Out of curiosity, how old is everyone who plans to pursue a Masters?

I'm 24 and in the second semester of my MS. My cohort is pretty mixed. I had a year off between undergrad and grad. A friend of mine went straight in after her undergrad, but some people are older with a couple of kids or some explored different careers first.

I was 23 when I started my master's, finished when I was still 24 (just a month away from turning 25). I was definitely the youngest out of my cohort in my field since I was the only first-year master's student who came straight from undergrad (everyone else took at least a year or two, or even more years off before entering grad school). I think the average age of the students in my cohort were 28-31. I'm 27 now... I greatly miss my early 20s...

Edited by FoggyAnhinga

Hello,

I just received my Masters from Dartmouth College at age 35. I was surrounded by top notch ivy league students more than 10 years younger than me and was in some classes with 18yr olds. The expectation was for me to present myself more like the professors do but with a focused and flawless study ethic, as their thoughts were that undergrads and some grad students would look to me to see how to behave and what the academic standard was. In turn I was able to navigate the students and faculty equally with some ease. I even went for beers with some profs. 

My Undergrad was finished in 2002 so I had more than 10yrs off from any school. 

I found that EVERYTHING was easier than it was during my own undergrad. My focus was wholly on getting top grades and I did. Pounding out 40 page papers was difficult (I won't lie) but I was able to do it twice every term for 6 terms including a symposium and a study abroad to Oxford. 

I ended up with excellent recommendations and serious research experience. I got into Oxford's Exeter College last fall and declined late due to extreme expense. Now looking to Yale or Brown for PhD this cycle. 

Hello,

I just received my Masters from Dartmouth College at age 35. I was surrounded by top notch ivy league students more than 10 years younger than me and was in some classes with 18yr olds. The expectation was for me to present myself more like the professors do but with a focused and flawless study ethic, as their thoughts were that undergrads and some grad students would look to me to see how to behave and what the academic standard was. In turn I was able to navigate the students and faculty equally with some ease. I even went for beers with some profs. 

My Undergrad was finished in 2002 so I had more than 10yrs off from any school. 

I found that EVERYTHING was easier than it was during my own undergrad. My focus was wholly on getting top grades and I did. Pounding out 40 page papers was difficult (I won't lie) but I was able to do it twice every term for 6 terms including a symposium and a study abroad to Oxford. 

I ended up with excellent recommendations and serious research experience. I got into Oxford's Exeter College last fall and declined late due to extreme expense. Now looking to Yale or Brown for PhD this cycle. 

You rock!

I plan to start Fall 2016, so I'll be 26. Since undergrad I've done 3 internships over the course of a year and a half, then the last 2 years have been Peace Corps service and I plan on extending my service for a third year. A few years of work experience after undergrad seems to be critical these days, in my opinion, though not absolutely necessary. 

Edited by MaverickZ

20, starting a Ph.D. program in the Fall.  :lol:

Damn, you're young. I don't know what my program would do with somebody under 21 as even our recruitment events include open bars.

Damn, you're young. I don't know what my program would do with somebody under 21 as even our recruitment events include open bars.

Hah, I guess that would be a bit of a concern... Here's to hoping that's not the case for the programs I applied to!