2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Has anyone heard from UF IDP? I work at UF and I don't believe anyone has heard anything. They supposedly have an interview weekend 2/1-2/3. Let me know if you have heard from them!!

I work here too (Hi!), and they haven't sent anything yet. Grad students told me they usually send invites the first week of feb, so the February 1-3 dates is probably a mistake. I think it's actually March 1-3.

I work here too (Hi!), and they haven't sent anything yet. Grad students told me they usually send invites the first week of feb, so the February 1-3 dates is probably a mistake. I think it's actually March 1-3.

Yeah I was talking to my PI about that date and he said that they have been having some administrative issues so they might be a little behind.  I just wanted to make sure that was the case! Thanks!

Not even UW has gotten back to me yet. I have two interviews (Boulder, UCLA) but haven't heard back from Harvard, UW, and the four other schools I've applied to. I assume they'll get to the rejections after they've finished with dealing with their "real" candidates. It would be nice to just hear something at all, though. You'd think a standard letter of rejection would be the easy part: "Dear XYZ, we don't want you, have a nice life, thanks for the app $$$ sucker." Or something like that.

Eh. Not necessarily. I technically still haven't been rejected from one of the schools I interviewed at last year. The last I checked I was on their "hold" list.

Hii, I am absolutely new to this forum. 

I am an International Doctor with a MBBS degree who want to apply for PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology before pursuing MD and work to work in translation. My profile is not stellar with 109/120 in TOEFL and GPA of 4(Liberal system used) . I am yet to give GRE. I have 9 weeks research experience in a Laboratory in India and now I am going for a yearlong Research Trainee in Harvard University.I have 6 publications but all are clinically oriented and not Laboratory Research.I was wondering to apply after 5 months of research in Harvard for PhD with GRE. Do you think I stand a chance to do PhD from good Universities mostly IvY league places with my CV??

Thanks a ton!!I I apologize for the inconvenience caused. 

I'm not sure why there's an emphasis placed on "mostly Ivy League places," as fit matters more than general prestige, but competitive programs will usually expect at minimum one full year of research, if not more - I don't think 5 months is adequate at all. That being said, I would strongly recommend getting in contact with someone who can better evaluate your application as an international applicant - since you're going to be a research trainee, hopefully someone at the lab you'll be working at will be better equipped to answer your questions than the members of this forum.

Has anyone heard from UF IDP?  I work at UF and I don't believe anyone has heard anything.  They supposedly have an interview weekend 2/1-2/3.  Let me know if you have heard from them!!

Uh, wouldn't you be among the first to know?

Hii, I am absolutely new to this forum. I am an International Doctor with a MBBS degree who want to apply for PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology before pursuing MD and work to work in translation. My profile is not stellar with 109/120 in TOEFL and GPA of 4(Liberal system used) . I am yet to give GRE. I have 9 weeks research experience in a Laboratory in India and now I am going for a yearlong Research Trainee in Harvard University.I have 6 publications but all are clinically oriented and not Laboratory Research.I was wondering to apply after 5 months of research in Harvard for PhD with GRE. Do you think I stand a chance to do PhD from good Universities mostly IvY league places with my CV??Thanks a ton!!I I apologize for the inconvenience caused. 

I think blinchik makes some good points. I will just add one thing since you say you are planning to pursue a MD after the PhD, you should really be looking at MD-PhD Dual degree training instead. You would probably be a more suitable applicant for this sort of program and it would save you a lot of time then to do them separately.

I'm in a different department and my PI didn't event know.  I just wanted to know if they have started sending out interview invites.

Couldn't you just walk over to that department and ask point-blank?  Not being snarky here, but seriously, you are on the same campus.   

For anyone waiting to hear back from Yale BBS, I emailed a couple days ago and this was their reply:

"Domestic applicants have already been invited for interviews, and international students will be interviewed by phone in February and March. Once final admissions decisions have been made, you will receive an email alerting you to log into your online application to check your status."

They weren't any more specific than that regarding international applicants and invitations but thought I should just let everyone know.

I think its easy to think that its a common courtesy to send out rejection letters ASAP, but honestly the more i think about it the more i feel bad for these adcoms. they're dealing with hundreds and hundreds of applications, with applicants constantly calling the office, sending e-mails, and nagging them to find out when invites were sent out. It seems like it would be easy to just weed out the people invited for interviews and work with them for the few months leading up to interviews than spend a lot more time taking the names of those rejected and sending e-mails. Just on a organizational level it must be hell to keep track of all the applicants, the interviewees, etc. I really feel bad for these guys because this is a very emotional process and theyre probably the butt of a lot of angst coming from the applicants. Every time I've called their offices they always sound so tired, so I feel for them!

Not all programs handle applications the same but it seems more typical for the applications to be handled by the program director directly or the by the "grad school" prior to being sent to adcomms.  Adcomms then send their decisions back to the program director's office, who in turn either sends out the actual news, or forwards the decision to the "grad school" to send out. I seriously doubt anyone on the adcomm actually deals with calls, emails, and questions sent to the "office".  That is what the program director and admissions offices are for.  

Not all programs handle applications the same but it seems more typical for the applications to be handled by the program director directly or the by the "grad school" prior to being sent to adcomms.  Adcomms then send their decisions back to the program director's office, who in turn either sends out the actual news, or forwards the decision to the "grad school" to send out. I seriously doubt anyone on the adcomm actually deals with calls, emails, and questions sent to the "office".  That is what the program director and admissions offices are for.  

Given that virtually all apps at this point are electronic, it would take all of a few seconds to update an applicant's status throughout the process. It's a bit ridiculous imo to not notify applicants that they have been rejected. 

Given that virtually all apps at this point are electronic, it would take all of a few seconds to update an applicant's status throughout the process. It's a bit ridiculous imo to not notify applicants that they have been rejected. 

i would reason that more often than not all of the electronic app stuff goes through the graduate school and not the program.  it may be a lot simpler to first send out your invites and acceptances before telling the graduate school, all remaining apps can be sent the official rejection.  the program and its coordinators and faculty are not the ones sitting there marking it as "rejected send official response" its someone else.  

If you know the situation and can guess what your outcome is at this point, then I don't see what impact the official rejection has if you are so certain you are getting rejected.  

One would think it would be that easy.  There is still the chain of command, though.  

Besides, if grad programs sent out rejection letters immediately it would suggest to those who did not receive one (yet) that they are in the "yes" pile, which may not necessarily be true. 

Was the UCSD Biology program deadline always today?

Also does anyone know the interview dates for BMS and Biology at UCSD?

Update: just saw that Biology dates are Jan 29-30 and Feb 9-10 on the website calendar

Edited by ImmunoXX

One would think it would be that easy.  There is still the chain of command, though.  

Besides, if grad programs sent out rejection letters immediately it would suggest to those who did not receive one (yet) that they are in the "yes" pile, which may not necessarily be true. 

Some people have already received rejections now, and many to-be rejected applicants have yet to hear anything. This too, may give a false impression, there is no difference. 

The ones who were rejected first were simply people who were at the top of the pile and got looked at first.

Update: just saw that Biology dates are Jan 29-30 and Feb 9-10 on the website calendar

My app is also showing the weird deadline. It's happened to me a few other times, actually - not sure what it means, but it may reflect some processing step in the application. 

Considering the interview dates are so close, I'm not holding my breath. It looks like it may be a rejection for me. 

Some people have already received rejections now, and many to-be rejected applicants have yet to hear anything. This too, may give a false impression, there is no difference. 

The ones who were rejected first were simply people who were at the top of the pile and got looked at first.

Yeah, I know. 

I went through this process last year.  In many ways it is better to receive a rejection ASAP.  It is easier to get past it and move on.  I recieved my last two rejections late in the game: one at the end of March and one April 13.  Talk about torture. 

Does anyone know the BMS dates?

Anyone know if UCLA IMMP is done with their invites?