turned down offers thread

I turned down Illinois at Urbana-Champaign this week and took my name off of the waitlist at UW-Madison. I was offered a first year fellowship at UIUC, so congratulations to the person who will now receive it-- it was an incredibly hard offer to decline, for that reason and many others. 

Just turned down funded offers for a Lit Ph.D. at Florida State and Middle Tennessee State University. Also turned down a "funding decision to come" offer from the University of Memphis. My focus is Victorian Lit (and critical theory). 

Just turned down funded offer at Iowa, English PhD. I am a transnational/post-colonialist. I hope that helps someone!

I'm a transnational/ postcolonialist and I just turned down a funded offer at Iowa too!

Hi everybody. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I've been accepted to UDub, but am waitlisted for funding, which has (of course) turned fun-loving ol' me into a tightly wound ball of anxious anticipation. I appeal to the gradcafe (please) to soothe my stressing!

Is anybody, anybody at all, planning to turn down one of Washington's precious funded offers?????

I've been accepted to UDub, but am waitlisted for funding, which has (of course) turned fun-loving ol' me into a tightly wound ball of anxious anticipation. I appeal to the gradcafe (please) to soothe my stressing!

Is anybody, anybody at all, planning to turn down one of Washington's precious funded offers?????

I'm in the same boat. Would love to go there, but that money is crucial.

Hi everyone: Here are the offers I've just turned down -

1: Funded Ph.D. offers to University at Albany, George Washington University, and Northeastern.

2: Fully-funded M.A. at University of Delaware

3: I removed myself from a funding waiting list for Boston College's M.A. program

4. I turned down a 1/2 T.A.ship at the University of Maryland, College Park.

5. I removed myself from a waiting list at Tufts

I'm looking to study 19th/early 20th Century British, so Romanticism to early Modernism. I hope someone gets a nice offer from one of these; they were all wonderful schools, and it was hard to make a decision! Attending Stony Brook next year :)

Rachelann1991 - did you turn down a PhD or masters spot at umd and if so what area? I'm high on the waitlist so id love to know !  thanks.

Rachelann1991 - did you turn down a PhD or masters spot at umd and if so what area? I'm high on the waitlist so id love to know !  thanks.

Hi, Kermit! I turned down an M.A. with a half T.A.ship; I applied for their Ph.D. but was offered a partially funded master's instead. I wish you luck with UMD!!!! It's an amazing program, and I hope you get in! Also: I'm in Victorian/Early Modernism :)

Edited by rachelann1991

This morning I declined UC Riverside's offer. It was a very hard thing to do - it was kind of my dream school, but my decision came down to unexpected family situations and location. I hope it is someone else's dream school and you get an offer soon! 

I'll be turning down my funded M.A. offer from University of Delaware and taking myself off the wait list for a funded PhD at University at Albany. I hope this helps someone! Feel free to message me if you have any questions about Delaware-- it's an EXCELLENT program and I'm sad to have turned it down. 

Finally ripped the band-aid off and declined UC San Diego (fully funded w/add'l fellowship), UC Santa Cruz, and removed myself from the waitlist at Brandeis. I hope this helps someone out!

Today, I turned down my funded PhD offer to UW (a four year, renewable teaching assistantship); I'm a 20th century Americanist, if that helps. Best of luck!

In addition, removing myself from the wait list at UIUC and Indiana (man, removing myself from Indiana is hard . . ) but I'm happy with my decision!

I'm in the same boat. Would love to go there, but that money is crucial.

Turned down SFSU's MA English program. This sort of really makes me sad, because I love the Bay and want to live in Northern California again so badly but oh well. The east coast is calling me. Maybe someday, San Francisco, we shall meet again.