Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

I have also not heard back from Yale. I am assuming a rejection at this point because its been a week since they sent out acceptances according to the results posted on here. I was actually thinking Yale was my best fit coming into this process due to my own research and my emails with my POI but I got in at my other schools and not at Yale. I guess I can chalk it up to the size and strength of the applicant pool.  

Has anyone gotten an official acceptance or rejection from UCLA at this point? A couple results were posted but they were all unofficial I think. I'm guessing official news will come sometime this week? I certainly hope so.

30 minutes ago, fencergirl said:

Has anyone gotten an official acceptance or rejection from UCLA at this point? A couple results were posted but they were all unofficial I think. I'm guessing official news will come sometime this week? I certainly hope so.

Nope, I haven't. It seems that a couple of the posted notifications are people with prior connections to UCLA. I imagine the adcom is finalizing the funding offers before they officially notify admits. 

Edited by stillalivetui

53 minutes ago, stillalivetui said:

Nope, I haven't. It seems that a couple of the posted notifications are people with prior connections to UCLA. I imagine the adcom is finalizing the funding offers before they officially notify admits. 

That makes sense! I think If it's good news I will hear soon. Seems like in past years they have spread out their rejections though which is kind of annoying. Fingers crossed!

8 hours ago, stillalivetui said:

7 hours ago, fencergirl said:

That makes sense! I think If it's good news I will hear soon. Seems like in past years they have spread out their rejections though which is kind of annoying. Fingers crossed!

Based on last year's results, UCLA should send notifications 2/15-2/18. Fingers crossed for a happy start to the week!

On 2/13/2016 at 7:12 PM, KLZ said:

Officially second string at Yale and cut from Vandy. Vandy wasn't a terrific fit. My Duke offer is looking better and better every day. 

Ah - found one of you Duke admits. Now that it's been like 3 weeks since they sent out some admission letters (seriously WTF Duke), I feel less impatient and weird asking you this. Did you get any impression from the wording of their letter that there would be more people admitted, or did it sound more like they've made their picks? I know most likely you have no way of knowing, but as another native of NC this particular admission/rejection has a lot riding on it.

Because the week after the first couple admissions showed up on gradcafe, I was expecting a decision either way any day. But now after 3 weeks it seems like maybe they're still debating who else to make offers to??? I'm sure I'm not the only Duke history applicant whose mind is running wild...

Edited by nightfarmer
afterthought

The letter was a generic email from the DGS (even suggested they would pay for my visit to Durham....I live 20 minutes away). I think all offers of admission went out a the same time, unfortunately. A current duke student me that all students got a list of those accepted soon after the offers went out. Duke may have a soft waitlist though, and as people decline their offers, others may be admitted. 

12 minutes ago, nightfarmer said:

as another native of NC this particular admission/rejection has a lot riding on it.

Did you apply to unc also? I'd love to stay in NC too.

On 2/13/2016 at 6:24 PM, hbnj said:

I know this question has probably been asked multiple times, but what's more important fit or rank? 

Well, to dogpile on this with everyone else, there are certain names (esp. the Ivies) that have a lot of cachet no matter what. But for the majority of programs the rank of the department as a whole is sort of second fiddle to how prominent your primary adviser is. As I've been told by numerous professors, you're known for much of your career as so-and-so's student - until, perhaps, you overshadow them ;)

So in summary fit and rank aren't really 2 sides of the spectrum here.

2 minutes ago, KLZ said:

The letter was a generic email from the DGS (even suggested they would pay for my visit to Durham....I live 20 minutes away). I think all offers of admission went out a the same time, unfortunately. A current duke student me that all students got a list of those accepted soon after the offers went out. Duke may have a soft waitlist though, and as people decline their offers, others may be admitted. 

Yeah, that's what the rational/realistic part of my brain told me. I guess my only hope now is waiting list (if they have one this year).

Just now, KLZ said:

Did you apply to unc also? I'd love to stay in NC too.

I applied last year, but not this year - kind of a frustrating story. I went to UNC for undergrad, then got my MA elsewhere to improve my application (relatively unimpressive undergrad GPA). So anyway, at some point last application season I corresponded with the POI at UNC and he said I should put in an application. I didn't get in. I saw him sometime later and asked him how I could improve my application for reapplying, and he just told me he couldn't have convinced the committee to take me since I did undergrad there. I guess they get so many applicants who check all the 'boxes' that they can rule people out based on that.

So that sucked. I didn't throw away the money this year.

I talked to my adviser here at OU for history of science, and she told me that they were hoping to get letters sent out today (via email).

I'm not sure if anyone else here applied to the history of science program here, but if anyone has, there might be letters today. :) 

Still waiting for news from Columbia (presumed rejection at this point?) but hey, I just found out I got in to Indiana! Now I'm just waiting for that rejection from Columbia and sweet, sweet peace of mind will be mine! 

13 minutes ago, emiliajulia said:

Still waiting for news from Columbia (presumed rejection at this point?) but hey, I just found out I got in to Indiana! Now I'm just waiting for that rejection from Columbia and sweet, sweet peace of mind will be mine! 

Congrats on Indiana.

Woo hoo! I got into OU's history of science program.... without funding!

I can't say I was expecting much else. The university is experiencing substantial budget shortfalls, and they weren't able to give any funding at all in the main history department to first years.

Edited by Neist

40 minutes ago, emiliajulia said:

Congrats on Indiana. I received my MA from there last year. Amazing, supportive department, and Bloomington is awesome.

1 minute ago, PhDudette said:

Have any of you all noticed a consistency in where you get in ranking-wise? Mine have been all over the place--I think it underscores a lot of the randomness of the admissions process. 

Yep, it has been rather unpredictable.

I didn't apply to any place outside of the top twenty-five or so—my strongest fits were all ranked between about ten and about twenty, so there's not enough of a rank differential to notice much there. But I've been doing rather better among the anthropology programs I applied to than the history ones, which as somebody with a weak anthropology background and a strong history one, I was not expecting. Either my project is more anthropological than I had thought when I wrote it up, or random chance strikes again! (Spoiler: it's probably both.)

3 hours ago, Septerra said:

Still holding out for Indiana. I see a few people have posted their rejections. I haven't received an e-mail yet. I feel like I'm being wait listed everywhere...:(

Same story here. For folks accepted at Indiana: Was your email from the DGS or a POI?