A week to go for April. 15

hopehopehope

Still no news....omg

I was #1 on the wait list. What happen? Is it possible if the accepted one delay his/her decision after April. 15?

You're not out until they tell you so. It could be that they accepted other applicants on the wait list and await the students' decisions.

Anyone else surprised that it is way past April 15th, and you've yet to hear if you are off the wait list?

Yea, I'm still waiting to hear too.  I emailed the admissions coordinator last Friday and got no response.  What does that mean??  Are we still in the running?  Ughh....

Yea, I'm still waiting to hear too.  I emailed the admissions coordinator last Friday and got no response.  What does that mean??  Are we still in the running?  Ughh....

I think it just means that they are still determining what to do. They have to have their meetings. I think if it was bad news, we would have hopefully heard by now. 

Has anyone received an update from their prospective programs?

I haven't heard a single thing... I thought waiting till April 15th was an adventure. At this point, this process is just becoming anti-climatic. 

• 11 months later...

I broke down last week and called one of my schools. I applied last August and had to wait until they closed their application process on February 28th. Then it was another 4-6 weeks of waiting. I broke down on the 5th week and called only for them to say that they were waiting for my transcripts....which had been in since I applied in early August *pinches bridge of nose*. So after then surfing through everything, they found it and I still had to wait for the coordinator to review my file. 8 months and 1 weeks later I was accepted.

*Wipes brow* I am so impatient and was very anxious cause I was checking my mailbox EVERYDAY.

Now I am waiting to here back from my #2 to see if I got in and if they offer me any type of money to attend.

Although I have got a very good offer, I am still waiting to hear from another school which is tied-for-top with my currently admitted one. So the wait is annoying, because even if I get an offer, I should start talking to people to find out which school I want more.

Although I have got a very good offer, I am still waiting to hear from another school which is tied-for-top with my currently admitted one. So the wait is annoying, because even if I get an offer, I should start talking to people to find out which school I want more.

My advice is to do that now. Decide whether you would accept the offer if it came through so you're not left scrambling on the 15th if it comes then.

Same here.  I've been trying to work out which I'd take IF I get off the waitlist...which is making me crazy.  Plus the decision is wildly hard.  I talked to my first school and they said if I needed a couple of extra days after the deadline I could have it.  Might be worth telling your first school, perhaps they will extend your deadline in case you get an offer on (or just after) the 15th.  Best wishes!

My advice is to do that now. Decide whether you would accept the offer if it came through so you're not left scrambling on the 15th if it comes then.

Thanks, I took your advice, talked to a friend who knew a lot about the school I am waiting for its results and now I am sure if I get the admission with enough funding, I would attend this school. Thanks a lot for your advice.

Same here.  I've been trying to work out which I'd take IF I get off the waitlist...which is making me crazy.  Plus the decision is wildly hard.  I talked to my first school and they said if I needed a couple of extra days after the deadline I could have it.  Might be worth telling your first school, perhaps they will extend your deadline in case you get an offer on (or just after) the 15th.  Best wishes!

I got past the first phase and now I know which school I will attend if offered the chance, but as there is no offer yet and Apr 15th is near, this is getting harder and harder :D I think if I don't get an offer until weekend I should contact my first school too, however it should be really hard as I had been admitted in early Feb asking for more time might seem a bit unreasonable to them :)

When I talked to the departments Assistant I was told we should hear this week. It's Friday and I haven't heard going to be a long a stressful dAy. Even though I know it's going to be positive day with amazing news

Is it possible that schools are waiting on my final transcript? I had one school call and ask when I was receiving my degree and they are now waiting for my final transcript. 

Thanks, I took your advice, talked to a friend who knew a lot about the school I am waiting for its results and now I am sure if I get the admission with enough funding, I would attend this school. Thanks a lot for your advice.

I got past the first phase and now I know which school I will attend if offered the chance, but as there is no offer yet and Apr 15th is near, this is getting harder and harder :D I think if I don't get an offer until weekend I should contact my first school too, however it should be really hard as I had been admitted in early Feb asking for more time might seem a bit unreasonable to them :)

I was admitted to my first school in January and they had no problem giving me extra time.  However, turned out I didn't need it.  I found out Friday I didn't get off the wait-list and I was able to accept my other offer.  I was VERY relieved to not have to make that decision!  I hope you hear very soon!

Is it possible to ask for an extension of the April 15th deadline ? I am an international who just applied to 3 top tiers and 1 safety school...I was rejected from 2 top tiers, accepted in one but with no funding and put on a waitlist for the safety school.

On Friday 9th April I checked my emails in the morning and saw I am now off the waitlist for the safety school, with one-year TA assistantship and tuition remission. There is "strong probability" of renewal of the assistantship and I just got a very simple letter by email asking me to accept or decline the offer by April 15th...that is only 6 days to decide!

I just had one 20 min short Skype interview early January and never went to the US. The thing is I already forgot about being accepted since I didn't hear anything from them since then...and now there is high probability I will get an offer for a permanent research job in exactly the same field of interest but in another reputed university in Europe. So I really don't know what to do...the other thing is that I was accepted in a top tier European university a few years ago, with full tuition but only half stipend. But the supervisor was weird and the lab very crappy so I decided to decline at that time. I however now have found an exciting lab in this top tier university and a great supervisor but I have no funding with my offer...and the supervisor is trying to figure out alternatives (i.e. Research Assistant/Technician Position). We have been in touch for nearly one-year now and I visited her lab.

So it is really tough to decide...on one side there is this offer from nowhere with only 6 days to decide, which seems immaterial but with at least one-year funding and on the other side there is a very concrete world with possible opportunities but yet uncertain for the PhD. The thing is I know I can be accepted in this top tier university since it is the second time I get an offer (but with no funding this time) so I wonder if I should take one of these nice jobs and re-apply in one or two years (but I'm already 28) or go for this safety school but with no idea about anything including the length of the PhD (I never received the programme prospectus that I ordered, which is not detailed online).

What would you suggest me to do ? Ask for an extension of the April 15th deadline ? Go for it or instead focus on strenghening my CV and re-applying in 1 or 2 years ?

Thanks !

Edited by Jean0001

I was notified yesterday that the admission had not yet completed and was asked my current status by the professor. She also said that the final decision will be made by 14th. How should I interpret this email? Should I still expect the possibility of getting a reject letter in the end?

I was admitted to my first school in January and they had no problem giving me extra time.  However, turned out I didn't need it.  I found out Friday I didn't get off the wait-list and I was able to accept my other offer.  I was VERY relieved to not have to make that decision!  I hope you hear very soon!

I think although you were denied the admission at the second school, I should congratulate you for going through this and knowing where you are gonna end up :)

Thanks a lot for your encouragement. I hope mine would be open to giving me more time too.

Is it possible to ask for an extension of the April 15th deadline ? I am an international who just applied to 3 top tiers and 1 safety school...I was rejected from 2 top tiers, accepted in one but with no funding and put on a waitlist for the safety school.

On Friday 9th April I checked my emails in the morning and saw I am now off the waitlist for the safety school, with one-year TA assistantship and tuition remission. There is "strong probability" of renewal of the assistantship and I just got a very simple letter by email asking me to accept or decline the offer by April 15th...that is only 6 days to decide!

I just had one 20 min short Skype interview early January and never went to the US. The thing is I already forgot about being accepted since I didn't hear anything from them since then...and now there is high probability I will get an offer for a permanent research job in exactly the same field of interest but in another reputed university in Europe. So I really don't know what to do...the other thing is that I was accepted in a top tier European university a few years ago, with full tuition but only half stipend. But the supervisor was weird and the lab very crappy so I decided to decline at that time. I however now have found an exciting lab in this top tier university and a great supervisor but I have no funding with my offer...and the supervisor is trying to figure out alternatives (i.e. Research Assistant/Technician Position). We have been in touch for nearly one-year now and I visited her lab.

So it is really tough to decide...on one side there is this offer from nowhere with only 6 days to decide, which seems immaterial but with at least one-year funding and on the other side there is a very concrete world with possible opportunities but yet uncertain for the PhD. The thing is I know I can be accepted in this top tier university since it is the second time I get an offer (but with no funding this time) so I wonder if I should take one of these nice jobs and re-apply in one or two years (but I'm already 28) or go for this safety school but with no idea about anything including the length of the PhD (I never received the programme prospectus that I ordered, which is not detailed online).

What would you suggest me to do ? Ask for an extension of the April 15th deadline ? Go for it or instead focus on strenghening my CV and re-applying in 1 or 2 years ?

Thanks !

I think you should feel happy about where you wanna spend your next 5-6 years, so if your "safety school" doesn't make you happy, you shouldn't attend it. But if you think 6 days is not enough for you to decide, I think it is reasonable to ask them for a couple of days extension.

I really don't like the idea of starting PhD when I am 30, but this is me, and if you are okay with it, the idea of getting jobs and re-applying is good too. However you should consider that it involves another year of wait and stress and .... :D

I think you should ask for extension on your 15th Apr deadline and in meantime you and your supervisor in Europe should look for alternatives there. By your deadline, you hopefully know which option is the best for you.

I was notified yesterday that the admission had not yet completed and was asked my current status by the professor. She also said that the final decision will be made by 14th. How should I interpret this email? Should I still expect the possibility of getting a reject letter in the end?

Unfortunately yes, It is still possible for a rejection, although if they had asked for your status, the chance of getting admitted is higher.

I applied to a Masters program but I haven't gotten a decision on my application. I emailed the department two weeks ago and they replied saying that the applications were still under review. Last week I emailed the adcom chair inquiring about my status but he hasn't responded yet. Many acceptances and rejections have already been released for this program.
What does it mean? Am I on the wait list? Should I email the adcom chair or the department again?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use