Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

30 minutes ago, LittleMickey said:

Has anyone been accepted but was not contacted by their POI? I feel like everyone who gets accepted gets an email from POI first, so I'm worried I am just waiting for a rejection letter at this point. :/

From any school in particular? I heard from Northwestern on a Saturday (website), the graduate coordinator (Monday), and my POI (Wednesday). And from W&M, I got a call from the graduate coordinator the week before I received an email from my POI. So I wouldn't lose hope just yet. 

Just now, hbnj said:

From any school in particular? I heard from Northwestern on a Saturday (website), the graduate coordinator (Monday), and my POI (Wednesday). And from W&M, I got a call from the graduate coordinator the week before I received an email from my POI. So I wouldn't lose hope just yet. 

Congrats on Northwestern! I currently live in Chicago, shoot me a message if you have any questions about the city.

32 minutes ago, hazelmoor said:

They didn't include the country breakdown on the East Asia admits this year (they sometimes do). If you're wondering if you're on there, PM me your first name or surname and I can verify.

I don't know how many applied, sorry. I'm not on the admit committee, just get the department emails, lol. (I'm ABD.)

PMed you! 

1 hour ago, hazelmoor said:

Don't know if this has already been mentioned (I only checked the last five pages), but Stanford sent out its list of admits to current students just now. We took 15, and we've been given the green light to contact them, so I assume POIs have been in contact already.

Field breakdown:

Britain - 1
East Asia - 2
History of Science - 1
Jewish History - 1
Latin America - 1
Middle East and Central Asia - 1
Medieval - 1
Modern Europe - 1
Russia/E. Europe - 1
United States - 5

Wonder why no one has posted on the results page yet? You think POIs have not got around to contacting ppl yet? 

36 minutes ago, hazelmoor said:

They didn't include the country breakdown on the East Asia admits this year (they sometimes do). If you're wondering if you're on there, PM me your first name or surname and I can verify.

I don't know how many applied, sorry. I'm not on the admit committee, just get the department emails, lol. (I'm ABD.)

Pm'ed you sorry to butt in but I'm also curious

1 minute ago, storia said:

Wonder why no one has posted on the results page yet? You think POIs have not got around to contacting ppl yet? 

Well, it's a small group - not everybody does gradcafe, haha. 

They gave us the go-ahead to contact the admits and woo them into coming, so I'd imagine that most if not all POIs have been in touch already. The department is pretty on top of these things - I doubt they'd want an admit finding out about their admission from Mary Sue Third-Year. ;)

12 minutes ago, hazelmoor said:

Well, it's a small group - not everybody does gradcafe, haha. 

They gave us the go-ahead to contact the admits and woo them into coming, so I'd imagine that most if not all POIs have been in touch already. The department is pretty on top of these things - I doubt they'd want an admit finding out about their admission from Mary Sue Third-Year. ;)

Sure. Normally you will see at least one person post something. But you are right. 15 ppl is particularly small. 

2 minutes ago, storia said:

Sure. Normally you will see at least one person post something. But you are right. 15 ppl is particularly small. 

Yeah, it's smaller than our last three years. (2015: 24, 2014: 26, 2013: 21.) 

20 hours ago, Ahtlatl said:

Ok, so a guy on the inside at UCLA told me that last Friday the history dept did indeed make all of their decisions for new students in all fields. No word on whether they already sent out all the acceptances though. My POI notified me the day after. He had my number and he was already my MA thesis advisor. If that weren't the case, then he might not have let me know so soon, so unless you already know two people in your field that have been accepted into UCLA then there is still hope! Though IIRC he told me I was the only Latin American history admit, so if you work on Latin American history then you're probably not getting in, sorry, but never say never, I may choose another school. PSU is looking pretty tempting after talking to the head of the dept there today.  

Do you know why the department would wait so long to send out decisions if they have already made them? Or are some fields still deciding?

1 hour ago, LittleMickey said:

Do you know why the department would wait so long to send out decisions if they have already made them? Or are some fields still deciding?

I'm intrigued by this as well. It seems like a number of acceptances already went out and even some waitlists. I've pretty much written UCLA off though. 

11 minutes ago, DGrayson said:

I'm intrigued by this as well. It seems like a number of acceptances already went out and even some waitlists. I've pretty much written UCLA off though. 

Same. I've written off UC-Santa Barbara and UT-Austin as well. I'm not sure what to make of Illinois yet though. 

3 hours ago, LittleMickey said:

Like I said, a person in the history dept. told me that all fields made all of their decisions as of last Friday. No word on whether  acceptance letters have been sent out (still waiting for my official letter), I only got an informal phone call. My POI said that they still needed to go through some more hoops to make it 100% official, but he wanted to let me know that as long as nothing weird came up, I would be in. As I said previously, my POI and I talk frequently, he's my mentor/thesis advisor, so that's probably why he gave me the inside word on my acceptance. Another person here said that they were notified about being waitlisted by their POI at UCLA who is also their thesis advisor. So I think that the only people who have been informed are those who are in regular contact at UCLA with their POIs. My guess is that they still have to get more paperwork and other bureaucratic stuff done first, and then whenever that's done, all of the letters will be sent out, hopefully this week! Only way of knowing right now is through your POI if they are willing to be forthcoming with that info. 

Just heard from Columbia: " Dear Ramya, we will be making final admissions decisions Feb. 15. If you have not heard from us by then, it would be safe to assume that you were not offered admission to our program."

Phew. I am so grateful that they are being so direct! I hope this information helps!

Edited by RamyaS

28 minutes ago, RamyaS said:

Just heard from Columbia: " Dear Ramya, we will be making final admissions decisions Feb. 15. If you have not heard from us by then, it would be safe to assume that you were not offered admission to our program."

Phew. I am so grateful that they are being so direct! I hope this information helps!

Thanks for letting us know! This is my last school thank god. They'll put me out of my misery one way or another.

8 hours ago, Ahtlatl said:

Like I said, a person in the history dept. told me that all fields made all of their decisions as of last Friday. No word on whether  acceptance letters have been sent out (still waiting for my official letter), I only got an informal phone call. My POI said that they still needed to go through some more hoops to make it 100% official, but he wanted to let me know that as long as nothing weird came up, I would be in. As I said previously, my POI and I talk frequently, he's my mentor/thesis advisor, so that's probably why he gave me the inside word on my acceptance. Another person here said that they were notified about being waitlisted by their POI at UCLA who is also their thesis advisor. So I think that the only people who have been informed are those who are in regular contact at UCLA with their POIs. My guess is that they still have to get more paperwork and other bureaucratic stuff done first, and then whenever that's done, all of the letters will be sent out, hopefully this week! Only way of knowing right now is through your POI if they are willing to be forthcoming with that info. 

Hey Ahtlatl, I'll be finishing up my MA program at IU this upcoming fall, and applying for PhD programs at the same time. UCLA is my top 5 interested programs. Can I PM you a few questions about your applications?

7 minutes ago, tipmar said:

To the Rutgers admit - did you get an official mail from the department?

Hi. I got an email from the DGS for History that I had been recommended for admission along with funding info and their invitation weekend. It said the formal admissions letters for the university would be coming "next week or so." Hope that helps! 

30 minutes ago, nom said:

Has anyone heard from UPenn? 

I wish! They are usually very late with decisions. Probably next week or the one after that.

Edited by DGrayson