Winter is Coming

mkm2119

Okay, maybe winter is a ways off, but as the summer draws to an end and I continue to prep for my move from the hot, hot south to the north I can't help but notice how ill prepared I am for such a different climate. Where I'm from the whole town shuts down for an inch of snow - I'm not kidding, it happened this "winter." I keep finding out little tidbits of information, like apparently I have to wash my car frequently during the winter in the north to keep it from rusting (I had no idea). 

Does anyone have any other tips like this I should know? I have plans to invest in a warm coat and some good shoes for the snow, but otherwise I'm pretty clueless. I'm sure there will be people in my program who can help me prepare, but like many of you I'm sure, I'm pretty type A and would like to know what I'm getting myself into. 

Edited by emkm

General rules:

1) Good, waterproof boots (MSRP of $100+)

2) Several thinner layers will always be warmer than that stupid puffy jacket.

3) If you're driving, get a small shovel and an extra jug of wiper fluid and keep them in the trunk.

I have no advice, but I can commiserate.  I moved from somewhere that snow was  only talked about in legend, to where snow is an infrequent, but real possibility.  I went into my first actual winter (Where it stayed below 50 during the day) with only a suitcoat for warmth.  It was a hard winter, haha. I don't think I could ever move north.

Find out what kind of winter your new home will have. If there is going to be a lot of slushy snow/ice then you might want to prioritize a good pair of waterproof boots over the best possible coat (although don't skimp on the coat either!). If it's not going to be that wet/humid then go for thicker jackets over boots. If it's windy then scarves are a good idea. In very windy and cold places, any exposed skin will be uncomfortable very fast--I'd get a ski mask or a scarf that I can wrap around my face and only leave my eyes uncovered (and a gap to breathe maybe).

Wearing a lot of heavy winter clothes can be uncomfortable due to your own body heat causing condensation and making you all sweaty under your clothes. So, look for "breathable" winter clothing, especially for your innermost layer and your socks. I like the Columbia brand. Don't underestimate the importance of good socks to go with your boots!

Get a boot tray for your office (and home). Lots of (potentially dirty & muddy) snow will be stuck on your boots when you go inside, and you don't want to track it all over the floor! Standard etiquette (at least in Canada) is to have a pair of "inside shoes" so that you remove your boots as soon as you get in your office, place them on the boot tray so that the melting (muddy) snow stays contained and then you can wear your nicer shoes around the office. Also a good idea to have a lighter sweater or something for inside--winter clothes are pretty uncomfortable and you don't want to have to wear it all day!

When washing your car, if you are using a self-wash, make sure you spray the undercarriage thoroughly. The rust happens when the salt from the roads splashes upwards on your undercarriage. If you are using e.g. a gas station car wash, pick the option with the undercarriage spray if possible. If you really like your car, you can also go to a garage and pay for an anti-rust layer that they spray on the bottom. 

Also, when driving, always keep at least 1/4 tank of gas. More is better--don't procrastinate refilling the tank! If you get stuck somewhere or if you break down, you want to be able to keep your car running and stay warm while help arrives. When snow and ice starts forming, take your car to an empty parking lot and practice handling it on ice/snow. Do extreme things to lose control and get used to regaining it (obviously don't be unsafe about this though!)

When parking your car for awhile (e.g. if you are parking outside on a snowy day), it might help to lift your windshield wipers up (like you are going to replace them). It will help prevent them being iced onto the windshield and it will help you get on your way faster. Don't do this if it's windy though. Also, if you have the option, always pay more for underground parking. It will lessen the wear on your car and you won't have to spend 15 minutes scraping off the windshield. Paying $20 more per month for underground parking in our apartment building was one of the best investments we ever made.

Thank you telkanuru and takeruk for the tips! There are so many things you just don't think about when you don't normally deal with snow or a winter that dips below 35 degrees. 

Cheshire_cat: I am beyond nervous for my actual first winter there. I know I'll survive but I get chilly when it dips below 70 degrees. I keep telling myself that it (most likely) isn't permanent and I only have to get through 4 winters!

I'll be sure to check out those links fuzzy :)

Edited by emkm

Just to follow up, I've moved from a country where it never snows to successively colder and snowier areas over the years. The first winter is the most difficult, and after that you body kind of gets used to it. One tip is to only buy winter gear in the city where you're moving to. Your winter gear from your non-cold city will not be sufficient, but at the new place they will know what you need. On top of that, I needed to actively teach myself that *sunny does not mean warm*. In fact, the sunny days are some of the coldest in the winter. Also, days are not necessarily warmer than nights. You can't make any prediction except by checking the forecast. Take a moment to check out how people are dressed outside when you are getting ready to leave to give you an idea of how cold it is outside. Stay warm -- for me, a scarf is essential long before I whip out the gloves or hat. Plan for extra commute time; things are slower if you're walking or driving in snow/ice, especially right after fresh snow has fallen and before the streets have been cleared. You'll also want extra time at the office to change your shoes and clothes. This year, my 20-minute summer commute took 25 minutes in the snow and 30 minutes when it was icy. And finally, in my new city this year, I had to eventually get campons. It sometimes got so icy that even my best winter boots couldn't deal with it; I could not walk anywhere without those spikes.

There are so many things you just don't think about when you don't normally deal with snow or a winter that dips below 35 degrees. 

It was a big change for us too. We grew up in western Canada where it is temperate, usual temperatures between 0C and 20C, and only a week or so of snow each year and weather down to -10C. We learned a lot in the 2 years in Ontario where we regularly had weather down to -20C and snow is constant between November and April! I'm glad to be in sunny California now, and while I didn't like winter when I was there, I am kind of happy now that I did experience what people think of when they think "Canadian winters" (although I'm much happier to be NOT experiencing it now). 

Also I suggest this song: Mon pays (

) if you want to fully embrace the winter mindset. The opening line translates to "my country is not a country, it is winter". In Canada, it's also an anthem-like for Quebecois nationalists but I enjoy how it sounds and personally interpret it as being in harmony/connecting with our environment. If you want to learn more: http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/mon-pays/

I definitely second the advice to buy stuff once you get there. Your fellow grad students will know what you need and where to look for deals on it. I am also a big proponent of wearing scarves and a hat to keep warm. Good gloves are essential (and also, touchscreen gloves aren't as warm as you might want). Solid winter boots (by which I mean "snow boots") are a lifesaver if it's a place with snow or slush. I actually have two pairs, so I can somewhat coordinate with outfits. Depending on how cold it is and your tolerance, you may also want to invest in snow/ski pants, which are waterproof and warm but look super dorky. If you have an office, you can change your shoes and entire outfit once you get in to something more appropriate for being indoors.

Other things I'll just say, as someone that has lived in both very hot (40C in the summer) and very cold (-24C) temperatures is that while you will adapt some, it will also be a big shock to your system. Wear layers. Be prepared to need to add or remove clothing throughout the day. Sunny does not equal warm as fuzzy has said. Get in the habit of checking the forecast so that you can be prepared if a front is coming and the temperature is going to drop dramatically during the day. 

Depending on how cold the winter is and how much stuff you have already, some winter stuff goes on sale surprisingly early. Whenever I need a new coat, I make a habit of getting my winter coats in late November or early December, when you can usually start to find them half off or more already. I especially trawl post-Christmas sales for winter gear, but that is probably too late for your first year.

In really cold cities, I've always needed a lighter winter coat (that can go down to 25 degrees with a ton of layers, but is mostly useful when it's in the 30s and 40s) and a heavier one (down to the bottom of where you live, which for me was usually about 0; I have no subzero advice). Other people have advised you to wait to do a lot of shopping until you get there. Personally, in the past, I have held off on purchasing some of the heavier stuff not only until living in the new, colder place, but until temperatures start to drop and you can find things on drastic sale. I've had friends have good luck with stuff on sale as early as September, for last season's models—which should be fine, because winter gear doesn't change that much—but I think my point is that you should be able to find a good portion of your items on sale, rather than feeling like you have to pay full price on everything.

My advice? Don't overthink it.

I know that it's sort of nerve-wracking to move across the country to a climate you're unused to, but the human body is capable of adjusting to a wide range of climates. There are people living in Iqaluit, in Nunavut, where the temperature routinely got to -30F this winter and where it's currently 36F. (I'm a little bit obsessed with weather, so I was following them on my weather app). You'll adapt, too - the first winter will really suck and then after that you'll be good.

With some good winter boots and a winter coat, you'll be absolutely fine. The rest of the tips and tricks you'll learn along the way - the windshield wiper thing I learned when I moved to central PA and saw everyone else doing it. I wasn't even sure why, but I started doing it too and googled it later. Layering is definitely a good idea because puffer coats ARE really hot. A thermal, a sweater and a lightweight winter jacket is probably the better bet unless it's truly freezing outside.

I do agree with knp, though, that it's best to wait until November to get the really cold stuff. It all goes on sale then, but it doesn't start getting really cold in the Northeast at least until mid-December at the earliest (and really, late December/early January to me). If there's a Burlington Coat Factory in your new city, I would check that out - they sell good discounted winter coats. I always get my coats there really cheap.

Talk to local students and ask what they recommend. Find out what winters are like. There is a huge difference between a damp winter and a dry winter, trust me. I can handle double-digit negatives in a dry winter but a damp winter even just 30 degrees makes me feel like I'm freezing.

- Dress in layers that are easy to remove. It can be cold outside but hot inside.

- Get at least two jackets: a solid windbreaker for fall and a thick coat for winter. I don't recommend winter coats that contain feathers; in my experience those feathers poke out way too easily.

- If it gets really cold, buy Underarmour. I had two shirts and a pair of pants and I loved them.

- Buy a nice woolen scarf.

- If you don't already have sunglasses, buy them. The glare off snow is murder.

- When it snows, leave early and drive slow. Learn how to handle fishtailing. Beware black ice.

- Get a nice pair of boots. Look for ones with solid traction. Just because they look fuzzy doesn't mean they'll be good on ice.

Car -
No less than 1/2 tank of gas at anytime
Keep a blanket, flashlight, spare gloves, change of clothes, small folding shovel & a jug of washer fluid in your trunk
4WD / AWD may help you get going - it does absolutely nothing to help you stop if you start sliding. Remember that - it can save your (or someone elses) life.
A portable jumpstart box is easier to store than a set of jumper cables. It is also useful for other things, and does not require a second car for a jump when needed.

Clothes -
I prefer a light fleece worn under a heavier insulated car length coat, layers are better than bulk.
Good boots, insulated leather and keep them treated with your preferred waterproofing (I like old fashioned mink oil).

A set of springy ice creepers is good to have also.
2 pair of socks, one thin (to wick away moisture), one heavy for insulation.
Good gloves, but make sure that they are flexible

Food -
Stock up well in advance, for some strange reason, as soon as snow is predicted everyone runs out to get bread, milk and eggs. I guess everyone plans on having french toast for the next two weeks.
Keep a bunch of canned goods around at all times, when the weather gets nasty the store shelves empty out quickly.
Keep a day's worth of food in your campus office if you have one.

Safety & Sanity -
Get one of those battery extenders and a car charger for your phone. Some places in the northeast have extended power outages.
Never underestimate the usefulness of a deck or two of playing cards, a set of dice, some paper and a pencil.
If the weather sucks - stay home. Don't go out unless you absolutely need to.
THINK - you may be an excellent driver, but that means that everyone else is worse than you, so the best way to keep yourself safe is to stay off of the roads.
Portable radio, with batteries. You may think that you can stream radio via some phone app, but the local stations may not be streaming if they are on emergency power.

Stock up well in advance, for some strange reason, as soon as snow is predicted everyone runs out to get bread, milk and eggs. I guess everyone plans on having french toast for the next two weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU

We don't have winter storms, but when a hurricane hits, we buy poptarts and beer.  I think bread and milk are more rational options. (Though, milk would spoil, so beer makes perfect sense. It already tastes spoiled)

Hurricanes I can handle! I've grown up with hurricanes. I think the first thing I would grab from the store though is wine! 

Thank you all so much for the tips :) Even if I won't be buying most of this stuff now it helps to know what I'll need to save up for! 

I moved from "sunny and warm" California to Minnesota, and then onto New England and now here in Maryland.  Here are my thoughts:

For my first winter in Minnesota, I got a down coat and Thinsulated boots.  I wore each item less than five times, both were way too hot.  Even on the coldest days I would sweat underneath the coat and my feet, too, would get swampy.  Being sweaty in sub-zero weather is not only uncomfortable and annoying, it is also extremely dangerous and remember: cotton kills.  I quickly learned that layering is the way to go; base layer, thermal layer, jacket/coat.  If it were really cold, two thermal layers (one usually being a hoodie).  

I suggest going for synthetic fabrics as cotton has a tendency to stay wet (when wet) and poses the real risk of hypothermia (hence, cotton kills).  Synthetic fabrics not only dry faster but they also move moisture away from the body.  They also tend to be lighter.  I have a thin Columbia jacket I use as the thermal layer.  This thing is thin and light to the point you might believe there is no way possible it would keep you warm.  but it does, and then some.  It weighs about 11 oz. and has a thin reflective surface on the inside.  It is quite toasty. I can wear it in 20˚ F weather for an hour or so and be okay without a jacket or hoodie underneath.  I have a heavier coat, also by Columbia, that has that same reflective surface on the inside.  Combined, the two are really warm.

For pants, I always preferred snowboard pants but that is just me.  I also did just fine with jeans, Dickies, and what-ever in Minnesota as long as I had on thermal underwear.  

For socks, invest in wool socks. You do not need heavy wool socks.  Regular wool "hiking" socks would work well.  

For shoes, eh, get what ever is most comfortable.  I ended wearing the same skateboarder shoes I wore all year.  Kept my feet plenty warm but with their low profile the occasional bit of snow would fall in.  

Gloves are also a necessity.  Scarves and hats are up to you. 

With that, here are my tips:

1.  Wait to buy.  My opinion is to purchase items as they are needed instead of buying everything you think you will need at once.  Chances are high that you will most likely spend a lot of time indoors during the winter;  you may find that a big 'ol heavy coat is overkill for those walks from the door to your car. Or you may not.  

2.  People are different, but the same, but different, but the same, but... what I mean is that people seem to have a tendency to over bundle (in my opinion), yet, what one person deems as a cold day another my be okay with shorts and a hoodie (like me).  Most people are likely to "warn" you of the cold and as such suggest a bunch of stuff that may not be needed for you.  Or, you may find that you need more.  Bottom line is that it is all about your warmth and your comfort.

3.  My experience with the Upper MidWest is that people are less likely to raid the stores of "bread and milk" unless a blizzard is in the forecast.  That seems to be more of a trait for the Northeast and 9.9/10 is absolutely unnecessary unless you happen to live in a remote area.  The irony is that these States are all equipped to handle snow.  

4.  4WD is only good in snow.  Unless you are driving through actual snow coverage 4WD can be dangerous.  You want AWD or FWD.  

5.  If you get stranded in the snow (vehicle), and need to run the engine for heat, you also need to periodically shut the engine off and roll down the windows.  Or else you run the risk of carbon monoxide building up in the cabin.  Depending on location, someone will stop and give you a hand.   

6.  The snow is not your enemy; ice is.  You will learn NOT to walk on the sidewalk but instead alongside it or even in the street (assuming it is safe to do so).  You will get better traction this way.  You will learn NOT to quickly exit a vehicle but instead to "test the ground" first.  And so on.  Depending on where you go chances are high that you will "hate" the months of April and May more so that January and February.  

7.  I agree with Rose Tylor; there is a difference between a damp winter and a dry winter.  I'd take a dry Minnesota winter over a damp Seattle winter any year for sure. 

8.  Not sure about the system shock but I suppose this all depends on what you expect.  When I moved to Minnesota I was shocked... ...by the lack of snow.  I mean, I was expecting the cold, which did not surprise me, but I was also expecting ten-foot snow banks.  Talk about a let down.  

9.  It's all relative but one thing is for sure:  you will most likely begin to appreciate Summer that much more. 

3.  My experience with the Upper MidWest is that people are less likely to raid the stores of "bread and milk" unless a blizzard is in the forecast.  That seems to be more of a trait for the Northeast and 9.9/10 is absolutely unnecessary unless you happen to live in a remote area.  The irony is that these States are all equipped to handle snow.

In general, that's what I've experienced. It also doesn't take long to clean up after a blizzard. Unless you were in Boston this last winter (hopefully they will learn from cities like Minneapolis and Montreal). 

4.  4WD is only good in snow.  Unless you are driving through actual snow coverage 4WD can be dangerous.  You want AWD or FWD.

FWD is great, 4WD is overkill and leads to careless driving. The extra clearance a truck or SUV gives can be all that you need. 

6.  The snow is not your enemy; ice is.  You will learn NOT to walk on the sidewalk but instead alongside it or even in the street (assuming it is safe to do so).  You will get better traction this way.  You will learn NOT to quickly exit a vehicle but instead to "test the ground" first.  And so on.  Depending on where you go chances are high that you will "hate" the months of April and May more so that January and February.

Snow is great for walking, but not for driving. When driving snow will pull you off the road. I'll take ice over snow. However, not black ice.

8.  Not sure about the system shock but I suppose this all depends on what you expect.  When I moved to Minnesota I was shocked... ...by the lack of snow.  I mean, I was expecting the cold, which did not surprise me, but I was also expecting ten-foot snow banks.  Talk about a let down.

You gotta get on the east side of a Great Lake for that. But this is a good point, the degree of cold and the degree of snow varies. If you're going to Grand Rapids, MI or Buffalo, NY you're going to get a ton of snow. But, if you're going to Minneapolis, MN, you're just going to get cold. Both can be an issue, but in very different ways. Snow makes travel harder. Cold means you stay inside as much as possible and wear warm clothing. When it gets below zero (F) fashion is a luxury. You wear what is warm.

One thing I forgot to mention before. If you're coming from a hot place and have a car, you probably have "summer" tires on your vehicle. They're really crappy to drive with on ice/snow so be prepared to invest in another set of tires once winter comes. You can either get "snow" tires and swap them back and forth or get "all season/weather" tires that don't have to be changed out. Trust me when I say that it is well worth the investment.

I agree with the above posters. I have lived in Minnesota and South Dakota my whole life. In my opinion, do not go overboard with buying the biggest, heaviest winter apparel you can get. As a poster above mentioned, you will sweat in it. Layering is your friend. As far as boots go, I would get practical ones that will keep your feet dry but will not suffocate them. I have a pair of Thinsulate winter boots that I wear to class in the winter more days than not. I also walk close to a mile from my car to where I go, so I need something that can keep my feet from freezing. When big storms hit, the city often cannot keep up with plowing sidewalks and roads, so it is common to be trudging through a foot of snow or more. Many crazy Minnesotans will wear moccasin/slipper type shoes even when there's a foot of snow. I am not one of them... I have even witnessed people wearing shorts when there are blizzards.

I also second the idea of keeping washer fluid on hand. Your windshield will become coated with a thin layer of salty residue that makes it nearly impossible to see when driving behind other cars on wet, salted roads. I have had to pull over many times to throw snow on my windshield to clean it off so I could see out of it. 

A snow brush with an ice scraper is also a necessity. If you leave your car for a period of time, ice is likely to form and coat your windshield. I also keep a miniature telescoping plastic shovel in my trunk. It has been a lifesaver. I have had to shovel my car a path to get off the street and onto the roadway many times after being parked for a few hours. Speaking of parking on streets, make sure you know what the city ordinances are for snow removal parking restrictions. You can get a hefty fine/towed for parking on the wrong sides of streets when there are snow emergencies. 

Hat wise, I do not like stocking hats mainly for the reason that they destroy your hair. I prefer the ear muffs that go behind the ears and are hardly visible. You may also want a scarf if the region you're moving to gets frigidly cold. Breathing in -20 air can be a little unpleasant on the lungs and cheeks, so a scarf helps.

Also, like the poster above mentioned, good car tires are a necessity. You are asking for an accident if you drive with low tread. I learned this lesson the hard way when my car hydroplaned on slush and rolled three times. I have also gotten stuck at large intersections before and that was embarrassing. 

Lastly, always start your car and let it run for at least five minutes before driving when it is cold. It is hard on the engine to start it up and take off right away. If you can get an engine block heater it will make it easier on your engine as well. You can plug your engine into an outlet from a garage (if available) when it is frigidly cold and your car will likely start right up.  

Oh, and as far as washing your car goes, good luck. People here don't seem to do during the winter since the roads are in a constant state of slushyness/wetness. Right when you leave the car wash your car will get coated with salt and slush again. Seems like a lose-lose situation. I gave up on washing my car until I know it will not snow again. 

Lastly, always start your car and let it run for at least five minutes before driving when it is cold. It is hard on the engine to start it up and take off right away. If you can get an engine block heater it will make it easier on your engine as well. You can plug your engine into an outlet from a garage (if available) when it is frigidly cold and your car will likely start right up.

That's not 100% true anymore, although it's best not to immediately take the car onto the interstate. Driving it also allows other parts like your tires to properly warm up in sync with the engine. Although I do recommend storing your car in a garage if at all possible.

Also, fresh oil. Having old oil in a car will make it a lot harder to start in very low temperatures, so it's a good idea to get an oil change near-ish Thanksgiving before it gets really cold.

Lived in Minnesota for quite some time, good snow winter boots are a must especially after heavy snowfall and things haven't been plowed yet. Also an ice scraper kept in your car and ice defroster spray in case your car locks freeze shut. Most important is some sort of kit in your car in case you get stranded. I got stranded on a highway and it was too dangerous to walk to the exit gas station and was so thankful for the warm blanket until the state trooper arrived.

Good luck I'm abandoning winters for my home state of CA this fall!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll suggest keeping at least one spare pair of socks in your bag/desk/gym locker, especially if you won't be driving to and from campus -- and not just during winter. Raleigh has sudden, torrential-style rains a few times a year, and I hate wearing wet socks. And, if you're tromping through snow or sliding around on ice, clean socks can be the most amazing feeling.

I like scarves, both for warmth and as an accessory in general. And shawls, though that's more of a personal style thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, maybe winter is a ways off, but as the summer draws to an end and I continue to prep for my move from the hot, hot south to the north I can't help but notice how ill prepared I am for such a different climate. Where I'm from the whole town shuts down for an inch of snow - I'm not kidding, it happened this "winter." I keep finding out little tidbits of information, like apparently I have to wash my car frequently during the winter in the north to keep it from rusting (I had no idea). 

Does anyone have any other tips like this I should know? I have plans to invest in a warm coat and some good shoes for the snow, but otherwise I'm pretty clueless. I'm sure there will be people in my program who can help me prepare, but like many of you I'm sure, I'm pretty type A and would like to know what I'm getting myself into. 

I hear ya!  We moved from South Florida to New York!