2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

I think my POI has RA funding but I don't know what to expect. At this point my morale is pretty low.

Ah you're lucky my POI didn't get the grant he applied for so I'll have to compete with the others for TA spots 

Another update: The senior faculty at FSU are currently grading the applications and other faculty members will be able to pick from the ranking in 2-3 weeks. 

I feel like no one else is applying to my programs this year haha. Maybe that's a good sign (less competition!  ;) )

Good luck to all you UT peeps!

Congrats on the good news everyone!!

I haven't heard a peep from any of my remaining schools, which is starting to make me nervous. I had a very nice phone conservation with my POI at UT back in November and he asked me to let him know when I got my application completed. But I haven't heard anything from him since then. Similar situation for my POIs at ASU who seemed very interested in December, but complete radio silence since then. I know it's still somewhat early, but not getting invited to visit doesn't seem like a good sign. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Still waiting on my official letter from UNM (still doesn't feel real!), so I will likely have some questions for you soon, geographyrocks... mind if I just PM you sometime?  ^_^

Still waiting on my official letter from UNM (still doesn't feel real!), so I will likely have some questions for you soon, geographyrocks... mind if I just PM you sometime?  ^_^

No problemo.  And as of last year, they were still snail-mailing the official letters. 

Edited add: FYI: UNM offers are being mailed out today.

Edited by geographyrocks

I was accepted to UCLA! Yeaahhh!! Received an unofficial email from POI a couple days ago and then the official acceptance email the next day. Fully funded! 

I have a dilemma though. Their open house is on February 17th meaning I'd have to miss 3 days of class. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd be missing some important stuff. Is it worth it to go? I've already visited the campus last summer when I first met with my POI... Also I live in a town whose airport literally has one gate so I'd have to drive 5 hours to the next big city to get a reasonable flight...Worth it? They want an answer today :-/ 

I was accepted to UCLA! Yeaahhh!! Received an unofficial email from POI a couple days ago and then the official acceptance email the next day. Fully funded! 

I have a dilemma though. Their open house is on February 17th meaning I'd have to miss 3 days of class. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd be missing some important stuff. Is it worth it to go? I've already visited the campus last summer when I first met with my POI... Also I live in a town whose airport literally has one gate so I'd have to drive 5 hours to the next big city to get a reasonable flight...Worth it? They want an answer today :-/ 

worth it. You want to meet the grad students(in and outside your lab), who you will interact with much more than your advisor (unless hes SUPERRRR hands on)

Edited by GeoDUDE!

Congrats! That's awesome.

I'd go to the open house and determine the best way to make up the work. Your professors will understand.

Well, I emailed the graduate coordinators at Indiana and Oregon. Indiana has me listed an "alternate." Apparently, I'm a strong candidate, but my POI is not in great need of a new student. Oregon has now sent out all invites to their student weekend, in case anyone applied there. I did not receive one. I am batting 0 for 2 today. Not too disappointed in light of previous good news.

By the way, I've found the graduate coordinators to be quite helpful if you are looking for news regarding your application. As long as you are apologetically polite and keep your emails to a minimum, most are glad to give you an update on where you stand.

Well, I emailed the graduate coordinators at Indiana and Oregon. Indiana has me listed an "alternate." Apparently, I'm a strong candidate, but my POI is not in great need of a new student. Oregon has now sent out all invites to their student weekend, in case anyone applied there. I did not receive one. I am batting 0 for 2 today. Not too disappointed in light of previous good news.

By the way, I've found the graduate coordinators to be quite helpful if you are looking for news regarding your application. As long as you are apologetically polite and keep your emails to a minimum, most are glad to give you an update on where you stand.

Welp, maybe I should contact Indiana as I have applied there but have yet to hear anything.... :unsure:

geoDUDE, whats the insider info on UC Davis applications? :-)

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

I don't think offers have gone out yet, but there aren't many TAs available since we have had high yields the past 2 years. It really depends on who you are applying to work with I think. I know we have had some individual students visit, but we haven't had an accepted students day. 

I don't think offers have gone out yet, but there aren't many TAs available since we have had high yields the past 2 years. It really depends on who you are applying to work with I think. I know we have had some individual students visit, but we haven't had an accepted students day. 

Thanks!  Good to hear offers haven't gone out yet.  Seems like all the schools I applied to are taking their time.  No news is good news I suppose!  :lol:

So I was accepted to UCLA without a faculty sponsor. Pretty much, my only hope is the slim chance for a TAship.

I'm super bummed. I would rather they had not said anything at all until they knew what funding might be like for me. Way to get my hopes up and let them come crashing down.

Let's hope my visits go well!

So I was accepted to UCLA without a faculty sponsor. Pretty much, my only hope is the slim chance for a TAship.

I'm super bummed. I would rather they had not said anything at all until they knew what funding might be like for me. Way to get my hopes up and let them come crashing down.

Let's hope my visits go well!

Thats really strange.... I've never heard of that happening at any place for a PhD. 

Thats really strange.... I've never heard of that happening at any place for a PhD. 

My POI (or should I just say "contact" now?) said that maybe the admissions committee automatically accepted my application when it was put in the "very good" pool... but no specific faculty have expressed any interest in me, which he knows because I was not invited to visit. 

And now I'm really freaking out about my visits. What if I only got the UCI one because my UG/current advisor wants to help me get my foot in the door -- but I know he has no funding for me, so I would go there for what exactly? To maybe try to impress a couple other people? Same with Davis... My POI is waiting on a grant. So what if he is the only one who actually expressed real interest in me going to the visit, and then he gets no funding, and then what? 

Does this make sense? Maybe I don't know how visits work.

I feel like I am being teased over here...

Edited by bethileptic