Fall 2015 Applicants

Friday.  I'm wondering if they do two rounds of interviews and if I need to get spruced up for it. 

I would spruce up a little bit. No need to bust out the jacket and tie, but you know...wash your shirt, no liquor bottles in the background, etc.

Did anyone else here apply for U of T's anthro PhD program? Forgive me for not reviewing all 18 pages of posting history. :P

I'm a current MA student there, but it would be nice to know if anyone else outside the program (who is part of this forum) is hoping to attend U of T.

Friday. I'm wondering if they do two rounds of interviews and if I need to get spruced up for it.

2 interviews seems v. unlikely.

Nice sweater, no pants. They will never know, and you will be extra comfortable!

Unless its freezing where you are like where I am, then, nice sweater, three pairs of ugly but warm pants.

2 interviews seems v. unlikely.

Nice sweater, no pants. They will never know, and you will be extra comfortable!

Unless its freezing where you are like where I am, then, nice sweater, three pairs of ugly but warm pants.

Its cold.  Ill keep my pants on.   

Does anyone know if they invite applicants living outside of the US to interview weekends?  Or do they only invite people living in country?    :rolleyes:

I applied to archaeology programs as an international student, and all three interview weekends I went to were fully-funded by the respective universities :)

Edited by Melian4

Hahah, well good luck everyone, with or without pants! 

Do you guys have to make a presentation with the interview? What are you expecting?

According to the email I received they want to sus out who I am, where I've been, where I want to go and what I want my project to look like. 

Yeah, i think there will be a similar thing at my interview too. We have to make a ppt presentation >The only thing i dont understand is from there, how will they decide who they will keep and who they wont..I wonder if they refer to the original application more or the in person impression more? What do you guys think?

Somebody was Googling me from Cambridge! I wonder if it is someone at MIT?! Historically, they send out interview invites around 2/4...so a bit early, but maybe a POI?

Anyone else having the pleasure of freaking out every time you get an Academia.edu notification? Oy.

Somebody was Googling me from Cambridge! I wonder if it is someone at MIT?! Historically, they send out interview invites around 2/4...so a bit early, but maybe a POI?

Anyone else having the pleasure of freaking out every time you get an Academia.edu notification? Oy.

I jump a little bit but they have all been false alarms.  I check my analytics three or four times a day right now.  Its kinda pathetic. 

I'm nervous about my interview tomorrow.  What happens if my brain shuts down and I can't put sentences together or say fuck every other word?  I'm rough around the edges should I play that up as an asset cause it's not like I can hide it?  O shit, o shit, o shit...

I jump a little bit but they have all been false alarms.  I check my analytics three or four times a day right now.  Its kinda pathetic. 

I'm nervous about my interview tomorrow.  What happens if my brain shuts down and I can't put sentences together or say fuck every other word?  I'm rough around the edges should I play that up as an asset cause it's not like I can hide it?  O shit, o shit, o shit...

You've got this. They're bringing you in because they want you in their program. They're all rooting for you, and we are too! 

Thats how I feel - that i will freeze and make myself look like i am having a mild form of seizure . My interview is on the 26th. 

What is it that you mean by "rough around the edges" ? 

I will cross my fingers for you today and tomorrow! Let us know how it goes.

I survived my skype chit chat.  Now back to waiting.  

Thats how I feel - that i will freeze and make myself look like i am having a mild form of seizure . My interview is on the 26th. 

What is it that you mean by "rough around the edges" ? 

I will cross my fingers for you today and tomorrow! Let us know how it goes.

By rough around the edges I mean a big beard, hand tattoos that cannot be hidden and that I'm not your "traditional" student.  

Now that the deadline has passed for a big chunk of my programs (1/15) is it reasonable to start checking my email 10 times a day?

@smg: Glad you survived your interview!  A beard and tattoos shouldn't hold you back.  This is anthropology, not law school! :P

I survived my skype chit chat.  Now back to waiting.  

By rough around the edges I mean a big beard, hand tattoos that cannot be hidden and that I'm not your "traditional" student.  

Congrats! How was it? What you expected or ....? 

Don't worry about rough around the edges,  this is anthropology, people want to see non "traditional" , right? 

Congrats! How was it? What you expected or ....? 

Don't worry about rough around the edges,  this is anthropology, people want to see non "traditional" , right? 

I didn't have any expectations that it would be one way or another. I was meeting two new people for the first time to have a semi-professionalized discussion about my intellectual obsessions and academic desires.  It was odd.  I don't have those types of conversations regularly let alone with folks who can radically alter your life by saying yay or nay. It was what it was. 

Is that what they want to see?

Don't stress that at all. I have a finger tattoo and an 8-9" beard. No one bats an eye regardless of the university they are at/from.

How do you know they were Googling you?  From your academia.edu analytics, or did you set up a Google Alert?

... It's probably better for everyone's mental health if they don't know about any other ways to waste their time trying to figure out everything that's going on at their prospective institutions...  lol  :)

Well, it's nearly 5am and I've been lurking on GradCafe for about four hours, so it's time to join the fray. I applied to 10 sociocultural/medical anthro programs. My research interests are based in South Asia (the subcontinent, specifically Nepal) and are mostly to do with religious approaches to death and dying, and their effect on the development and delivery of end-of-life/palliative and hospice care.

Stats:

GPA: 3.66 (can't remember major GPA but around 3.7)

GRE: 168 Verbal, 145 Math, 5.0 AWA

No MA; fieldwork and research experience (including a Fulbright research grant); no real publications (4th author on one and "mentions" in two others)

The application process was super draining, and I'm just relieved to have it over with. Now the anxiety is starting to set in - mostly about either getting in nowhere or getting in and having to stay out of academia because of financial issues. Any offer with no funding would be essentially the same as a rejection. But the prospect of a career studying and researching what I love is too exciting not to give it a shot...

Good luck, everyone!

Edited by mondinec

Congrats to everyone who has gotten admitted so far and the new UT austin admit(s) on the results board! Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting (impatiently), like me!