MBTI types? Personality test

skgarcia

MBTI  

188 members have voted

1. 1. What MBTI type are you?

This time I scored ENTJ, but the E won out by 1%. Pretty sure there've been times in the part when I was INTJ, with a very small margin of preference for I. The others are moderate preferences (25-33%). 

The psych major in me can't quite get on board with this test though. It's a little too easy to know which way to skew your results by picking a particular answer. Also a lot of my responses about the basis of decisions (impulsive or planned, experience or experimentation) would depend on the gravity and personal or professional nature of the decision.

• 5 weeks later...

I thought it was interesting that INTJ and INFJ were the highest people on here.  I don't think that is representative of the graduate student population, but I think it is very likely that INTJs and INFJs are internet dwellers and would find a place like gradcafe :)

I've gotten ESFJ every time I've taken one of these tests, but I feel that only about half of the description applies to me. There were a lot of questions on the test about how much time you spend with other people and how you like to be perceived by them, and if you answer that you do like spending time with others and that you think public perception of yourself is important, the test decides that you are a great team player and a person who avoids conflict, which I believe is a fallacious conclusion to draw from those responses. I love spending time with others, but honestly I'm a pretty crappy team player who will avoid a group project like the plague, and I have been known to seek out conflict if I believe it's best to face the situation head-on. 

Oh my goodness, Gnome, that example reminded me of how, at a recent conference, I went to breakfast by myself and it was just what I needed.  Like you said, I love talking to all of the wonderful people who were attending, and I thoroughly enjoyed and was so thankful for our discussions about research and findings, but by Saturday, I had to just go off by myself and have a quiet meal.  

Roguesenna, it really just goes to show that grades don't necessarily speak to true ability, nor do gifted programs (especially since gifted programs aren't in all schools, if I'm not mistaken?).

That DOESN'T mean that folks in gifted programs are not intelligent!!!  I'm just saying that not all folks with high intellectual abilities are in gifted programs that really cultivate that intellect...if that makes any sense.  It's been a long day!

I worked with someone who reminds me of you and your theatre example, so I totally understand!!  

I totally agree! I mean we have to take into account the fact that gifted programs are designed by humans who may or may not be gifted, so they're inherently fallible. Nor are they standardized, so you're right, every single one is different! I was in a lot of different gifted programs, one in elementary school called "GTC" (Gifted, Talented and Creative), in middle school I did "Saturday School" at the local community college, between high school and college I did "MTC at MSU" (Math, Science and Technology at Michigan State University), I was invited to take college math in high school (which I quit because it was so difficult I was constantly breaking into tears) and I took honors and AP courses before eventually participating in a summer High Energy Physics Lab program at MSU (I got to make and test parts for the Large Hadron Collider at CERN. It was AWESOME!) But yeah, my grades were crap until I realized I needed to get into college. Then I started shaping up. I mean age-old story: Einstein had shitty grades.

So yeah, gifted programs have little to do with whether or not you're actually "gifted" and a lot more to do with exposure and opportunity. Plus, as you can probably tell from my story, once you're labeled as "gifted" you get invited to a lot more gifted/accelerated programs.

Please don't tell me anyone here takes this "personality test" that seriously.

I don't, specially one based on Jung, who I don't even consider a respectful scientist (at least not for nowadays standards). Anyway, the test is fun! =) I'm ENFJ, but my "E" was only 1% different from the "I", so although I consider myself an extroverted person, I'm confused!

Please don't tell me anyone here takes this "personality test" that seriously.

I do. But with limits/exclusions/fine print:

1. I think of them more as broad categories with gray areas

2. A short 20 question internet version is not nearly as good as the ridiculously long one

3. There are degrees for each personality trait. There are some people who are really really J, some people who are really really P, and oodles of people straddling the fence.

If anyone is interested in finding out more, Otto Kroeger and Janet M. Thuesen wrote two really good books on the subject called "Type Talk" and "Type Talk at Work"

I was at a seminar given by Otto and he's a really good speaker. (It was some sort of college freshman seminar thingy we had to do). A couple of things he mentioned:

1. Comparing introversion to extraversion: Introverts are exhausted after spending a few hours at a party and recharged after spending a few hours alone. Extraverts are exhausted after spending a few hours alone and recharged after spending a few hours at a party.

2. Comparing judging and perceiving: Judgers make lists and use them. Perceivers make lists and lose them.