FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

Hi everyone. It's my first time on the forum. It's the end of another week so I guess that means I won't be checking my email inbox as often :wacko:

For those of you accepted or waitlisted at Northwestern, have you heard anything about visit week? I know that if I haven't been contacted by Northwestern by now, the probability that I am rejected is 99.9%. I am holding onto that 0.1% since I have not received an official rejection letter. The waiting part is so tough!

Also, those who have applied to Canadian schools: Has anyone heard anything from Simon Fraser or UBC?

Hi everyone. It's my first time on the forum. It's the end of another week so I guess that means I won't be checking my email inbox as often :wacko:

For those of you accepted or waitlisted at Northwestern, have you heard anything about visit week? I know that if I haven't been contacted by Northwestern by now, the probability that I am rejected is 99.9%. I am holding onto that 0.1% since I have not received an official rejection letter. The waiting part is so tough!

Also, those who have applied to Canadian schools: Has anyone heard anything from Simon Fraser or UBC?

Let me PM you, I do have some information.

Anyone going to the UCSC open house? Seems like they sent out open house invitations over email and did unofficial admittance notices over phone, which is what happened for me and at least 1 other person I know.

Stanford didn't even bother to email regarding the rejection this year. Had to find out about it by checking out the online application. 

I think they will eventually throw you an email titled something like "Stanford Decision Posted" that will simply direct you to the online application system. So you won't be less disappointed if you actually had received any email. I'm just sharing my experience from 2 years ago. Oh well.

Anyone has idea about Georgetown? Their admission is quite random this year.

I wonder if each concentration have their own schedule on it, or they have already sent out their results. Should I e-mail them and ask about their timetable or plan......?

So convenient for CUNY this year!!! I'm jealous :P

Yes! Super exciting! :) You should come, SD isn't that far - Early Registration ends tomorrow....... :) (and also, the program is now available online)

Edited by beccamayworth

Yes! Super exciting! :) You should come, SD isn't that far - Early Registration ends tomorrow....... :) (and also, the program is now available online)

I was originally going to go, but I'm visiting 7 places this month and I think I'll just be too dead to travel even a little bit :P

To the poster who submitted the MIT rejection news on the admissions result board, I'm curious if you had any missing parts in your application or something. It is really weird that rejection emails are sent out before acceptance notifications are.

Edited by Omnium

To the poster who submitted the MIT rejection news on the admissions result board, I'm curious if you had any missing parts in your application or something. It is really weird that rejection emails are sent out before acceptance notifications are.

To the poster who responded to my inquiry, thanks for the info! And I hope you hear back from other schools with sweeter news.

Does anybody know if there is any school in US/Canada still accepting applications? I only applied to two US schools (UPenn [rejected] and CUNY [still waiting]) because I was more focused in European programs (Leiden [accepted], Porto [accepted] and Bern [waiting]), but maybe I should have more alternatives in North America...

To the poster who responded to my inquiry, thanks for the info! And I hope you hear back from other schools with sweeter news.

From what this poster is telling us they should already have shortlists of candidates for each subfiels, so also according to what goldheartmountaintop and carmen7077 told us previously, we can probably expect -hope- to hear from them by the end of the week...I guess...

I'm not really expecting an admission (although one can never know),, but I'd really like to start officially cross off programs.

From what this poster is telling us they should already have shortlists of candidates for each subfiels, so also according to what goldheartmountaintop and carmen7077 told us previously, we can probably expect -hope- to hear from them by the end of the week...I guess...

That is precisely what I was thinking/guessing.

I'm not really expecting an admission (although one can never know),, but I'd really like to start officially cross off programs.

But you can certainly hope for it! Right? It is still early for many programs to send out ``official'' admissions notifications, and therefore we could well be waitlisted at places from which we did not hear back yet! Being waitlisted is less painful than being rejected, it's like a pat on the back... just without any substance.

Edited by Omnium

Does anybody know if there is any school in US/Canada still accepting applications? I only applied to two US schools (UPenn [rejected] and CUNY [still waiting]) because I was more focused in European programs (Leiden [accepted], Porto [accepted] and Bern [waiting]), but maybe I should have more alternatives in North America...

If you're looking at PhD programs in theoretical linguistics, I think you're probably out of luck without much margin of error, as far as US programs are concerned. Looking at the level of programs that you have applied for admissions, I doubt you would be interested in earning a degree at unknown places which *might* still be accepting applications. I don't know much about Canadian programs.

However, I have always thought that Leiden has a great program. Well, it depends on your interest, of course, but I don't think I would be worried if I were in your position.

I'm supposed to visit Maryland tomorrow but I'm starting to get worried....I'm flying from San Diego to Boston to DC, I hope neither of my flights get canceled because of the crazy weather in Boston!!!

I'm supposed to visit Maryland tomorrow but I'm starting to get worried....I'm flying from San Diego to Boston to DC, I hope neither of my flights get canceled because of the crazy weather in Boston!!!

Good Luck!

The weather in Boston is pretty bad these days, and it seems another snow storm is going to visit tomorrow.