Fall 2015 Applicants!

Well UOP finally emailed me yesterday. Waitlist :/ le sigh. I tried to keep my expectations carefully low but I'm surprisingly bummed. My GPA isn't the greatest and I think I over-estimated how good my work experience was going to look on paper...

Now to wait for sjsu....and start thinking more seriously about California post baccs....

Quick query: does anyone have any opinions about which is better, a 2nd bachelors or post bacc pre req program? And is the Utah online program pretty affordable/worth not having the classroom experience?

Also, how have you all been responding to waitlists you want to be on? Some people are suggesting I send them a 'making my case' email, but I'm not sure if that's really the way to go...?

Well UOP finally emailed me yesterday. Waitlist :/ le sigh. I tried to keep my expectations carefully low but I'm surprisingly bummed. My GPA isn't the greatest and I think I over-estimated how good my work experience was going to look on paper...

Now to wait for sjsu....and start thinking more seriously about California post baccs....

Quick query: does anyone have any opinions about which is better, a 2nd bachelors or post bacc pre req program? And is the Utah online program pretty affordable/worth not having the classroom experience?

Also, how have you all been responding to waitlists you want to be on? Some people are suggesting I send them a 'making my case' email, but I'm not sure if that's really the way to go...?

I did USU 2nd bach. 2nd bach is preferable IMO because each school as a different list of pre-reqs. Mine was about $10-12k total for 3 semesters total.  The classes are honestly really good if you put in the time and "talk" with professors and peers. It's up to you. Let me know if you have other questions.

I'm on a wait list - I'm considering it a rejection. Not going to do anything. I don't suggest "making your case"... Maybe "expressing your interest"? Or asking for a status update? Just my thoughts. 

Probably not, but for someone who is waiting to hear from a school about acceptance off the waiting list it probably will feel like forever. And then after all that waiting not being accepted off a waitlist, or to any grad schools, probably feels like an apocalypse. All someones hard work for the last 2-4 yrs down the drain type of feeling. 

This shit is hard and stressful. It's a privilege to be in this situation (having and education and searching to further that education), a stressful privilege.

Exactly!

I was just stating that the wait is going by slow. I am ready for the stress to be over, and move on with whatever the decisions are! 

Yep, I committed to a program. If I didn't, I would've risked not getting off the waitlists I'm on. However, it is not to say that I don't like the program I'm accepted at as well! Programs do prepare for the fact that students may get off waitlists and choose to go elsewhere after they have committed. That is why some waitlists are still moving in later months. I spoke to an advisor about this and she said that all grad programs prepare for students to resign after accepting admission. If I get off the waitlist at my #1 choice I will go there since I have to look out for my best interests (financially, location-wise, etc.). It does feel rude, but you have to put your own interests above the grad schools'! After all, they have no shortage of students who would be elated to fill spots.

Ok, good to know. I guess I'll put in my acceptance by Friday if I don't hear anything else. I'm still not looking forward to the extra coursework. Having to do a biological science makes no sense. I had a minor in Nutrition. But they say that doesn't fulfill ASHA. But veterinary science does? WTF? That makes no sense. A former professor of mine is doing research on diet and hearing loss, so surely a nutrition course is more applicable than veterinary science and ASHA should accept it. Anyways, that's my dilemma...

Ok, good to know. I guess I'll put in my acceptance by Friday if I don't hear anything else. I'm still not looking forward to the extra coursework. Having to do a biological science makes no sense. I had a minor in Nutrition. But they say that doesn't fulfill ASHA. But veterinary science does? WTF? That makes no sense. A former professor of mine is doing research on diet and hearing loss, so surely a nutrition course is more applicable than veterinary science and ASHA should accept it. Anyways, that's my dilemma...

Seriously! My only undergrad chem class was nutrition. It seems like it should relate far better than other chem classes. If I'm working with a kid on swallowing and texture, wouldn't basic nutrition be helpful in coming up with ideas on how to help them?

I interviewed for funding but didn't get any (boo) but I saw on the results page that someone with funding is turning it down. Does that mean there might be a chance still? Do schools reallocate funding?

You should ask the school. I know that some schools, like Emerson, do. And schools like MGH don't, unfortunately.

So I just got invited to interview with EWU on Monday (March 30th). I'm definitely really excited and feel like this is a good sign, but.. doesn't this seem really late?! I was hoping to hear back from all schools by then so I can make a final decision! Is anyone else in this situation? Hopefully they won't take too long to notify those who interview.

On 3/25/2015 at 4:46 PM, graceSLP said:

So I just got invited to interview with EWU on Monday (March 30th). I'm definitely really excited and feel like this is a good sign, but.. doesn't this seem really late?! I was hoping to hear back from all schools by then so I can make a final decision! Is anyone else in this situation? Hopefully they won't take too long to notify those who interview.

I interviewed with them yesterday and was also a little bemused that they're doing these so close to the deadline.

On 3/25/2015 at 4:46 PM, graceSLP said:

On 3/25/2015 at 4:54 PM, moosemoose said:

I interviewed with them yesterday and was also a little bemused that they're doing these so close to the deadline.

My classmate just got an email yesterday from St. Rose requesting they attend an interview on April 10th! I don't understand it.

EWU has given me some issues. Despite being a CSDCAS school, they wanted another official copy of my transcripts. I sent them at the beginning of my application process, but a couple weeks ago they said they hadn't gotten my undergrad transcripts. I sent them in again and they are still saying my application is incomplete. I've kind of given up

All of the courses they are making me do are CSD ones...Some of which aren't even offered to undergrads at the place I currently go to as a post-bacc. The place I'm at is a well-rounded program and they don't require them for undergrads/post baccs. Interesting, I wasn't aware they would accept something like vet science. There are some very questionable classes that they accept, so I've heard... I can see where you're coming from. 

Anyone have any experiences with receiving an email from the financial aid office telling you your aid awards are ready to be viewed BEFORE you are accepted? When I log into the portal it shows the loans being offered to me with an option to accept/decline, but I haven't received any kind of an acceptance letter yet. Does this seem like a good sign to you guys or do you think the financial aid office is just jumping the gun here?

Anyone have any experiences with receiving an email from the financial aid office telling you your aid awards are ready to be viewed BEFORE you are accepted? When I log into the portal it shows the loans being offered to me with an option to accept/decline, but I haven't received any kind of an acceptance letter yet. Does this seem like a good sign to you guys or do you think the financial aid office is just jumping the gun here?

I received a similar email from LIU Post last  night but have yet to hear from their admissions office.

I'm confused, calling them today.

I received a similar email from LIU Post last night but have yet to hear from their admissions office.

I'm confused, calling them today.

Let me know how it goes! Crossing my fingers for both of us that they turn into acceptances!

Let me know how it goes! Crossing my fingers for both of us that they turn into acceptances!

Same here, I called LIU this morning. They said my application was still pending, the reason I received that email was because I included them on my FAFSA application. Fingers crossed for both of us still... I have gotten nothing but over a dozen rejection and a couple of wait-lists so far. :(

Thank you. You pick University of Utah yet? Lol. I just love Salt Lake.

Haha not yet. I'm out visiting NIU and MSU this weekend so we'll see how I like those first. :)

Just got accepted to SJSU. Excited but it's not my top choice. Most likely I'll be declining their offer. Hopefully this means that Sac State will be sending admission decisions soon too

Just got my first acceptance to University of Redlands!!!  :D  :D  :D  Such a relief knowing that I have somewhere to go in the Fall. 

Congratulations!!!