MBTI types? Personality test

skgarcia

MBTI  

188 members have voted

1. 1. What MBTI type are you?

Why is it nice to fit into a category? Seems a bit 1930's Germany to me. 

Sarcasm... Also, thank you for Godwining this thread haha.

I do agree with you about how annoying it is that introversion gets misrepresented into social awkwardness. I know how to talk to people and interact; I just don't get my energy from constantly doing that.

When you asked your question, did you really think there were "good" or "bad" personality types? It's all relative. It's more of associating yourself with the types of people who don't annoy you. Me, for example, I go by the Chinese zodiac. I'm an Ox. I prefer Dragons. The girls tend to be easier and talk less. Tigers are a bit too energetic for my taste. 

You like Chinese zodiac? It's pretty interesting to look at actually. Do you also know there's a whole astrology system that goes into it? Not only the sign (Rat, Ox, Tiger, etc.) there's also a whole other cycle of 10 "elements" which go with the 12 signs, creating at 60 year cycle. I just looked up its English name and it's somehow called "Stems and Branches" cycle. Also there's Wu Xing or the Five Elements, each is assigned to your year of birth (2 years for 1 element) but different for male and female. For example I was born under the year of the Horse and my element is Earth, and all female born that year as well as the year after (of the Ram) share the same element. Then each element has different "types", and each year there's a whole group of stars which are supposed to govern your year. So yeah, complicated stuff :)

Why is it nice to fit into a category? Seems a bit 1930's Germany to me.

I agree. That's what was kind of annoying earlier in this thread when everyone was boasting about their introvertedness and the OP kept trying to make the correlation between introvert and intellect. Nerds like to make themselves feel good about themselves by justifying their awkwardness. I guess technically I'm an introvert, but I'm more of the sit in the corner of a dimly lit bar drinking whiskey type than a stay at home on a Friday night revising a potential writing sample type.

You know, I always try to avoid threads when you're in them. You're such a freaking party pooper.

I like self reflection. It can be fun. This was fun. I enjoyed looking at the poll, and I like seeing how other people see themselves. Obviously people can influence their results, but that's also important in a different way.

Anyway, I also enjoyed doing the love languages test. It really helped me realize how I show love to others and helped me appreciate the love they send my way. I highly recommend it to others! (iirc, it's much shorter than MB, too, lol)

You know, I always try to avoid threads when you're in them. You're such a freaking party pooper.

I like self reflection. It can be fun. This was fun. I enjoyed looking at the poll, and I like seeing how other people see themselves. Obviously people can influence their results, but that's also important in a different way.

Anyway, I also enjoyed doing the love languages test. It really helped me realize how I show love to others and helped me appreciate the love they send my way. I highly recommend it to others! (iirc, it's much shorter than MB, too, lol)

Thank you.  He's a party pooper for me, too.

I also enjoyed the love languages test.  I'm verbal affirmation, you?

((I always get supremely amused by how poorly people misunderstand Extrovert vs Introvert personality types. Of course ~~all the introverts are supremely gifted amazing wonderful people who pursue higher degrees~~~ Oops, that's me laughing. There's at best loose correlation between intellect and introversion. Anything to feel special, I guess?)) 

I always get supremely amused by people who attach little end notes that contribute nothing to the conversation other than to try and boost their "coolness" factor by trying to distance themselves from the potentially uncool portion of a conversation.  Anything to feel special, I guess?

And Gnome, sometimes you are helpful and relevant.  Sometimes, you should just remove your fingers from your keyboard and go grab a Snickers. 

Seriously, this is a GRADUATE school forum.  The people on this forum are generally intelligent.  Is there any need to try and belittle people or their interests when responding to these kinds of questions?  You're smart, I'm smart, we're all friggin smart.  The problem seems to lie in the jerk ratio.  Some of you are working with some huge numerators.  I'm just thankful that you are the minority and not the majority.

With that out of the way, I'm hoping this thread can go back to discussion in an intelligent and peaceful manner.  I need to go get some much needed coffee. 

I always get supremely amused by people who attach little end notes that contribute nothing to the conversation other than to try and boost their "coolness" factor by trying to distance themselves from the potentially uncool portion of a conversation.  Anything to feel special, I guess?

And Gnome, sometimes you are helpful and relevant.  Sometimes, you should just remove your fingers from your keyboard and go grab a Snickers. 

Seriously, this is a GRADUATE school forum.  The people on this forum are generally intelligent.  Is there any need to try and belittle people or their interests when responding to these kinds of questions?  You're smart, I'm smart, we're all friggin smart.  The problem seems to lie in the jerk ratio.  Some of you are working with some huge numerators.  I'm just thankful that you are the minority and not the majority.

With that out of the way, I'm hoping this thread can go back to discussion in an intelligent and peaceful manner.  I need to go get some much needed coffee. 

Hallelujah!  Seriously, I wonder every time I come into contact with Gnome and select others on these forums why they go out of their way to belittle others.  His reputation in the positive two hundreds+ makes me feel very sad about the state of mind some forum members have.  I just don't get it.  No one in this entire thread bragged about anything.. I just asked questions I thought were interesting.  

Gnome, picking on others constantly and consistently makes you appear to be the inwardly hurt one (for one reason or another, I'm not your therapist, just a sufferer of your negativity) and your "followers" also appear to suffer from the same cynical attitude.  Kindness is the universal language.  Learn to speak it.

Humor at the cost of others is never funny.  It does, however, reflect on you negatively.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Hallelujah!  Seriously, I wonder every time I come into contact with Gnome and select others on these forums why they go out of their way to belittle others.  His reputation in the positive two hundreds+ makes me feel very sad about the state of mind some forum members have.  I just don't get it.  No one in this entire thread bragged about anything.. I just asked questions I thought were interesting.  

Gnome, picking on others constantly and consistently makes you appear to be the inwardly hurt one (for one reason or another, I'm not your therapist, just a sufferer of your negativity) and your "followers" also appear to suffer from the same cynical attitude.  Kindness is the universal language.  Learn to speak it.

Humor at the cost of others is never funny.  It does, however, reflect on you negatively.

My reputation surprises me too. The majority of my up-votes are probably from poop jokes. And the sad thing is, I've had hundreds of down-votes from when I randomly decide to be a jerk. If I never had a down-vote, I'd probably be in the quadruple digits.

When you asked your question, did you really think there were "good" or "bad" personality types? It's all relative. It's more of associating yourself with the types of people who don't annoy you. Me, for example, I go by the Chinese zodiac. I'm an Ox. I prefer Dragons. The girls tend to be easier and talk less. Tigers are a bit too energetic for my taste.

I'm a dragon... Hey baby, whatchu doin' tonight? :P

Edited by starofdawn

Guest Gnome Chomsky

But Ox's and Dragons are meant to be together! How can you deny our love? This is proven science! If I don't find a husband right now, I'll never have enough time to have 3 kids.

That's true. You would be a failure if you were 30 and single. I didn't think about that part.

"my SOP" <-- there you go, I wrote it, hold your applause.

But to bring the thread back on track - we should take these personality types with a big grain of salt. There might be some truth (I consider myself introverted), but we should look for false claims. For example, has anyone noticed that there are no flaws or negative characteristics in our personality descriptions? That's a little odd to me. Would we dismiss our results if they touched on our negative personality traits, especially ones that we have a hard time accepting? Perhaps these personality tests purposefully don't input personality flaws in their descriptions to entice us to believe our results, and trust in the accuracy of the test?

Another hypothesis, and perhaps unnecessarily damning, but I've noticed that a lot of us have rare personality types. Is it a coincidence? Maybe.... but I've always wondered if these personality tests are fixed. Was I given the most rare personality type on purpose, to make me feel special? Would I consider the MBTI personality test to be more accurate if it gave me results that made me feel like one-of-a-kind?

Just some of my musings, other thoughts are welcome.

Edited by starofdawn

Guest Gnome Chomsky

"my SOP" <-- there you go, I wrote it, hold your applause.

But to bring the thread back on track - we should take these personality types with a big grain of salt. There might be some truth (I consider myself introverted), but we should look for false claims. For example, has anyone noticed that there are no flaws or negative characteristics in our personality descriptions? That's a little odd to me. Would we dismiss our results if they touched on our negative personality traits, especially ones that we have a hard time accepting? Perhaps these personality tests purposefully don't input personality flaws in their descriptions to entice us to believe our results, and trust in the accuracy of the test?

Another hypothesis, and perhaps unnecessarily damning, but I've noticed that a lot of us have rare personality types. Is it a coincidence? Maybe.... but I've always wondered if these personality tests are fixed. Was I given the most rare personality type on purpose, to make me feel special? Would I consider the MBTI personality test to be more accurate if it gave me results that made me feel like one-of-a-kind?

Just some of my musings, other thoughts are welcome.

I don't know too much about this test but I'll try to address your two points.

1. Isn't the percentage part supposed to kinda imply good/bad relative to the testee (haha I said testee)? I mean, if you pride yourself on being a calculated person and your results say Thinking(18%) then I could see you being a bit disappointed.

2. I would say abnormal is probably normal on GradCafe. I don't mean that with disrespect (maybe a little) but look at the average person who posts on GC. Did well in high school, never been arrested, not a drug user, did well in college, open minded and non judgmental, active in their community, a bit of a nerd, extreme work ethic, likes to plan ahead, a bit obsessive, maybe a little socially awkward. I'm sure that describes a good amount of people on here. I think we forget how abnormal we are. None of my friends went to college and when I hang out with them I find it amusing how different we are. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd go crazy if I associated with college people 24/7.

Edited by Gnome Chomsky

I don't know too much about this test but I'll try to address your two points.

1. Isn't the percentage part supposed to kinda imply good/bad relative to the testee (haha I said testee)? I mean, if you pride yourself on being a calculated person and your results say Thinking(18%) then I could see you being a bit disappointed.

2. I would say abnormal is probably normal on GradCafe. I don't mean that with disrespect (maybe a little) but look at the average person who posts on GC. Did well in high school, never been arrested, not a drug user, did well in college, open minded and non judgmental, active in their community, a bit of a nerd, extreme work ethic, likes to plan ahead, a bit obsessive, maybe a little socially awkward. I'm sure that describes a good amount of people on here. I think we forget how abnormal we are. None of my friends went to college and when I hang out with them I find it amusing how different we are. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd go crazy if I associated with college people 24/7.

1. I've never taken a MBTI test with percentages, I'll have to check that out.

2. I did some research - 17% of the US has a bachelor's and 10% has a graduate/professional degree. If, let's say, 50% of those who apply to graduate school don't complete their degree, then about 14% of the population applies to graduate school. Now, certainly not everyone who applies to graduate school comes to GradCafe, so that bumps down the percentage of GradCafers to... I guess, 6 or 7% of the overall population? If my assumptions are correct, you're right, abnormal is normal for GradCafe. But I can't help but be very suspicious of anything that perpetrates the "you're a special snowflake" message. I feel like it does extreme cognitive damage. 

For example, has anyone noticed that there are no flaws or negative characteristics in our personality descriptions? That's a little odd to me. Would we dismiss our results if they touched on our negative personality traits, especially ones that we have a hard time accepting? Perhaps these personality tests purposefully don't input personality flaws in their descriptions to entice us to believe our results, and trust in the accuracy of the test?

From INFJ:

"Situations which are charged with conflict may drive the normally peaceful INFJ into a state of agitation or charged anger. They may tend to internalize conflict into their bodies, and experience health problems when under a lot of stress."

And "...this may result in an INFJ stubborness and tendency to ignore other people's opinions."

And "INFJs are rarely at complete peace with themselves."

And "The INFJ will either avoid such things, or else go to the other extreme and become enveloped in the details to the extent that they can no longer see the big picture. An INFJ who has gone the route of becoming meticulous about details may be highly critical of other individuals who are not."

I mean, they aren't insanely awful, but they aren't roses and butterflies either.

Why do people answer in a socially desirable way on "personal"ity tests? Always been curious bout that.

My introversion has been described as "not cute"...and "oddball" by ppl who think they're my friends, so I def would not brag about being an introvert to anybody. 

So...are we still talkin' bout the MBTI? 

Edited by i.am.me

I am & have tested since a young age as a INTJ, and really tightly nested into that corner, but I'm not someone someone that most people would describe as "shy", "gifted", or "serious".  I'm the sort of person who addresses my adviser as "homie" and gets the giggles during seminar. Those parts of me are real, but the more classic INTJ bits are at the heart of me too.  Well, I'm not feeling particularly gifted this week… But although I'm wonky and playful and filled with whimsy and mirth - I also usually work with my door mainly closed, and need plenty of "me time" to unwind after work, and share a really linear way of problem solving with my dad that has flummoxed and annoyed my mother (and now my husband?) for years.

Of all the personality type tests, I always liked this one because it helped me put my finger on the fact that I was a true introvert & not (as people who only noticed my more outgoing qualities might assume) an extrovert having a series of bad days.  Also nice, this test doesn't say that one type is better than another.  And I hope nobody feels this way from reading this thread.  There might be a ton of us INTJ's here but I think this forum might have more than my department, and certainly the smartest, funniest, kindest person I know (my husband) is an ESFP.  And I think he's perfect.