Fall 2015 Applicants

I just received e-mail from Harvard Graduate Programme Administrator:

"As part of the admissions process, we are conducting brief, informal Skype interviews tomorrow from 11:00 am – 3:00pm EST. The interview should last approximately 15 minutes."

It doesn't say who the interview will be with. Is this normal? If it's a POI it would be good to know which one so that I can prepare. Also, what can they learn about me in 15 minutes? I'm hoping that this is a good sign...

I remembering seeing someone say that Stanford did "rapid fire" interviews with candidates (some year in the past), but I'm not sure if they were via Skype or in person.

If you can't find out who they're with, I'd say focus on where you fit in, i.e., knowing about the profs you mentioned in your SOP/profs whose work is relevant to yours.  Why would they expect you to know a whole lot about the others at this point?

Side note, but I find this sort of thing really annoying:

"As part of the admissions process, we are conducting brief, informal Skype interviews..."

So, they're part of the admissions process - but they're informal? What does that even mean?

I agree DanJackson,

But has anyone requested an interview or skype type meeting? I want to visit the departments, knowing that it will help me, but I'm nowhere close to the schools.

I guess the whole having/not having an interview can give you an idea of where you fall in the applicant pool right? 

I think informal just means that they are not looking to micro-analyze your research proposal with you but that they want to meet you and match a face/personality with the application they get. By saying it's informal they may want to take away some pressure - not working though... but I get the approach.

FYI - a friend called Emory today to inquire and they have extended all interviews already, so if you applied and haven't heard, it's almost definitely a no.

Edited by mondinec

How do you guys feel about contacting your POI to ask for an application update? I had talked with my POI quite a bit in person and via email during the fall, and am itching to find out if I'll get an interview invite or where they are in the process, if invites have gone out, if they have a short list, etc.

I keep telling myself not to do this but the waiting is so painful…. 

How do you guys feel about contacting your POI to ask for an application update? I had talked with my POI quite a bit in person and via email during the fall, and am itching to find out if I'll get an interview invite or where they are in the process, if invites have gone out, if they have a short list, etc.

Pain is part of the process.  I think it's best not to contact any POI's at this point in the game (especially since it's still so early).  They will get in touch if you get in.  Congrats on the acceptance and interview. 

I think it is way too early. Some schools have not even started for the term yet, so it is unlikely that many committees have made their shortlists. I would try and stick it out as long as you can. Congrats on your good news so far!

I think it is way too early. 

Forget "too early"--it's a really bad idea to pester POIs about your application. At this point, if they have any news for you, they'll let you know. It's easy to come up with reasons why it might seem like a good idea to reach out and "check in," but it is not. Ever.

I recommend digging into some good TV to calm your nerves and waiting it out. You've done what you can at this point, now it's their turn to be in touch with you.

Forget "too early"--it's a really bad idea to pester POIs about your application. At this point, if they have any news for you, they'll let you know. It's easy to come up with reasons why it might seem like a good idea to reach out and "check in," but it is not. Ever.

I recommend digging into some good TV to calm your nerves and waiting it out. You've done what you can at this point, now it's their turn to be in touch with you.

I agree but with the caveat that if you are waiting on one school and coming up on the deadline to decide for another school (which shouldn't happen but sometimes does), then its ok to let the first school know that you have a deadline. Otherwise, never a good idea.

Forget "too early"--it's a really bad idea to pester POIs about your application.

I agree but with the caveat that if you are waiting on one school and coming up on the deadline to decide for another school (which shouldn't happen but sometimes does), then its ok to let the first school know that you have a deadline. Otherwise, never a good idea.

On second thought, I'm going to agree with the posters who think it's never a good idea to get in touch. Yes, in SOME cases (like Daykid mentioned) there might be a reason to check in, but otherwise they will come to you. Hopefully they WILL get in touch, but nagging isn't going to do anything. 

I also second the TV binge watching idea. I am finishing my THIRD season of Top Chef since turning in my applications.  B)

I voted this down when I meant to vote it up. ah shit.

On second thought, I'm going to agree with the posters who think it's never a good idea to get in touch. Yes, in SOME cases (like Daykid mentioned) there might be a reason to check in, but otherwise they will come to you. Hopefully they WILL get in touch, but nagging isn't going to do anything. 

I also second the TV binge watching idea. I am finishing my THIRD season of Top Chef since turning in my applications.  B)

I'm also binging on the idiot box.  The Criterion Collection is on Hulu and I'm slamming it back. 

If you have established relationship/rapport with your POI, there isn't any harm in reaching out to ask them about your application IF have a REASON.

But they'll make an offer or they won't - they know you applied. The real thing is once you have a few offers, how long you can get them to wait to hear your decision, you may at that point need to reach out to some schools and tell them that you need an update because you have offers you're considering.

Truth is, being offered a place in a PhD program is being offered a research job. You aren't a powerless subject of their whims, you're choosing where you want to work as much as they are choosing you - and at the end of the day if your POI is annoyed by you reaching out to them, how great do you think it will be to actually work with them?

Don't take the process too lightly, how they behave during the process tells you A LOT about how they will be once you are actually there working with them. Don't be afraid to turn down an offer if it's not a good fit, if they're jerks - don't approach this with a culture of scarcity, you might be talking about 8 years of your life with these people, make sure they're awesome, supportive, understanding, and a good fit with your style!

Hello! I applied to 4 anthropology programs, and am now waiting like most of the rest of you. I haven't been active on the board prior to this, but I wanted to chime in on the "should I contact my potential PI" discussion. I think DanJackson hit the nail on the head. You are an adult applying to a job, and there's no reason you can't reach out to your potential supervisor if you have a reason to do so (a good test for necessity is to type out the email, and then read it as if you were the PI receiving it). If doing so were to cost you your position in that person's lab (and really, it probably won't), you most likely wouldn't want to work with them anyway. Anyway, thanks for all the postings here, it's been a great resource while I wait things out. 

Thanks for this - it makes a lot of sense. I wrote an email last week, telling a POI at a school i already applied to that i found a collection that i might work with, and it is very essential for my project. I wrote them in the " i just want to inform you" tone. 

...i didnt ask a question, or imply that i needed to hear back from them. Do you think this is harmful in any way? Pushy? 

Long time lurker! I am one of the UOregon cultural admits, also interviewed for U of Minnesota last week in a very intimidating Skype interview. I am losing it waiting to hear from the other 5 schools I applied to-- checking my email far too many times a day (I'm sure you can all relate). 

Long time lurker! I am one of the UOregon cultural admits, also interviewed for U of Minnesota last week in a very intimidating Skype interview. I am losing it waiting to hear from the other 5 schools I applied to-- checking my email far too many times a day (I'm sure you can all relate). 

Congrats on UOregon and the UMinn interview.

How was the interview intimidating?