Acceptances/rejections/funding in MTS/M.A./M.Div for 2014??!!

FandT1

Just got the email from Yale. I received about a 90% scholarship offer. Thankfully, I have been accepted to all my schools. Unfortunately, the decision is going to be weighing on my mind for the next four weeks.

I got accepted to Yale but the offer was much lower than I was hoping for. Harvard offered me 100% tuition. I'm surprised to find how torn I am now over what to do. The program at Yale is the best by far but that offer was a big disappointment. The living expenses in New Haven are lower than Cambridge so it would only end up costing me an extra $5000 a year to go to Yale. I'll probably do that I imagine. Trying to keep it in perspective -- so happy to have gotten in both schools!

Edit: spelling.

Edited by george_lit

That sounds like a good plan, Perytion. I'm also going between HDS and UChicago (for Tibetan Buddhist philosophy), but they both offered me the same aid package, so I'm leaning strongly towards Chi-town. It seems that Chicago is, very generally speaking, stronger in Asian religions. I also like the intellectual feel, which happens to suit me personally :)

Had Chicago and HDS offered me the same aid package, I would have gone with Chicago.  I can't speak to Tibetan Buddhism, but Chicago's Islamic Studies faculty is outstanding--plus they keep taunting me with emails about the amazing conferences and events they have coming up.  I agree, the intellectual feel there is very special.  Ironically, I almost feel bummed that I'm going to Harvard!  lol!  Anyway, Chicago'll be hearing from me again in about a year and three-quarters when I do my PhD applications.

For those that got into HDS and are more than likely going to go there, by all means, if you have any questions about the school, the area, living situations, the like, please do let me know. I may not reply incredibly quickly (I'm finishing out my last semester of the MTS here at HDS... and trying to finish out strong to apply to PhD programs later this year), but I will eventually reply.

I made a lot of mistakes coming in and also felt so completely lost my first semester here, so I would love to help those who get so overwhelmed!

What yds admissions twitter?

If you click on "contact us" on the left hand side of your screen on the "applicants" section of the website, you'll see a link to McAvoy's twitter, which is listed as the YDS admissions twitter.

Cool! Are you going to Admitted Student Days? Either way, we'll have to meet up sometime. Congrats! :)

They compd my hotel but not the flight, so no. I don't fancy the idea of paying for a plane ticket for two days.

I'm a poor undergrad student!!!

They compd my hotel but not the flight, so no. I don't fancy the idea of paying for a plane ticket for two days.

I'm a poor undergrad student!!!

Oh yeah, that's rough. I'm reeling thinking about the cost of moving across the country. We're a family of four living in California, so we've got some major downsizing to do to make this doable!

This is a general question for anyone here:

For someone in this situation what are your thoughts?

Someone is admitted to Saint Louis University ma in theology and given 60% tuition waiver. They're also admitted to boston college mts program and given 25% tuition. Which would you pick? Is the extra cost worth the name and program of BC?

I should mention the 60% offered by SLU is contingent upon enrolling in the religious ed. track, which is not geared toward research. If the individual is desiring eventual admission to a top PhD program does it make sense to spend the extra money?

Thoughts?

Edited by BAX2

Well, I am happy with this year's round of admissions for MDIV. Currently, I am deciding between PTS, YDS, and VDS. I received a full-ride to VDS while it will cost $1,350/semester (fees and all) for YDS and $1,400/semester (fees and all) for PTS. I have followed Dale Allison's work for quite a bit and want to work under him, but Amy Jill-Levine would be exciting at VDS. Of course, YDS has a great reputation for finding top placement for to-be PhD students.

I would say that as I am making this decision, cost of living is weighing heavily. Princeton seems to be a nicer place to live than New Haven; it also is cheaper.

Anybody in a similar boat choosing between PTS, YDS, and VDS who is wanting to concentrate of NT/Christian Origins?

That sounds like a good plan, Perytion. I'm also going between HDS and UChicago (for Tibetan Buddhist philosophy), but they both offered me the same aid package, so I'm leaning strongly towards Chi-town. It seems that Chicago is, very generally speaking, stronger in Asian religions. I also like the intellectual feel, which happens to suit me personally :)

I'm an HDS alumnus and I'm also from China. My concentration is not Asian studies so I have nothing to offer in this respect--that being said, I do know that Harvard has some strong faculty members in its East Asian and Inner Asian programs, who usually have joint appointments at HDS. Also, Boston seems like a lovely city surrounded by a number of nice small towns, Cambridge included. The winters are much less harsh than in Chicago.

In addition, Boston is a pretty resourceful place---though Chicago is a larger city. From Harvard you can get to Brown, Yale, Columbia, Dartmouth, NYU and others pretty easily and make good use of what they have to offer in your area of study and otherwise. In Chicago, of course, you also have Northwestern, while in the East this might multiply into a cluster of helpful places.

Last but not least---Harvard is a less rigorous place---which does not mean that the bar is lower here (except for the grade inflation). In a word, your experience could be a lot more enjoyable here. Besides, I haven't seen many people from China who prefer the quarter system at Chicago.

I'm currently enrolled in a PhD program at Harvard and feel free to contact me about the decision-making process. I'm always more than happy to meet more fellow Chinese students in the US who major in something other than Engineering, Maths and the like (absolutely no offense). 

Well, I am happy with this year's round of admissions for MDIV. Currently, I am deciding between PTS, YDS, and VDS. I received a full-ride to VDS while it will cost $1,350/semester (fees and all) for YDS and $1,400/semester (fees and all) for PTS. I have followed Dale Allison's work for quite a bit and want to work under him, but Amy Jill-Levine would be exciting at VDS. Of course, YDS has a great reputation for finding top placement for to-be PhD students.

I would say that as I am making this decision, cost of living is weighing heavily. Princeton seems to be a nicer place to live than New Haven; it also is cheaper.

Anybody in a similar boat choosing between PTS, YDS, and VDS who is wanting to concentrate of NT/Christian Origins?

Not even a fair fight: YDS, hands down. Not only do you have the Divinity School, but you also have Religious Studies and NELC. VDS has been in decline for the last couple years, and considering they are not even taking a PhD student in NT now, nor have they for the last couple years, should tell you of their prospects in the field. PTS, while good, I don't think would have the same sorts of opportunities offered at YDS. 

Feel free to PM me about PTS. I can tell you that Allison is universally loved by everyone I've know who has had a class with him. I'm not in NT but I was caught between PTS and YDS last year; came down to money for me. Princeton is a very nice town to live it. To be fair, the New Testament department is in a bit of a rebuilding phase right now.

This is a general question for anyone here:

For someone in this situation what are your thoughts?

Someone is admitted to Saint Louis University ma in theology and given 60% tuition waiver. They're also admitted to boston college mts program and given 25% tuition. Which would you pick? Is the extra cost worth the name and program of BC?

I should mention the 60% offered by SLU is contingent upon enrolling in the religious ed. track, which is not geared toward research. If the individual is desiring eventual admission to a top PhD program does it make sense to spend the extra money?

Thoughts?

I have a friend who is in the religious ed. track at SLU, he speaks highly of it. SLU might not have the name credentials but for certain fields its pretty top notch. My impression is that the BC MTS is still trying to get their bearings since they're a relatively new program. I could totally be wrong about that thought.

I have a friend who is in the religious ed. track at SLU, he speaks highly of it. SLU might not have the name credentials but for certain fields its pretty top notch. My impression is that the BC MTS is still trying to get their bearings since they're a relatively new program. I could totally be wrong about that thought.

Thanks. I guess my concern is that the religious ed program isn't really a research degree. As someone who will seek to enter a phd program, would the MTS or religious ed degree have more weight?

I'm trying to weigh the options. As a member of the BTI, students at BC may also enroll in classes at other institutions within the BTI, including Harvard Divinity School. BC also has the largest catholic library in the nation. Is the extra notoriety of BC worth the extra money?

YDS is sham. I got generous funding (80-90%) to Vandy and Candler (everywhere else I applied) and didn't even get into YDS. Did I mention that I do TFA, graduated with honors from a t-10 undergrad, and my pastoral rec came from a minister on their distinguished alumni board? Congrats to all who got in, please tell the rest of us who to fellate for those blue bloods in New Haven to send out an admit to someone without BullDog ejaculate all over their faces already. And I hope someone from their adcomm reads this because you all BLOW.

Edited by wonedy