Ladies, what type of bag or purse do you use for school?

Student88

What should one look for in a backpack so that it's more grownup? Leather perhaps? Drawstring closure?

The difference between "grown up" and "not grown up" isn't an easy one. There's the difference between professional and not-professional, but when it comes to backpacks, that gets weird because suits and backpacks don't usually go together no matter how professional they are. We associate backpack with leisure.

I wouldn't worry too much about the idea of grownup so much as finding a pack that fits, supports you, and has the types of pockets you need. If you can find a pack with a frame (or something that works like a frame) that's always a plus. Other than that, I think it's more along the lines of finding a pack that will work with your clothes. If you intend to wear pastels, day-glo colored packs are probably not a good idea. All black packs might go with most everything, but they also suck in heat, so not a good plan if you're going to carry electronics in it during sunny weather.

My next pack will likely be Northface's Women's Surge II in that light grey they have (it has a stowable hip-belt and holds a 17" laptop). I'm looking into Kelty, Deuter, Timbuk2, and other brands that focus on packs for carrying loads rather than packs for fashion.

When I was working full time, I took public transit to work, and had plenty to carry, so I always used a backpack.  I have a very nice Eddie Bauer backpack that has lasted forever and keeps my stuff dry through rain and snow.  I'll continue to use it for grad school.  I also don't bother with a separate purse.  I just have a small wallet that I keep on me or in my backpack.

I use a leather bottom Jansport right-pack, because I take care of my shoulders. If you want a more professional looking purse for meetings or events throughout the day, you pack away a classic Longchamp bag. They fold away easily so they don't take up a lot of space in your regular backpack.

Edited by Monochrome Spring

I use a structured tote with a laptop pocket. I used to use a backpack in undergrad, but I found that not only was it ugly it didn't really help my shoulders-- in fact it encouraged me to overpack. I assigned a category of stuff to each pocket of my current tote, and I just make sure to empty them out at the end of the day. For example, the section closest to my body is only for books too tall to fit in the laptop pocket and my lunch, and I keep it empty at all other times. It's actually been an upgrade for my shoulders and for just being able to find things when I need them (for a while I was using my existing purse, which happened to be huge but wasn't intended for books).

It's great to hear from this thread that I don't care about my spine and look ridiculous, though! As long as we're discussing the personal decisions of people we don't know, let's talk about high heels and everyone's plans for work/life balance next.

Thank goodness for this post! I was considering  using my backpack from undergrad and my huge (and heavy!) purse, but I'm going to definitely start looking into/saving up for a Hershel or  Lo and Sons bag. They look really durable and cute!

Thanks to the people who've endorsed the Lo and Sons bags. I'm OBSESSED. I think the O.M.G. would be perfect for me, but the price is so expensive, I'm not sure I could justify the purchase. Part of me wants to pull the trigger and say fuck it because it's just that wonderful. I carry at cute Birkin wannabe bag from Modcloth that has been great--I can get my 15 inch Macbook Pro in there along with a glasses case, iPad, notebook, and a bottle of water, no sweat. However, I made the mistake of wearing new jeans without washing them first, and now it has lovely navy blue dye marks on it's otherwise gorgeous gray/taupe faux-leather fabric. Lament. 

TL;DR: I'm buying that O.M.G. even if I have to sell my body and soul for it. 

Yep Lo & Sons is a bit pricey but you should like them on Facebook, mine had a coupon for 20% off to make it a bit more justifiable, at least that's how I reasoned it out in my mind!

Since I'll largely be biking to school, I'm pretty sure a backpack will be my best bet unless I get one of those neat messenger bag attachment things for the back of my bike.

Edited by Maleficent999

I'm with the people who are afraid of killing their shoulders. That's why I stuck with the Cambridge satchel (long thick strap, stiff leather body meaning I can't over carry on a single shoulder). I like a good bag, but I find when I carry bigger bags with more flexible bodies, I overload my shoulder and/or snap the straps. Great for other people who can handle it, but I guess I'm not made of the same stuff. 

Anyone looking into rolling laptop bags? The best of both worlds: a load off your shoulders, and classier than a backpack. I've seen many a professor (and my own grandmother when she taught at community college) invest in these. 

it might be worth waiting till black friday to buy a Lo & Sons bag... i got mine for 30 percent off 

sound advice. I guess I'll hold off until then. I"m going to get a Hershel bag instead. Fits into my current budget and I am geeking over all of the colorways!

I'm falling for the Herschel backpacks too! I wonder how well the material can hold up to cold, snow, and rain. I'm not a fan of canvas material on anything. 

I know, I have one but I'm considering getting something else because Vancouver is very damp and rainy...

If I'm carrying a lot of stuff, I inevitably use a bookbag.  I care too much about my shoulders and back.  Backpacks are just more comfortable, and besides, people of all ages carry them - especially in my city.  A lot of urban commuters use packed-full bookbags (and also wear New Balances for the commute, lol).  I use this Vera Bradley laptop backpack; I bought it before they redesigned it, so mine has a convenient side-entry padded pocket for my laptop and a separate main pocket where I store my iPad and notebooks; I use the front for pens and cords.  It also has a convenient strap so I can put it on top of luggage.  I wanted to buy a new one, but they redesigned it with the laptop pocket inside the top of the bag and I wish they hadn't.

When I'm just carrying a few things - like my computer and a notebook - I use a sturdy quilted shoulder bag.  This one, also Vera Bradley, is very similar to the one I use (I think they may have discontinued mine).  I like Vera Bradley's totes because they tend to be spacious with lots of pockets for organizing, and because the straps are typically wide and sewed all the way down the sides and sometimes around the bottoms of her totes, making them easier to carry when full.  They also have a special laptop tote with a padded pocket for your laptop, but that one is actually smaller than my bag and the straps are different.

I've tried a BUNCH of different backpacks and messenger bags and these just happen to be the best for me.  I do have a Longchamps Le Pilage bag, but I don't carry my laptop around in it anymore - far too heavy.  I use it when I need a big purse.  The second best backpack I ever had was DaKine bags, which are designed for skateboarders and other "extreme sports" athletes.  I really liked those because they had a LOT of pockets, they were big and they were pretty sturdy.  I've still found my VB backpack to be sturdier/last longer than the DaKine ones - I went through two different DaKine backpacks in ~3 years, but I have had the same VB backpack for the last 2-3 years and there's only a bit of wear on the bottom.  But I am really hard on my backpacks.

Most of my friends carry Herschel backpacks.  We live in NYC so we're outside a lot, and they seem to hold up pretty well to the weather.  They seem to be kind of small, though, and they only have one big pocket and one smaller exterior pocket from what I can tell.  I am also not a fan of backpacks that close with a drawstring top or buckles - seems cumbersome, especially for airline security lines.

Edited by juilletmercredi

If I'm carrying a lot of stuff, I inevitably use a bookbag.  I care too much about my shoulders and back.  Backpacks are just more comfortable, and besides, people of all ages carry them - especially in my city.  A lot of urban commuters use packed-full bookbags (and also wear New Balances for the commute, lol).  I use this Vera Bradley laptop backpack; I bought it before they redesigned it, so mine has a convenient side-entry padded pocket for my laptop and a separate main pocket where I store my iPad and notebooks; I use the front for pens and cords.  It also has a convenient strap so I can put it on top of luggage.  I wanted to buy a new one, but they redesigned it with the laptop pocket inside the top of the bag and I wish they hadn't.

When I'm just carrying a few things - like my computer and a notebook - I use a sturdy quilted shoulder bag.  This one, also Vera Bradley, is very similar to the one I use (I think they may have discontinued mine).  I like Vera Bradley's totes because they tend to be spacious with lots of pockets for organizing, and because the straps are typically wide and sewed all the way down the sides and sometimes around the bottoms of her totes, making them easier to carry when full.  They also have a special laptop tote with a padded pocket for your laptop, but that one is actually smaller than my bag and the straps are different.

I've tried a BUNCH of different backpacks and messenger bags and these just happen to be the best for me.  I do have a Longchamps Le Pilage bag, but I don't carry my laptop around in it anymore - far too heavy.  I use it when I need a big purse.  The second best backpack I ever had was DaKine bags, which are designed for skateboarders and other "extreme sports" athletes.  I really liked those because they had a LOT of pockets, they were big and they were pretty sturdy.  I've still found my VB backpack to be sturdier/last longer than the DaKine ones - I went through two different DaKine backpacks in ~3 years, but I have had the same VB backpack for the last 2-3 years and there's only a bit of wear on the bottom.  But I am really hard on my backpacks.

Most of my friends carry Herschel backpacks.  We live in NYC so we're outside a lot, and they seem to hold up pretty well to the weather.  They seem to be kind of small, though, and they only have one big pocket and one smaller exterior pocket from what I can tell.  I am also not a fan of backpacks that close with a drawstring top or buckles - seems cumbersome, especially for airline security lines.

My herschel has three outside pockets, and a lined/cushioned laptop slot in the main compartment. Mine is the "Pop Quiz" style, but looks like the Heritage and the Little America bags also have laptop slots. 

There are computer forum threads devoted to how difficult it is to find a backpack that will carry the laptop I have. I have to use a backpack; the uneven weight distribution of a messenger bag affects my posture. I have an Everki Beacon backpack. It's got plenty of space, a dedicated laptop compartment, and a water resistant cover. They also have a limited lifetime warranty.

I'm a fan of messengers too. I dislike backpacks since I'm short and most backpacks are too long or hang too low to actually be good for my back. They tend to make me hunch so I usually carry them with one strap anyway. Messengers are fairly decent at weight distribution if you carry them high on the hip instead of flopping low. Timbuk2 also has those cross the body sling type bags that are a cross between backpack and messenger. Those actually look like they'd be great.

But my plan is just to not carry so much. Paper notebook, tablet, water, wallet, any required reading. That's it for me. I love new text books that are split into volumes. If I get a big course reader, I hack it up into smaller chunks and use gaff tape as a new binding. Crossing my fingers I don't get assigned huge books!

I love messenger bags, but always found them too small. Then i got the Bag of Holding from thinkgeek and it is my best friend. I've been using it for about 2 years and it holds EVERYTHING! You can find the original one here. There is also a more professional looking leather version here. More recently though I've been using their "purse" version, the Handbag of Holding, and it is wonderful! There is a padded pocket in the center which actually manages to fit my laptop (an 11" ultrabook) and a bunch of pockets for other stuff. It can be found here. The only thing I don't like about the handbag version is that there is only a small magnetic clasp to hold it closed, and it isn't very strong.

Wow, I sound like an infomercial. I swear I'm not getting paid by thinkgeek, I just really like these bags. Both the boyfriend and I use them (he is a paramedic and uses it for paperwork, supplies, and entertainment and I currently work as a private tutor) as well as several of our friends and we all swear by them. So, yeah, that's my two cents...

Tote bags:

Longchamp, Vineyard Vines, and LL Bean.

I have all 3 - they're all amazing bags and very durable. Vineyard Vines has the most structure, LL Bean is a better price and lifetime warranty. Longchamp is trendy right now.

Tote bags:

Longchamp, Vineyard Vines, and LL Bean.

I have all 3 - they're all amazing bags and very durable. Vineyard Vines has the most structure, LL Bean is a better price and lifetime warranty. Longchamp is trendy right now.

I love the Longchamp ones! I'm on their website right now--but I can't figure out how to see the price?

I've had my Longchamp for four years now. They are amazing bags and have a lifetime warranty. I've actually purchased one for my thesis advisor that I'm giving to her today as a "thank you" for all she's done for me throughout my MA. Wonderful bags. Also, for those of you with a slightly bigger budget and who will be hauling back and forth from home to campus, I purchased a Lo & Sons back per recommendation of this thread--it will be arriving today. I can review it if people want. 

I've had my Longchamp for four years now. They are amazing bags and have a lifetime warranty. I've actually purchased one for my thesis advisor that I'm giving to her today as a "thank you" for all she's done for me throughout my MA. Wonderful bags. Also, for those of you with a slightly bigger budget and who will be hauling back and forth from home to campus, I purchased a Lo & Sons back per recommendation of this thread--it will be arriving today. I can review it if people want. 

Which one did your order the OG or OMG?  Looking to get one too.  Was thinking OMG cause they said the OG was huge?????? Please let us know.