Out of curiosity, how old is everyone who plans to pursue a Masters?

• 2 weeks later...

was 22 when i started, am 24 now that im finishing up. basically said fuck it and did a european masters to get some travel and put something good on my resume. its been a crazy experience. i'll be starting my phd this summer and im excited to finally be back in the states

was 22 when i started, am 24 now that im finishing up. basically said fuck it and did a european masters to get some travel and put something good on my resume. its been a crazy experience. i'll be starting my phd this summer and im excited to finally be back in the states

I don't know what stopped me from applying to schools in England and Canada. I have an American based school in Egypt that I am waiting to hear back from though. I will pretty much be saying fuck it as well if they give me funding. The international and language experience would be a plus from that.  None of my American schools have offered me anything, despite getting accepted.

Edited by Guest

26. I went part time for a big portion of my undergrad and I am graduating with 2 degrees (BA and BS).

I'd like to take a year off between MA and PhD, so I will be 28-29 going into my PhD.

Edited by twentysix

I am 21 and starting my PhD this fall straight out of undergrad. I am honestly terrified that I'll be way younger than everyone else in my cohort and that i'll be struggling socially (or academically, for that matter).

I started my M.A. When I was 24. Worked in the field from 2009-2013. If all goes well, I'll be starting a Ph.D. program when I'm 27. As for those worried about the age problem, there's a wide age variation. *most* people have little to no problems with it and will judge you off of your work instead. If they do not respect you for the work you are doing, then associate yourself with others in the cohort. I'm sure you will find someone who matches your style better. 

Edited by psychkita

26 when I start in the fall.

I mostly applied to professional programs (MPA/MPP) and most required 2-3 years of work experience. I've worked in an international nonprofit for 2.5 years, and will have 3 years of work experience when I start.

Starting Masters at 24 in the fall. I'll have it completed by the time I'm 25. Assuming I go on to complete a PhD at the same institution, will be 28 or 29 by the time that is over [crossing fingers].

• 3 weeks later...

Like a previous poster said, I'll be dirty thirty going into the MSW program, 32 when done. Spent most my 20's working full-time, school part-time plus took time off after high school and a year each between A.A., B.A.'s and now MSW. 

• 2 months later...

I'll be starting my M.S. this Fall semester at the age of 27. I feel very old now due to the fact that I can not stay up the way I used to when I was working on my A.A. in my late teens and very early 20s. As I get older I have found myself thinking more about marriage, buying a house, and career... basically settling, and just hope I can keep my mind focused completely on my academic career.