Your Favorite Words That Mean Something Specific In Your Field

PhDerp

I think my skin color is close to 10YR 7/3 or 7/4 - I'm thinking I should get that tattooed somewhere.....

I love that archies get dig-related tattoos. I know a few folks with trowels, projectile points, glyphs, etc. (usually hidden). I've been slowly planning a full sleeve for my right arm, & I fully intend to have a skull (with modified dentition, of course) & cross-marshalltowns at the top. Coolest kid in town right here, I swear.

Other terms I love:

• Moving dirt: trying to tackle an enormous project area in a short amount of time. Speedy excavation or shovel test pit-digging..
  • Pounding ground: same as above, but for pedestrian surveys. Related to long or short miles; some days you walk 2 long miles, & some days you walk 12 short ones.
  • Native American sex stone: when a crew member, usually the new kid, pulls something non-cultural out of the ground. "Hey, crew chief, what's this?" "It's a Native American sex stone." "What?" "It's just a f**king rock."

Oh, you've come out of your hole.

I don't know what you mean?

I have a lot of math, CS, and linguistics terminology to post on this once I get to a real keyboard!

IPA = International Phonetic Alphabet, basically its a system of writing that replicates how people sound out words. Used in my field of Audiology but mostly in Linguistics and Speech Language Pathology. It's not a hoppy beer :)

IPA = International Phonetic Alphabet, basically its a system of writing that replicates how people sound out words. Used in my field of Audiology but mostly in Linguistics and Speech Language Pathology. It's not a hoppy beer :)

we use IPA in theatre too!

Oddly enough, another word is Geography.  Oh you're studying Geography?  So do you know where *insert city name* is?  No, Geography is not the study of where stuff is.  lol

Rather perplexingly, I was once told by a guy trying to sell me car insurance, "Geography? Cool, cool...I ALWAYS wanted to dig up dinosaurs when I was a kid!" 

:huh:  

Anyway, Geography jargon: how about "spatiotemporal" and "scale"

Or "spatial and temporal scales"

Or "varies throughout time and space"

:blink:

how about my least favorite? off the top of my head

safety permits:

RATA - relative accuracy test audit

TS104 - technical standard 104. (don't ask me what it entails, but apparently it's important)

SIL - safety integrity level

operating limits:

environmental limits (from the EPA)

SOC (safety operating limits)

KPRP (key production ... shit I forgot what the other two stand for)

project related:

MOC - management of change

LDAR - leak detection and repair

PMP - preventative maintenance plan

P&ID - piping and instruments diagram

PFD - process flow diagram

BPF - forgot what it stands for, but it's like a blueprint

DMF - decision making frame work

positions:

OE - operations engineer

SOE - senior operations engineer

RDL - reliability day leader

RSL - reliability shift leader

MLO - ???

RCC - resources ? coordinator

PL - production leader

and about 100 more...

*SIGH*

industrial standards totally suck. I miss the days where things are simple, and there isn't 100 pages of paperwork that has to go through 100 people every time I do something.

and as a side note, we have this chemical - adiponitrile - or ADN, and auto correct always changes that to AND.. So it's like whenever I'm on a different computer, I have to hit backspace allll the way back to the typo, change it, hit spacebar, and it changes again! GOD

Edited by spectastic

I love that archies get dig-related tattoos. I know a few folks with trowels, projectile points, glyphs, etc. (usually hidden). I've been slowly planning a full sleeve for my right arm, & I fully intend to have a skull (with modified dentition, of course) & cross-marshalltowns at the top. Coolest kid in town right here, I swear.

Other terms I love:

• Moving dirt: trying to tackle an enormous project area in a short amount of time. Speedy excavation or shovel test pit-digging..
  • Pounding ground: same as above, but for pedestrian surveys. Related to long or short miles; some days you walk 2 long miles, & some days you walk 12 short ones.
  • Native American sex stone: when a crew member, usually the new kid, pulls something non-cultural out of the ground. "Hey, crew chief, what's this?" "It's a Native American sex stone." "What?" "It's just a f**king rock."

That's awesome. Sounds like someone has visited the CRM world! Still doing CRM or working for the government or was it just for experience? I have never enjoyed the projects, my self. Fun trips, but not my idea for a career! (no judgement on those who have chosen that path)

That's awesome. Sounds like someone has visited the CRM world! Still doing CRM or working for the government or was it just for experience? I have never enjoyed the projects, my self. Fun trips, but not my idea for a career! (no judgement on those who have chosen that path)

Working for the government, hoping to keep it that way. I'd like to be the Tahoe or Eldorado NF head archie one day. :) Mostly USFS, but I guess I'm working sort-of-for the NPS this summer. That reminds me!:

• Pickle Suit: US Forest Service uniform.

Klumpenhouwer Network.  I think it's fun to say and impressive sounding; but not everyone can spell Klumpenhouwer off the top of their head like I can, so it is sometimes called a K-net.  Not to be confused with K-Tel, a record label that specialized in one-hit wonders of the 70s and disco.

Edited by gr8pumpkin

Structuralism, which for historians refers to theoretical frameworks that emphasize any broad, powerful, wide-reaching, and hard to change intangible structure (for example Marxism or Capitalism) that can serve as a driving force in human history above and beyond the acts of human individuals. 

Nope, it's got nothing to do with buildings or how they affected the course of history (face palm).

• 2 weeks later...

There are plenty of them but here are a few:

• Air: White space used in a story design
  • Armpit: An awkward-looking page layout where a story's banner headline sits on top of a photo or another headline
  • Bastard measure: Any non-standard width for a column of text
  • Bleed: A page element that extends to the trimmed edge of a printed page
  • Doglegs:  L-shaped columns of text that wrap around art, ads or other stories
  • Ear: Text or graphic elements on either side of a newspaper's flag
  • Gutter: narrow margin of white space in the center area in a magazine, newspaper, or book, where two pages meet
  • Hammer head:  A headline that uses a big, bold word or phrase for impact and runs a small, wide deck below
  • Morgue: newsroom library
  • Orphan: A short word or phrase that's carried over to a new column or page
  • Pork chop: A half-column mug shot.
  • Teaser:   An eye-catching graphic element, on Page One or section fronts, that promotes an item inside; also called a promo.
  • Widow:  A word or phrase that makes up the last line of text in a paragraph