinking of either doing office hours over the phone or on-line ... when I'm not under the influence of pain meds, of course!! Thank you for your suggestion!

On 11/21/2015, 8:22:06, haltheincandescent said:

ugh Michigan. you're the only one that wants a paper transcript mailed. you're the only one that limits my SoP to 2 double-spaced pages. You're the only one that requires a separate personal statement. yours is the only app of mine that's not 99% done.

And now, 4 hours after I pick up my transcript, signed and sealed with your special cover sheet included with all my personal info with the exception of the UMID that I don't have yet, you send me my UMID. 

So difficult. Why, why so difficult.

If only your program wasn't wonderfully suited to my interests...........

Thanks for posting this! Your post made me realize that I need to mail my transcript as well. It wasn't so clear on the website when I first looked (months ago) and no other application requires it, so I didn't even think to check again. It's especially annoying for me because I have to post it from abroad. 

I mean I can't guarantee that it will arrive in time....the post office in my country is forever going on strike and generally being incompetent. What a stupid requirement to have, especially because it's an unofficial transcript. At least my university has a service that does this for me, so I'm assuming they're better equipped to deal with the post office here (I am not exaggerating...I don't trust anything to be posted even domestically here).   

On November 21, 2015 at 12:22:06 AM, haltheincandescent said:

ugh Michigan. you're the only one that wants a paper transcript mailed. you're the only one that limits my SoP to 2 double-spaced pages. You're the only one that requires a separate personal statement. yours is the only app of mine that's not 99% done.

And now, 4 hours after I pick up my transcript, signed and sealed with your special cover sheet included with all my personal info with the exception of the UMID that I don't have yet, you send me my UMID. 

So difficult. Why, why so difficult.

If only your program wasn't wonderfully suited to my interests...........

I hear you @haltheincandescent! I was applying for UC Berkeley and they wanted me to do too many things compared to other programs (write an extensive personal statement and history), and then the tipping point was when they wanted me to send in official GRE scores instead of self-reporting (an extra $27). I'm so over it, lol.

But good luck to your Michigan application though. We're here to support you through those little things.

19 hours ago, vonham said:

Thanks for posting this! Your post made me realize that I need to mail my transcript as well. It wasn't so clear on the website when I first looked (months ago) and no other application requires it, so I didn't even think to check again. It's especially annoying for me because I have to post it from abroad. 

I mean I can't guarantee that it will arrive in time....the post office in my country is forever going on strike and generally being incompetent. What a stupid requirement to have, especially because it's an unofficial transcript. At least my university has a service that does this for me, so I'm assuming they're better equipped to deal with the post office here (I am not exaggerating...I don't trust anything to be posted even domestically here).   

I am also sending in transcripts last minute :( Do you think there's a possibility to be disqualified? It seems that they are somewhat lenient as long as they arrive within two weeks after the deadline? 

7 hours ago, japaniia said:

I am also sending in transcripts last minute :( Do you think there's a possibility to be disqualified? It seems that they are somewhat lenient as long as they arrive within two weeks after the deadline? 

Honestly I have no idea, but like....I just don't understand even why the transcripts need to be posted. They need to be uploaded to the application AND posted....why? I mean it's an informal transcript! Anyway I'm assuming if you have it uploaded on the online application it should be fine? Not much I can do about it now if it's not fine 

1 hour ago, EdNeuroGrl said:

Just spent the last 6 days in the hospital. Cause I TOTALLY NEEDED that right now... o_O FML

Did you have a nervous breakdown? I am experiencing one right now I really hope I can relax soon ....