MBTI types? Personality test

skgarcia

MBTI  

188 members have voted

1. 1. What MBTI type are you?

INTJ, but I can tell you from experience, if you know any of these sorts of tests you can make it say whatever you want.

on that note I can tell you :

This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals; for instance, they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship). To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. :-) This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete', paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.

Describes me perfectly

Edited by Hopeful678

Meyers-Briggs is pretty pseudoscientific, but I scored INTP when I took the official test.  (Freshman year seminar made us take it.  To this DAY I don't know why.) I always score INTP, strong INT, weak P/J when I take it now, too.

My OCEAN traits are very high openness, very high conscientiousness, very low extraversion, low agreeableness, high neuroticism.

Edited by gellert

INTJ HERE AS WELL!!!

and sure we know that the Myers-Briggs is a little bit of the "astrology of Psychology" when it comes to Personality Tests. but honestly... even the more "scientific" ones (NEO-PI, BIG 5, etc.) are pretty 'out there to begin with'.

Source: trust me. i'm a Quant Psych/Psychometrician. i crunch test numbers all the time and the Big5/NEO-PI are notoriously known for their bad psychometric properties.

but we still kinda like them anyway :D

ISFJ here. I've been in gifted programs my entire life, and scored in the 99th percentile on all the aptitude tests we took in elementary and high school. I'm definitely and introvert, and definitely someone who feels emotions very strongly.

People are surprised that I'm an introvert, however, since I'm good at public speaking, I don't mind teaching or presenting to large groups of people, and will happily take charge of a group. I'm just not one for lots of socializing. I'd rather stay at home and read a good book than go out to a party, and I'm very shy if put in a social situation with people I don't know. However, if it's a professional situation with people I don't know, I'm very comfortable.

ISFJ here. I've been in gifted programs my entire life, and scored in the 99th percentile on all the aptitude tests we took in elementary and high school. I'm definitely and introvert, and definitely someone who feels emotions very strongly.

People are surprised that I'm an introvert, however, since I'm good at public speaking, I don't mind teaching or presenting to large groups of people, and will happily take charge of a group. I'm just not one for lots of socializing. I'd rather stay at home and read a good book than go out to a party, and I'm very shy if put in a social situation with people I don't know. However, if it's a professional situation with people I don't know, I'm very comfortable.

I'll be one of the falsifiers of the "if introverted, then in gifted program" hypothesis.  I never qualified for gifted programs in elementary and middle school (A/B student. I never had straight A's until college!) and I dropped out of high school, so I definitely never qualified for any gifted program there.

As for your second point, you can definitely be social and good at public speaking/teaching and still be introverted.  Introversion involves an individual drawing energy from themselves instead of others (for example, a social, outgoing person who feels great wearing what they're wearing because they, themselves, like it).  

Conversely, those who are extroverted and draw their energy from others can still be shy (for example, a quiet person who feels great wearing what they're wearing because of any compliments they receive from others on their outfit.  Homely examples, but you get the point).  

I know the Youth and Government program in my early high school days made me more social and apt to speak in front of others (mandatory impromptu speeches every week), and working in a retail environment for six years has conditioned me to easily interact with folks I've never met (well, most of them ... ).  However, I do end up drawing energy from myself more than I draw energy from others (that does not mean that I do not draw any energy from others).  

So, I'm not surprised you're introverted at all, cause it sounds like we're similar in that respect :)

Edited by gingin6789

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I'll be one of the falsifiers of the "if introverted, then in gifted program" hypothesis. I never qualified for gifted programs in elementary and middle school (A/B student. I never had straight A's until college!) and I dropped out of high school, so I definitely never qualified for any gifted program there.

As for your second point, you can definitely be social and good at public speaking/teaching and still be introverted. Introversion involves an individual drawing energy from themselves instead of others (for example, a social, outgoing person who feels great wearing what they're wearing because they, themselves, like it).

Conversely, those who are extroverted and draw their energy from others can still be shy (for example, a quiet person who feels great wearing what they're wearing because of any compliments they receive from others on their outfit. Homely examples, but you get the point).

I know the Youth and Government program in my early high school days made me more social and apt to speak in front of others (mandatory impromptu speeches every week), and working in a retail environment for six years has conditioned me to easily interact with folks I've never met (well, most of them ... ). However, I do end up drawing energy from myself more than I draw energy from others (that does not mean that I do not draw any energy from others).

So, I'm not surprised you're introverted at all, cause it sounds like we're similar in that respect :)

Excellent descriptions and clarifications of the terms introvert and extrovert.

I would also add that a lot of super genius people who think they're introverts probably actually have some kind of social disorder. I feel like a true introvert is someone who has the ability to socialize but, like gin said, just draws inspiration from self.

Edited by Gnome Chomsky

Excellent descriptions and clarifications of the terms introvert and extrovert.

I would also add that a lot of super genius people who think they're introverts probably actually have some kind of social disorder. I feel like a true introvert is someone who has the ability to socialize but, like gin said, just draws inspiration from self.

Thank you, Gnome!

I understand what you're saying.  I do think that the terms "introversion" and "extroversion" are conflated with "quietness" and "sociability," respectively.  I used to think that's what the terms meant all the way up until an undergrad business writing class, where the professor really broke the concepts down and explained them thoroughly!

As for social disorders, I can't say much (I simply don't know enough about them), but I can say that if someone absolutely cannot socialize or interact with others, it's likely not simply due to introversion.  Something else must be in play in such cases because many introverted folks have the ability to socialize or feign sociability, even if they feel like they want to crawl out of their skin when interacting with strangers or a large group of acquaintances.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Thank you, Gnome!

I understand what you're saying.  I do think that the terms "introversion" and "extroversion" are conflated with "quietness" and "sociability," respectively.  I used to think that's what the terms meant all the way up until an undergrad business writing class, where the professor really broke the concepts down and explained them thoroughly!

As for social disorders, I can't say much (I simply don't know enough about them), but I can say that if someone absolutely cannot socialize or interact with others, it's likely not simply due to introversion.  Something else must be in play in such cases because many introverted folks have the ability to socialize or feign sociability, even if they feel like they want to crawl out of their skin when interacting with strangers or a large group of acquaintances.

Yep. That's what I'm saying. I feel like a "normal" person has the ability to socialize. Of course, some people socialize better than others, but a normal person should be able to socialize quite easily. Of course there are non-neurological things that contribute to someone becoming distant from interaction, such as bullying, teasing, low self-esteem due to bad looks, weight, etc. People like that were probably born with the ability to be very social but life took certain turns and they went into a shell. But then there are people who just cannot socialize. And a lot of these people happen to be very intelligent, like freakishly. I know lots of people like this and they truly believe they're introverts (they even boast about it). But the truth is, they probably have something neurological going on, like asperger's or something. My idea of an introvert is someone who just feels more comfortable by themselves. I'll just use myself as an example. People seem to like me. A lot of people want to hang out or get to know me, but I usually blow people off. I'm also a nice guy so I don't blow them off to be an asshole. But I genuinely do not like hanging out with people. I much rather prefer to go out by myself to a bar or restaurant. Even when I do, a lot of the people there interact with me. I've gotten to know a lot of them and I enjoy talking to them. But there are many times when I just go in a lonely corner and sit by myself. They've gotten used to it. They know to give me my space if I go straight to the corner. 

I oscillate between INFJ and INTJ. Got INFJ this time.

I'll be one of the falsifiers of the "if introverted, then in gifted program" hypothesis.  I never qualified for gifted programs in elementary and middle school (A/B student. I never had straight A's until college!) and I dropped out of high school, so I definitely never qualified for any gifted program there.

As for your second point, you can definitely be social and good at public speaking/teaching and still be introverted.  Introversion involves an individual drawing energy from themselves instead of others (for example, a social, outgoing person who feels great wearing what they're wearing because they, themselves, like it).  

I was in the gifted programs and I had terrible grades actually. Throughout school I didn't see the point of homework -- it seemed like mindless busy work with no purpose, I already understood the concepts and had not yet grasped the concept that it was worth practicing them anyway -- and I had better things to do, so I simply didn't do my homework. But when the test came around, I always aced it. Thus I was in the gifted programs. Like someone said earlier gifted programs are so inconsistent with what they require and what they offer, there's no good reason to use that as data.

And chiming in as a social introvert. Love theatre, love performing, love being out with my friends, but it has to be close friends and my favorite moment in that theatre is after everyone is gone and I get a second to stand in that empty theatre and reflect on the experience.

my favorite moment in that theatre is after everyone is gone and I get a second to stand in that empty theatre and reflect on the experience.

don't you find empty theatres kinda scary? 

i only did that once in our high school play (someone knew someone who would let us use a professional theatre). i was left alone with 2 other people doing the clean-up after everybody was gone... holy crap! i swear i could see shadows moving in the seats. i know it was only my imagination but i didn't hang around long enough to investigate

don't you find empty theatres kinda scary? 

... you're not a theatre person, are you?

sorry, but absolutely not. Or maybe I find them the tiniest bit frightening in that there's so much potential in an empty theatre that the idea of filling up that space can be daunting. But honestly, for me, being in an empty theatre is like no other feeling in the world. It's both insanely calm and bizzarely exciting at the same time. Especially right after a production has ended, it's as if I can feel the energy of everyone that was in the room before. Old theatres are even better.

Edited by roguesenna

Looks like I'm the first (only?) ESTJ. I normally get that or ESTP on these things, though I once got ENTJ as well.

I've been taking this test randomly for about four years, and as I've gotten older I've gone from having strong preferences to only moderate or almost no preference of certain qualities over others...which makes sense, I guess.

I'll just use myself as an example. People seem to like me. A lot of people want to hang out or get to know me, but I usually blow people off. I'm also a nice guy so I don't blow them off to be an asshole. But I genuinely do not like hanging out with people. I much rather prefer to go out by myself to a bar or restaurant. Even when I do, a lot of the people there interact with me. I've gotten to know a lot of them and I enjoy talking to them. But there are many times when I just go in a lonely corner and sit by myself. They've gotten used to it. They know to give me my space if I go straight to the corner. 

Oh my goodness, Gnome, that example reminded me of how, at a recent conference, I went to breakfast by myself and it was just what I needed.  Like you said, I love talking to all of the wonderful people who were attending, and I thoroughly enjoyed and was so thankful for our discussions about research and findings, but by Saturday, I had to just go off by myself and have a quiet meal.  

I was in the gifted programs and I had terrible grades actually. Throughout school I didn't see the point of homework -- it seemed like mindless busy work with no purpose, I already understood the concepts and had not yet grasped the concept that it was worth practicing them anyway -- and I had better things to do, so I simply didn't do my homework. But when the test came around, I always aced it. Thus I was in the gifted programs. Like someone said earlier gifted programs are so inconsistent with what they require and what they offer, there's no good reason to use that as data.

And chiming in as a social introvert. Love theatre, love performing, love being out with my friends, but it has to be close friends and my favorite moment in that theatre is after everyone is gone and I get a second to stand in that empty theatre and reflect on the experience.

Roguesenna, it really just goes to show that grades don't necessarily speak to true ability, nor do gifted programs (especially since gifted programs aren't in all schools, if I'm not mistaken?).

That DOESN'T mean that folks in gifted programs are not intelligent!!!  I'm just saying that not all folks with high intellectual abilities are in gifted programs that really cultivate that intellect...if that makes any sense.  It's been a long day!

I worked with someone who reminds me of you and your theatre example, so I totally understand!!  

I'm an INFJ, but I'm pretty sure the last time I took it, it told me that I was a 50/50 split in two of the areas, sensing/intuitive and thinking/feeling. So I guess that means I could also be an ISFJ, an INTJ, or an ISTJ. I feel like the description of INFJ matches my personality pretty well.