Michigan Beer - Isn't it the best!?!

personalityresearcher

We have Founders, Bells, Dark Horse, Shorts, I like Arbor Brewing... New Holland is ok....I'm probably forgetting something...what's in Montana?

Ooh, I like Founders' Centennial! I'm not sure I've had anything from the rest. Montana has a ridiculous amount of breweries; it's on par with Oregon in the Portland & Bend areas. Big Sky is the most famous, but for the most part, there are lots of smaller craft brewers who operate on a local, regional, or state level. In Missoula proper, we've got at least 5 breweries, not including the Big Sky one, which is further out of town anyhow. We have lots of brewfests throughout the year, & even the one in the middle of winter still gets 20+ in-state brewers. It's awesome!

I had the Two Hearted Ale both times that I interviewed in Michigan and really enjoyed it. Any recommendations for breweries to check out?

You guys also have Jolly Pumpkin! So good.

I had the Two Hearted Ale both times that I interviewed in Michigan and really enjoyed it. Any recommendations for breweries to check out?

You guys also have Jolly Pumpkin! So good.

Old German is neat. I'm a fan of the porter.

I think Dark Horse is my favorite.

Edited by personalityresearcher

Ann Arbor is IMO the best area in Michigan, so there's plenty to have fun with around there (also relatively close to Detroit).  If you are up for traversing distances there's everything from camping, to golfing, to boating, to bridg-ing?  As it will be summer, I would recommend strongly getting to one of the many, many shores and enjoying the lakes.

And yes, here in Kalamazoo Bell's is the best, and well, it's Friday at 8 so if you'll excuse me I think I'll head down there about now.

Spending some time at one of the many lakes is my favorite thing to do in the summer.  Ann Arbor is not far from Detroit, I suggest going to Eastern Market or a Detroit Tigers game.  If you want to take a road trip, northern Michigan is a few hours away and is gorgeous.  There are lots of concerts and festivals that go on during the summer as well. Check out the Metro Times, it's a weekly paper that will have lots of suggestions and event schedules. 

What are your favorite things to do in MI in the summer? I'll be doing research full time this summer in my new lab, but hope to get out and explore as much as possible.

Tabor Hill has good wines and a great restaurant.  That's in Buchanan (SE Michigan).  Round Barn down there is also cute and fun.  They also make beer and spirits.  But, the end-all-be-all really is Traverse City.  So many good wines to try!  Also, camping and bike riding!

Sorry, but I have to represent Oregon craft beer here - there is some pretty AMAZING stuff out there. Full Sail, Ninkasi, Widmer Bros, Deschutes, Double Mountain, Caldera …. so many good lagers and IPAs!!

And I'll have to represent Wisconsin craft beer (and don't forget the cheese!).  Michigan is pretty good though, I'll admit.

I have one month left up here in the Midwest before I move to the south...I'll definitely be stocking up on Wisconsin beer.

I like craft beer from all these states mentioned but, honestly, I would love a job in Michigan.  My BF and I have thought it ideal since we love the state and it's close to my family and a day's drive from his, which is good for us.  It's also close to Canada for research purposes and the cycling there is AMAZING.  But the more pics I see from my friend in Bozeman make me at least think it's worth a trip out there to visit!

Huge Michigan beer fan here. The best breweries are Founders, Bell's, and Short's (which only distributes in Michigan). Breweries that are smaller (and therefore harder to find) but still terrific are Greenbush, Dark Horse, Kuhnhenn, and Jolly Pumpkin. Right Brain and Griffin Claw are both pretty good as well.

If anybody here is reallllly serious about Michigan beer, tickets go on sale for the largest beer festival in Michigan this Thursday morning. It's in Ypsilanti in late July and it's absolutely amazing. I would definitely recommend buying tickets well in advance of the event because it's guaranteed to sell out. http://www.mibeer.com/beer-festivals

Edit: I should also add that Michigan is in the middle of a huge mead kick right now as well. B. Nektar Meadery, Schramm's Meadery, and Kuhnhenn are potentially the three best meaderies in the entire world and they're all in metro Detroit. You all should try some out if you're able to find it in stores.

Edited by talpostal

Huge Michigan beer fan here. The best breweries are Founders, Bell's, and Short's (which only distributes in Michigan). Breweries that are smaller (and therefore harder to find) but still terrific are Greenbush, Dark Horse, Kuhnhenn, and Jolly Pumpkin. Right Brain and Griffin Claw are both pretty good as well.

If anybody here is reallllly serious about Michigan beer, tickets go on sale for the largest beer festival in Michigan this Thursday morning. It's in Ypsilanti in late July and it's absolutely amazing. I would definitely recommend buying tickets well in advance of the event because it's guaranteed to sell out. http://www.mibeer.com/beer-festivals

Edit: I should also add that Michigan is in the middle of a huge mead kick right now as well. B. Nektar Meadery, Schramm's Meadery, and Kuhnhenn are potentially the three best meaderies in the entire world and they're all in metro Detroit. You all should try some out if you're able to find it in stores.

Ever had Arbor Brewing Mr. Delicious Double IPA? Or Grizzley Peak Porter? I'm super into those right now.