MBTI types? Personality test

skgarcia

MBTI  

188 members have voted

1. 1. What MBTI type are you?

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I got INFJ. But I breezed through the questions and probably contradicted myself a lot. I'd only read the first few words. Reminded me of when they made me take some Minnesota Personality Bullshit Test in the military because I got in trouble all the time. 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Looked it up, it isn't the worst. Actually the description I read sounded really good. :)

When you asked your question, did you really think there were "good" or "bad" personality types? It's all relative. It's more of associating yourself with the types of people who don't annoy you. Me, for example, I go by the Chinese zodiac. I'm an Ox. I prefer Dragons. The girls tend to be easier and talk less. Tigers are a bit too energetic for my taste. 

When you asked your question, did you really think there were "good" or "bad" personality types? It's all relative. It's more of associating yourself with the types of people who don't annoy you. Me, for example, I go by the Chinese zodiac. I'm an Ox. I prefer Dragons. The girls tend to be easier and talk less. Tigers are a bit too energetic for my taste.

I did think there was a good or bad. I mean you can have a bad personality.. It isn't as if it's impossible.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I did think there was a good or bad. I mean you can have a bad personality.. It isn't as if it's impossible.

I doubt Carl Jung would make a test that determined good or bad personality types. And if he did, I doubt it would be wildly popular and generally accepted. People are way too sensitive. Imagine if there was a good/bad race, good/bad height, good/bad religion, good/bad personality, good/bad face, etc. I mean, there are, but people don't like to hear that. We live in a society where everybody's kid is special and everyone gets a participation ribbon. 

I'm an INTJ.... I actually run an INTJ blog that offers advice and tries to dispel stereotypes in my free time. Heh. Sometimes my hobby is more stressful than my profession.

Anyway, yeah. There are no good or bad types, no type is better than another type, and your type only classifies how you think and process information, not what you think and believe or what you like, what your interests are, etc. MBTI is great.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I'm an INTJ.... I actually run an INTJ blog that offers advice and tries to dispel stereotypes in my free time. Heh. Sometimes my hobby is more stressful than my profession.

Anyway, yeah. There are no good or bad types, no type is better than another type, and your type only classifies how you think and process information, not what you think and believe or what you like, what your interests are, etc. MBTI is great.

The only ones I found were Fuck Yeah INTJ and Hipster INTJ. 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Please don't tell me anyone here takes this "personality test" that seriously.

supaslim apparently has a blog dedicated to giving advice to people dealing with INTJ, as if it's some kind of condition. I think people love to attach themselves to some kind of label. Attaching yourself to a personality type that's determined by some bullshit 72 question Yes or No test you can breeze through in 5 minutes on the internet is a bit ridiculous. Reminds me of a friend I had who really wanted Asperger's. He was so disappointed when the doctor said he just had horrible social skills. 

It's more of a system of categorization than a personality test of the sort that tells you your spirit animal or hogwarts house or whatever. It's just a tool. It is often misused and misunderstood; it is supposed to outline how you think based on you, not tell you how you ought to think. Similar to how we examine species physically and genetically to place them on a phylogenetic tree; we don't say that echidnas and hedgehogs are clearly closely related because they look alike. Instead we examine each separately and come to independent conclusions about where they belong in the tree.

In the same way, MBTI examines each person individually and classifies them under a type. Each type only broadly outlines how that person's thought processes may work; it doesn't dictate how each person has to think based on outside impressions. And all the stereotypes that come along with it- INTJs as evil geniuses, ENFPs as bubbly airheads, what have you- are just stereotypes and should not be given much attention.

It's not something I live my life by. Everyone is an individual, and there are more than 16 kinds of people in the world. Still, I don't think it's entirely unfounded when you strip away the layers of bs that people have flippantly piled onto it, and it definitely helps me communicate with people who are very different from me. If nothing else, it's a good window for introspection.

supaslim apparently has a blog dedicated to giving advice to people dealing with INTJ, as if it's some kind of condition. I think people love to attach themselves to some kind of label. Attaching yourself to a personality type that's determined by some bullshit 72 question Yes or No test you can breeze through in 5 minutes on the internet is a bit ridiculous. Reminds me of a friend I had who really wanted Asperger's. He was so disappointed when the doctor said he just had horrible social skills. 

You obviously don't understand the blog. I'm not stigmatizing any personality types, or glorifying them, and that's the point. If you had actually read anything, you would see that. However, I think you'd rather leap to conclusions. A little closed-minded, there?

I recommend using a much more scientifically supported personality assessment, such as the Five Factor Model. It's nice that people want to be categorized, but when 50% of people who retake the MB are suddenly another category the reliability of the measure is called into question. Plus there is no attempt to try and prevent people from answering in a socially desireable way.

nah but it's super fun. i like personality quizzes. i've even taken meyer-briggs "officially" (i.e. more than 40 questions, full diagnostics of my percentages of each one, etc) which was paid for by a student group I was a part of. We also did the five factor. 

((I always get supremely amused by how poorly people misunderstand Extrovert vs Introvert personality types. Of course ~~all the introverts are supremely gifted amazing wonderful people who pursue higher degrees~~~ Oops, that's me laughing. There's at best loose correlation between intellect and introversion. Anything to feel special, I guess?)) 

Edited by m-ttl

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I recommend using a much more scientifically supported personality assessment, such as the Five Factor Model. It's nice that people want to be categorized, but when 50% of people who retake the MB are suddenly another category the reliability of the measure is called into question. Plus there is no attempt to try and prevent people from answering in a socially desireable way.

Why is it nice to fit into a category? Seems a bit 1930's Germany to me. 

nah but it's super fun. i like personality quizzes. i've even taken meyer-briggs "officially" (i.e. more than 40 questions, full diagnostics of my percentages of each one, etc) which was paid for by a student group I was a part of. We also did the five factor. 

((I always get supremely amused by how poorly people misunderstand Extrovert vs Introvert personality types. Of course ~~all the introverts are supremely gifted amazing wonderful people who pursue higher degrees~~~ Oops, that's me laughing. There's at best loose correlation between intellect and introversion. Anything to feel special, I guess?)) 

I agree. That's what was kind of annoying earlier in this thread when everyone was boasting about their introvertedness and the OP kept trying to make the correlation between introvert and intellect. Nerds like to make themselves feel good about themselves by justifying their awkwardness. I guess technically I'm an introvert, but I'm more of the sit in the corner of a dimly lit bar drinking whiskey type than a stay at home on a Friday night revising a potential writing sample type.