Fall 2015 Applicants!

I would love some advice...I am torn between Texas Christian University and Northwestern University. I was offered a GA at TCU that will pay for more than 80% of my tuition (I will only be paying for 7 credit hours total) and am from Texas, but I was really wanting to get out of Texas and move to the Chicago area for grad school and only applied to TCU on a whim. After hearing my admission decision and funding offer at TCU I began considering it more and think I would end up loving the program, but that would mean staying in an area I am already familiar with and not getting the completely "new" experience I thought I was looking for. It is comforting to think that I would not have a very big transition in terms of the area, but I also have a lot of family in the Chicago area to help soothe the giant leap across the country. In addition, Northwestern is extremely expensive and I will not hear about funding at NU until April 13th, but I have to let TCU know my final decision by next week :blink:

Northwestern definitely has always been my dream school and is obviously a very well known, highly ranked, and overall great program but I don't know if I can justify the giant difference in cost. Sadly, I am not able to attend the open house dates at NU either so I cannot visit the campus and get a feel for the program myself. Does anyone have any advice or opinions on what I should do?  Go to the dream school or the school that I was not strongly considering until recently? SOS! Only one week until I have to decide so I am very overwhelmed

If I get accepted by my local schools I'll be in the same boat! However, I would think about what's more important to you. If minimizing your debt post grad school is super important to you, take TCU! If having that new city experience is more important to you, take Northwestern. Plus Northwestern is a top ranked school, so I'm sure you'll get a fabulous education :-) I took a silly personal decision making class a few years ago and I still use a lot of the principles of the class today! Think of the top 3 things that are most important to you when choosing a grad school (i.e. tuition waiver, new city new experiences, top ranked school, cool program, close to home, etc.). And then ranked those 3 things (1. blah 2. blah blah). Then think about which option gives you your #1 item, and there you have it! The school that gives you the thing that's most important to you is your school, #2 and #3 and so on are just nice-to-haves. I hope that makes sense :-)

Also, I'm not able to go the Syracuse's open house either (I live 2700 miles away!). However, I sent the graduate admissions advisor an email with a bunch of questions and they assigned me a faculty member who I could call and ask those questions to...I spent a good 45 mins on the phone with him. It was very reassuring to talk to someone in person (over the phone) about all of my concerns, especially since I applied to Syracuse as a reach school and wasn't seriously banking on it. I would ask if you could set up a 'phone meeting' with someone at Northwestern so that you can get more info, and get all of your questions/concerns answered, and ask if they can put you in contact with a few current students so you can ask the more personal questions like 'do you like the program/school/internship options'.

Good luck in your decision making!

I second the idea to find out more about the programs. Do you want to go into a particular area in the field? Do you want to do research? What is the professor to student ratio? Do you want to study abroad? These are all things that perhaps could help tip you in one direction over the other. I personally would go with TCU because I would die in the Chicago weather (their weather is no joke) and I would rather minimize any potential debt, but that might not be as big of a concern for you.  It seems to me like you have your heart set on Northwestern so if money isn't an issue for you, go for it!  :D

Has anyone received rejection from Chapman University? I know they are starting to accept applicants, but I have not heard a thing from them yet. I would really just like some closure!

Hey there. I received an e-mail from Chapman on Tuesday notifying me of my acceptance. Hopefully you hear something soon!

It's crazy to think our fates at CSULA have been decided as of yesterday! The faculty met yesterday to make their final decisions. We'll hear back by the end of the month! 

Good luck to everyone!

Ahhh! That is so crazy. I can't even think about that. CSULA is still my number one choice. I was accepted to Chapman this week and though I feel so relieved to know that I am for sure going to be in a graduate program next fall, I can't say that Chapman has ever been my top choice. It's so expensive and new. I am seriously crossing my fingers for CSULA for you and me both! :)

On that note, has anyone heard anything from CSUN or CSULB? I am assuming since CSULB does interviews, me having not heard anything yet means that I probably wasn't accepted to their program. I haven't heard anything from CSUN though. Do they normally wait until the last possible minute to give decisions?

I haven't heard anything from CSUN though. Do they normally wait until the last possible minute to give decisions?

I called them a few weeks ago and CSUN said they would send out decisions either the first or second week of April.... So yes they wait last minute!

I'd go to TCU. Debt is no fun, and you can always do your CFY somewhere glamorous. Hawaii, Alaska, Las Vegas, D.C., etc. That being said, I'd be worried about how many job prospects I'd have outside of Texas graduating from a non-secular institution.

Edited by bettercallsaul

Terrible advice. TCU has made you an unbelievable offer, and debt is no fun. And you can always try to fulfill your wanderlust during your CFY. School is school.

Additionally, many schools will help you to do your final externship(s) in other parts of the country. So if that is true for TCU you're really only looking at 1.5 years for school, then 6 months somewhere else. 

Without debt, you'll be enabled to do so much more after school. What a great offer!

Ah I'm in the same boat. I'm torn between going to Nebraska because it's a great Program but no grantee of funding so I would need a lot of money in loans since it's out of state. Then I just found out I got in to my in state school which I could get my masters for a steal compared to leaving out of town! But I did want to experience new people places but I'm not sure if I'm willing to overpay for it

Ah I'm in the same boat. I'm torn between going to Nebraska because it's a great Program but no grantee of funding so I would need a lot of money in loans since it's out of state. Then I just found out I got in to my in state school which I could get my masters for a steal compared to leaving out of town! But I did want to experience new people places but I'm not sure if I'm willing to overpay for it

At least you have options (still waiting on an acceptance), as little debt as possible is the way to go though... Good luck with your decision.

Don't go into debt if you don't have to!! I am married, with kids, and we still have a long way to go to pay off my husband's college loans. This is NO fun while trying to save for a house, my return to school, and 2 kids' college educations as well as extras like travel or simply going out to eat once in a while. An SLP is never going to make a TON of money - don't start out life looking at massive loans if you can avoid it. Save smartly and you will be able to travel and explore the world after graduation. If you're in debt you'll feel like you can't travel and all you'll have to have satisfied that urge is 2 years in one city while studying hard and not really exploring or see new and exciting things.

Opinions please: I've been considering contacting Idaho State and withdrawing my application before I hear a decision back. Is that considered rude? I keep telling myself and other people that I would choose Syracuse over ISU, even though it's so much farther away and would only consider ISU if I get the instate tuition scholarship....but even then, I'm fairly confident that I wouldn't choose ISU, it was my safety school if I didn't get in anywhere else. I'm still waiting to hear back from one school and on the waitlist at another school, so I haven't chosen Syracuse yet, but still pretty confident I would chose all my other options first regardless of ISU's decision....thoughts?

pdxlady1,

If I were you I would just wait til after you hear the decision since it doesn't hurt you to keep yourself on the list!  Throughout this whole process I've changed my mind so many times about which program I think I want to go to (sometimes it changes by the hour haha).  So it's nice to have that option open..you can always decline it right away anyway!  But this is just my opinion :) 

Opinions please: I've been considering contacting Idaho State and withdrawing my application before I hear a decision back. Is that considered rude? I keep telling myself and other people that I would choose Syracuse over ISU, even though it's so much farther away and would only consider ISU if I get the instate tuition scholarship....but even then, I'm fairly confident that I wouldn't choose ISU, it was my safety school if I didn't get in anywhere else. I'm still waiting to hear back from one school and on the waitlist at another school, so I haven't chosen Syracuse yet, but still pretty confident I would chose all my other options first regardless of ISU's decision....thoughts?

In a recent email from ISU, they said the following: "If, at any time, you no longer wish to be considered for our program, as a professional courtesy, please send me a quick email." So no, it wouldn't be rude at all, it's a professional courtesy. Did you not receive this letter yesterday?

I understand this is a support forum, but I really can't stand it when people just conjecture and misinform.

Edited by bettercallsaul

I got the same. They want a decision by next Friday. Was is 6 credits per semester, or for the whole academic year? A tuition waiver means you do not have to pay for those credits. Usually people with funding, such as RAs and TAs, get a stipend AND a tuition waiver. Sometimes it also means, any remaining fees owed will be at the in-state rate. But I am not sure about this for UND specifically. I'm going to check that out. Because that would be a great offer. It may be that they are only now telling us because they did not know how much funding they would be able to offer before, as the above poster's correspondence with her institution suggests. But still, those 5 courses I have to do before I actually start graduate coursework might still outweigh any offer from them for me.

It was for the full academic year. It is not a lot but it helps. I emailed the head of the department and asked a few questions about it. I was mainly curious about their selection for it and if their second year grad students get considered for tuition waivers. He said that in the last two years they have been able to give second year grad students partial tuition waivers too. I did some more calculations of what it will cost and it isn't horrible for me, I suppose. I can get the reciprocity tuition rate for MN residents which is nice. I'm still not crazy about the prereqs, but at this point I will be accepting the offer. It is too much of a gamble for me not to accept it. However, I'm hoping I can get off my waitlists still. I am thinking about going up there some time in the upcoming weeks to take a look around the clinic, university, etc. to get a better idea of program and the Grad Forks area. I have a friend who loved the Grand Forks area, so it will be interesting to see what it's like. I live about 4.5 hours away so it's not too bad of a drive.

Edited by SLPosteriorCricoarytenoid

In a recent email from ISU, they said the following: "If, at any time, you no longer wish to be considered for our program, as a professional courtesy, please send me a quick email." So no, it wouldn't be rude at all, it's a professional courtesy. Did you not receive this letter yesterday?

I understand this is a support forum, but I really can't stand it when people just conjecture and misinform.

I did get that email yesterday. I just reread it and I guess I didn't pay too much attention to that portion of the message. That still doesn't give you the right to be rude and call me misinformed. Your previous post was rude as well. Just because funding is driving your decision making doesn't mean it is for someone else and calling someone else's advice terrible is just impolite. A school may give you 80% funding, but will they prepare you to pass the credentialing exam or do they have a high job placement rate post graduation? There are always more factors to consider. As you stated, this is a support forum...thus judgmental and rude comments should not be tolerated. This is a collaborative field, so be collaborative and supportive, not combative. If you do feel strongly about making an opinion on my post, there are more polite ways of stating that same opinion and I hope whatever school you attend will help you to learn how to give polite and supportive opinions to your patients and colleagues.

I wish someone was rude to be before I took out a lot of loans. I'm not going to coddle people entering graduate school, sorry. The reality in this country is that the price of education is exorbitant and crippling (when in other countries it's free, like in the UK, Germany, France), and even though many didn't say so, they also think going for the dream is terrible, negligible advice when funding is an option. I'm allowed to express my opinion however I like— It's a "free" country. 

Furthermore, conjecture and misinformation can be minimized. But instead, people coming to this forum looking for information have to weed through a bunch of inaccuracies before finding something reliable and substantial. That's what I find aggravating. If you don't know, don't post. Simple as that.

Edited by bettercallsaul

It was for the full academic year. It is not a lot but it helps. I emailed the head of the department and asked a few questions about it. I was mainly curious about their selection for it and if their second year grad students get considered for tuition waivers. He said that in the last two years they have been able to give second year grad students partial tuition waivers too. I did some more calculations of what it will cost and it isn't horrible for me, I suppose. I can get the reciprocity tuition rate for MN residents which is nice. I'm still not crazy about the prereqs, but at this point I will be accepting the offer. It is too much of a gamble for me not to accept it. However, I'm hoping I can get off my waitlists still. I am thinking about going up there some time in the upcoming weeks to take a look around the clinic, university, etc. to get a better idea of program and the Grad Forks area. I have a friend who loved the Grand Forks area, so it will be interesting to see what it's like. I live about 4.5 hours away so it's not too bad of a drive.

Hey, that's good to know that you have a friend who liked the area! I was told the area was awful. Then again, I'm not a religious person, and I hear ND is the most religious state in the Union. Well, I'm open minded, and lived in worse, colder conditions before. So it's nice to hear something positive about Grand Forks! Did you get an answer to your question about what happens if you accept at one school and then get off the wait-list at another? Accepting funding and then declining sounds like an even bigger pickle! I have no idea what to do at this point. Next week, I hope to have a better idea. Safe travels, and I hope it is as nice as your friend says it is.

Edited by bettercallsaul

I wish someone was rude to be before I took out a lot of loans. I'm not going to coddle people who are entering graduate school, sorry. The reality in this country is that student debt is exorbitant and crippling, and even though many didn't say so, they also think going for the dream is terrible advice when funding is an option. I'm allowed to express my opinion however I like. It's a "free" country. 

Furthermore, conjecture and misinformation can be minimized. But instead, people coming to this forum looking for information have to weed through a bunch of inaccuracies before finding something reliable and substantial. That's what I find aggravating. If you don't know, don't post. Simple as that.

I agree with you. Student debt is crippling, however going to a top ranked school with a better program could have better outcomes and consequences in the long term than the 'just okay' school that gives you funding. I'm trying to emphasize the decision isn't just black and white/funding and no funding. And true, you can state your opinion in whatever way you want however you want...doesn't mean you'll be well-liked. If that doesn't matter to you, I guess this conversation is over. However, I maintain my position in that you can still state your opinion that 'going for the dream is unrealistic' in a less combative way and if you continue to be combative, in the speech field, I guarantee you'll get push back. But once again, if you don't care about that...good luck to you and your negativity.

Since professional courtesy has been brought up, I want to make a PSA:

Please withdraw/decline schools that you don't want to attend ASAP!

I know many of us are/were waiting on funding, etc., but please make decisions ASAP. You can only go to one school. If you have multiple offers, please be courteous and only hold a maximum of 2 (maybe 3?) at a time...  You don't have to do anything until April 15th, but why wait that late? You probably know which schools you prefer - go ahead and drop the rest. It might give someone a chance to go to those schools from wait list, etc.  :)

Hey, that's good to know that you have a friend who liked the area! I was told the area was awful. Then again, I'm not a religious person, and I hear ND is the most religious state in the Union. Well, I'm open minded, and lived in worse, colder conditions before. So it's nice to hear something positive about Grand Forks! Did you get an answer to your question about what happens if you accept at one school and then get off the wait-list at another? Accepting funding and then declining sounds like an even bigger pickle! I have no idea what to do at this point. Next week, I hope to have a better idea. Safe travels, and I hope it is as nice as your friend says.

Yeah! I also have a sibling that lives an hour from there and he really likes the Grand Forks area too. Out of the three people I know who have lived in the area, they all seemed to like it. I think I read somewhere that Grand Forks has the second coldest average winter temps in the nation. Ouch. I'm used to MN weather so it wouldn't be too shocking. Interesting, the Grand Forks metro area is around 100,000 so I would think it is probably somewhat diverse in regards to religion, culture, etc. That's just my speculation though. I could see where ND could be labeled that especially in regard to how rural most of the state is. 

In the email, the department head told me that when one student declines the funding it gets passed down to the next student on the list according to ranking. I'm not sure if this happens if I accept the offer and then decline though. I kind of think they must expect and prepare for scenarios like this. I'm wondering if maybe they finalize the tuition waiver when the rest of the financial aid is done after students file for FAFSA and such. I'm not too sure what happens. I am going to talk to my advisor on Monday and see if she has any ideas about how this works since she's on the adcom at the school I'm at now.

I agree with you. Student debt is crippling, however going to a top ranked school with a better program could have better outcomes and consequences in the long term than the 'just okay' school that gives you funding. I'm trying to emphasize the decision isn't just black and white/funding and no funding. And true, you can state your opinion in whatever way you want however you want...doesn't mean you'll be well-liked. If that doesn't matter to you, I guess this conversation is over. However, I maintain my position in that you can still state your opinion that 'going for the dream is unrealistic' in a less combative way and if you continue to be combative, in the speech field, I guarantee you'll get push back. But once again, if you don't care about that...good luck to you and your negativity.

Well, cultures differ on what they consider to be negative vs. genuine. I go for genuine. Growing up, the mean teachers were always the ones I liked best. They seem mean, but really they are more caring than the phony types who are constantly smiling. Like during my interview with Utah State. They were totally fake, nodding and smiling in agreement with everything I said, but all the while thinking, we're not at all interested in this one. Don't worry, I'm sure I'll be fine in the field. You also shouldn't assume that what you perceive as negative, everyone will. Discussion over, ok?

Yeah! I also have a sibling that lives an hour from there and he really likes the Grand Forks area too. Out of the three people I know who have lived in the area, they all seemed to like it. I think I read somewhere that Grand Forks has the second coldest average winter temps in the nation. Ouch. I'm used to MN weather so it wouldn't be too shocking. Interesting, the Grand Forks metro area is around 100,000 so I would think it is probably somewhat diverse in regards to religion, culture, etc. That's just my speculation though. I could see where ND could be labeled that especially in regard to how rural most of the state is. 

In the email, the department head told me that when one student declines the funding it gets passed down to the next student on the list according to ranking. I'm not sure if this happens if I accept the offer and then decline though. I kind of think they must expect and prepare for scenarios like this. I'm wondering if maybe they finalize the tuition waiver when the rest of the financial aid is done after students file for FAFSA and such. I'm not too sure what happens. I am going to talk to my advisor on Monday and see if she has any ideas about how this works since she's on the adcom at the school I'm at now.

Good idea. Yea, I used to live in Fairbanks, AK which is #1 on that coldest list. Hopefully, Grand Forks will be a few degrees warmer! HAHA. I applied there because I like their program, and their application process was superb! Didn't you think? Whoever developed MyGradSpace did a fantastic job and deserves an award/bonus. So much better than CSDCAS. 

I know many of us are/were waiting on funding, etc., but please make decisions ASAP. You can only go to one school. If you have multiple offers, please be courteous and only hold a maximum of 2 (maybe 3?) at a time...  You don't have to do anything until April 15th, but why wait that late? You probably know which schools you prefer - go ahead and drop the rest. It might give someone a chance to go to those schools from wait list, etc.  :)

The tricky thing is those schools that send out acceptances by email and rejections by post. I don't know why they do this. As one wise poster said, she doesn't need physical evidence— "Click delete and move on." 

Edited by bettercallsaul

YES. Please. Please.